Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a tweet about this:

http://amazon.com/cloudreader/?tag=kbpst-20

It works in Chrome & Safari, and you can stream your books directly from the cloud. Pretty cool. I tried to "download and pin" a book, but I got an error about not enough space. I'm not sure if that's a bug. If anyone else tries it out, let me know if you get that working.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
In fact, it's already 'live', though not yet publicized much: https://read.amazon.com/about I suppose they're still working out the kinks. . . and I bet it'll be announced when the rumored tablet device becomes available. . . . .

correction: they just announced it on their FaceBook page . . . about an hour ago. . . . . . .

another edit: just 'registered' as I use Chrome on this computer; it shows as another device registered at "manage your kindle". Gonna go try it on my Xoom. ::)

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
Quote from PCMag online:

Amazon on Wednesday unveiled its Kindle Cloud Reader, an HTML5-based reading app accessible via the Web.

The feature is available via amazon.com/cloudreader and provides access to e-books through the browser, offline and online, with no downloading or installation required, Amazon said. Cloud Reader will automatically sync with other Kindle apps, allowing you to start reading on the Web and pick up on an iPhone or Kindle, for example. Books that you are reading will automatically be made available for offline use.

Will this change how you read?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Wow! It's like a Super-app... :D

And like everything Amazon announces, it makes me think they're creating features that they can use when they release an Android tablet. But in this case, I think Amazon is conceding that people would prefer to read ebooks using their web browser, instead of having to fire up a separate "Kindle for PC" or "Kindle for Mac" app.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
The download and pin worked for me but I'm not really sure how it's different - does that mean after downloading a book, if my internet connection went off, I would still be able to read it? Where exactly does it download it too?

So far, the only downside I see is not being able to look up words in the dictionary/wikipedia or highlight/make notes because you can't select text at all. You also can't seem to search books. Hopefully those features will get added in the future because then I can ditch Kindle for PC. I don't really use it much to actually read but rather to look stuff up in non-fiction and highlight it so I can then copy/paste from kindle.amazon.com is really useful.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
This is likely a reaction to having to take out the "buy" button in the Kindle app on the iPhone/iPad.

People have to use the web browser to buy books now, since they can't be bought through the button in the app.  But since this is a Web cloud app, it's not in Apple's app store so they can have people load up the cloud app and buy and read in the same place.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
mooshie78 said:
This is likely a reaction to having to take out the "buy" button in the Kindle app on the iPhone/iPad.

People have to use the web browser to buy books now, since they can't be bought through the button in the app. But since this is a Web cloud app, it's not in Apple's app store so they can have people load up the cloud app and buy and read in the same place.
That makes sense, Mooshie. I was wondering what Amazon planned to counteract Apple's move. Since I don't have a smart phone or tablet, I haven't been affected by the change Apple made, but many of my friends have been unhappy about it.

And on another note, is it just me as a non-techie, non-first user -- I love the use of the word "cloud" because it makes it seem so angelic, bluebirds singing and sweet (aka non-threatening).

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
That's useful information! (Hadn't seen those links - and I'm planning to read up on the new "cloud" browser so I can write something about it for my blog.)

Someone pointed out that Amazon's probably doing this for iPad owners. It gives them an easy way to buy ebooks with an iPad - even if Apple keeps blocking the Amazon app for the iPad!

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Jan Strnad said:
No.

I really don't see the appeal of these "cloud apps." I can store thousands of books on my Kindle, even more on my home computer or a flash drive. Why would I want to move everything to the cloud, where I can lose my connection to it with everything from a lightning strike in a Dublin (http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/237673/lessons_from_amazon_cloud_lightning_strike_outage.html) to a solar flare?
That's the point. Amazon keeps your Kindle books in the cloud for you already. All you have to do is sign in and all of your books are available. Plus on your mobile devices it allows for offline reading.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
KathyCarmichael said:
That makes sense, Mooshie. I was wondering what Amazon planned to counteract Apple's move. Since I don't have a smart phone or tablet, I haven't been affected by the change Apple made, but many of my friends have been unhappy about it.
Yep. For now removing the "buy" button that jumped out the Kindle store in Safari is enough to comply with the new Apple rule. But that's only because Apple softened the rule from when it was first announced. Initially it had said any iOS App store apps that had paid content had to give Apple a 30% cut--regardless of whether it was from an in-app button or bought manually through a web browser and them sent to the App. The dropped the latter half and just required apps to get rid of the in-app buy button unless they give Apple 30% of every sale.

But who knows if Apple will change their mind and go back to the original rule. So this cloud app gives them a sure fire way to stay on iOS even if they'd have to end up leaving the App store due to some future rule change.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
Someone pointed out that Amazon's probably doing this for iPad owners. It gives them an easy way to buy ebooks with an iPad - even if Apple keeps blocking the Amazon app for the iPad!
That was me in the other thread. This was almost no doubt developed when it looked like Apple was going to block any type of app purchases (in app, and out of app purchases) if they didn't get their 30% cut of it--which would have led to Amazon leaving the App store and having to go to a web based solution.

Apple ended up backing off on that rule a bit and just disallowed the in-app buttons that jump to a web browser to buy things unless they get 30%. So the Kindle app is still in the App store and just doesn't have that buy button now (you just have to shop on a computer or manually open safari on the ipad and go to the Kindle store).

But this cloud app would give them a way to put the reading and shopping in the same place, and gives them away to stay on the iOS platform if Apple changes the rule again down the road and does disallow any app store apps to have paid content with giving Apple a cut like they initially planned.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Well, Amazon is expanding again. This can only be good news. ;o) Just wanted to share.

Article excerpt:

Starting today Amazon is releasing The Kindle Cloud Reader software, initially only for the Safari browser for the iPad, Mac desktop and the Chrome browser. In the coming months, an Amazon release says, the Kindle Cloud Reader will be released for Internet Explorer, Firefox, the Blackberry Playbook browser and other web browers.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/bookselling/article/48300-amazon-launches-the-kindle-cloud-reader.html

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Interesting.  I like giving more access to more people to Kindle.  It seems similar to the Google eBookstore which is supposed to do something similar.  It's just a pain the butt to get your books up there.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
I guess I am confused as to how this is different from the Kindle4PC app.  I mean the archive is already a "cloud". It lists a device for the K4PC in account and it seems it does the same to this cloud reader. So  ???

I mean outside of putting it on the Ipad, what is the difference.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts