Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out a new review and I noticed a recent quote added to my book:

My cat's name is Yoyo? And two other reviewers made similar statements, seriously?

One of my other books has a quote that says something like, this book is boring--but I can't find any other comments that use the word boring. Still, it's possible I just can't find them.

However, I am 100% sure it's statistically impossible that two other reviewers have cats named Yoyo, let alone mention it in the review!!!

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dayla, Your cat hasn't been leaving reviews has she? Wait, it's a 5-star review, I don't care!

1001nightspress said:
LOL. And 8 other reviewers have first and third-grade grandchilden?
Yes, no one else changed their rating (that I saw). Others have read the book to their school aged kids, so maybe that's were it's coming from, who knows!

Vera Nazarian said:
Just watch, it's just the beginning of the Golden Age of a hot new 2013 trend in reviewing and sock puppetry -- inane stream-of-consciousness reviews with random generator vocabulary!
Actually, I see this a lot in kid reviews. The new review I was checking out goes like this:
"Awesome cool funny like it chugging bug by Guv Hough church uhh church Hough hiccup chic chin chuffed study chi uhh McHugh chin high :(cc ftgffgg"

I'm just glad she didn't give up on leaving the review at all. I wonder how many other kids see their reviews aren't long enough and just give up?

·
Registered
624 Posts
MJAWare said:
I was checking out a new review and I noticed a recent quote added to my book:

My cat's name is Yoyo? And two other reviewers made similar statements, seriously?

One of my other books has a quote that says something like, this book is boring--but I can't find any other comments that use the word boring. Still, it's possible I just can't find them.

However, I am 100% sure it's statistically impossible that two other reviewers have cats named Yoyo, let alone mention it in the review!!!
I left a review recently (for a product, not a book) and all I wanted to do was leave a star rating with no comment. But, it wouldn't let me. And, that was annoying. I suspect your "my cat is yo-yo" reviewer was wanting to give you the stars but was feeling put out at being forced to write a comment. But... I definitely hear you about the whole algorithm thing and the two supposedly similar comments.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think that system is dishonest, misleading, and unethical. On one of my novels and on other novels I've seen, it will quote one person and say others have made similar statements even though you cannot anywhere find the supposedly similar statements. How is Amazon treating my product fairly if they are providing misleading statements? How does it treat reviewers fairly if they imply that many reviewers said something that only one reviewer said? If I thought they'd care or actually respond, I would demand that Amazon provide proof of the similar statements on multiple books. It's a terrible system and I personally don't find it helpful when I read reviews before buying books, especially non-fiction. It's also just one more piece of clutter on the most cluttered shopping site on the web.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.