Kindle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
9,688 Posts
"For dedicated apps in the app store, Apple recently changed their policy to force Amazon to pay royalties for every book sold."

I sell on Apple, and they want 30% from me. They want the same from Amazon.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
MaryMcDonald said:
So does this mean I can technically use the cloud drive as one of the six devices my downloaded books are available on? Because right now, I have two kindles, a pc app, a blackberrry app and an android app for Kindle If my dh gets a Kindle, that will be all the 'devices' that can registered to my account. If I replace the blackberry and android apps with the Cloud one, will that mean I could read on my android phone using the cloud app? And does having the cloud app on my blackberry also count as a seperate device or is it all just one? I'm confused! lol
I don't see anyone commenting on this. There is no limit on how many devices and apps you can have registered on your account. There is only a limit to have the same book on 6 devices at the same time. If the publisher specified 6 devices, I have seen 5 and also unlimited. You can have 10 kindles on your account if you want, but only 6 can have the same book on the device. If you delete the book from one, you can put it up on another, or app or K4PC etc.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Terrence OBrien said:
"For dedicated apps in the app store, Apple recently changed their policy to force Amazon to pay royalties for every book sold."

I sell on Apple, and they want 30% from me. They want the same from Amazon.
That's only apply to pass that sell content by:

-Selling through the app directly (in app purchasing)
-Have a "buy" button in the app that jumps out to Safari

Amazon got around that by removing the "buy" button. The Kindle app still works fine, you just have to manually open a web browser on the iPad and navigate to the Kindle store to buy a book on the iPad. Or you can buy on a computer and select the iPad as the delivery device.

Though again, originally Apple's rule change was going to not allow apps to use any type of paid content without them getting their 30%--so they wouldn't have been able to just remove the buy button as Apple wasn't going to allow any type of paid content to be imported into an app. But they stepped back on that and just said that they must get 30% for any of the two types of sales listed above.

But they could always change their mind and put that original rule change in place, so at least the cloud app gives Amazon a way around that as they could leave the App store and still be on the iPhone and iPad via the cloud app.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Does this mean that they will eventually be doing away with the Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac apps?

·
Registered
163 Posts
A Publishers Weekly article caught my eye today about Amazon's launch of the Kindle Cloud Reader. As I understand it, this will bypass the lock Apple has on it's proprietary purchasing system and it's 30 percent commission. Here, in part, is what the PW announced: 

"...HTML5 technology allows web browsers to provide an online and offline experience that is comparable to a native app and e-tailers and publishers, as well as others looking to sell and attract readers outside of the Apple system, will likely turn to the technology. Most importantly, now e-book retailers like Amazon can offer and market their titles for sale and readers can read their Amazon e-books—online and avalanche as they had previously through the native Apple apps. By setting up a iPad Kindle Store available through the Kindle Cloud Readers/Safari browser with 900,000 titles for sale, Amazon is bypassing Apple's cut of the sale. The Kindle Cloud Reader gives the reader access to all of their previously purchased Kindle e-books, provides automatic software updates, syncs all titles to the last page read and allows consumers to see all annotations and newsstand e-books can be read offline as well. ..."

Has anyone got a look at this Cloud Reader yet?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
This has been in the works for awhile.  It seems to be the end product of Kindle for the Web beta.  I'm betting that at some point all/most of the features in the various apps make it into this one.  Amazon is very good at upgrading all of their apps. 

I feel that it started as an answer to the online Google books and the possibility that Apple might pull the Kindle apps.  And while it may at some point replace the iOS apps for iPhone and iPad, I think it may at this point have just as much to do with the upcoming Amazon tablet.

In any case, Amazon programmers will probably find it easier to keep up with the number of browser versions than OS versions, especially for mobile devices.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Atunah said:
I don't see anyone commenting on this. There is no limit on how many devices and apps you can have registered on your account. There is only a limit to have the same book on 6 devices at the same time. If the publisher specified 6 devices, I have seen 5 and also unlimited. You can have 10 kindles on your account if you want, but only 6 can have the same book on the device. If you delete the book from one, you can put it up on another, or app or K4PC etc.
Yes, I think what Mary is asking is does reading or downloading a book in the cloud reader count as one of the 6 devices you can read a book on (assuming it's licensed for 6 devices simultaneously)? Or is it a way to read a book without eating up one of the simultaneous devices limit? For the sake of ease, let's say the book only allows it to be on 2 devices at the same time and you already have one on your Kindle and one on your phone. Does the cloud reader allow you to also read it on your PC (a third device) without deleting it from one of your other devices?

I would like to know as well but I'm unsure what the answer is.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
geoffthomas said:
Will this change how you read?
No it won't change how or what I read on at all.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
***multiple threads on this topic have been merged. . . sorry for any confusion***

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
history_lover said:
Yes, I think what Mary is asking is does reading or downloading a book in the cloud reader count as one of the 6 devices you can read a book on (assuming it's licensed for 6 devices simultaneously)? Or is it a way to read a book without eating up one of the simultaneous devices limit? For the sake of ease, let's say the book only allows it to be on 2 devices at the same time and you already have one on your Kindle and one on your phone. Does the cloud reader allow you to also read it on your PC (a third device) without deleting it from one of your other devices?

I would like to know as well but I'm unsure what the answer is.
I loaded the cloud reader as I use Chrome on one of my computers. I then went to Manage Your Kindle and it was shown as a device. I would suspect that this means that it also counts as a device when counting license limits.

Incidentally, the version of 'chrome' on my Android tablet is not yet compatible with the cloud reader.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I loaded the cloud reader as I use Chrome on one of my computers. I then went to Manage Your Kindle and it was shown as a device. I would suspect that this means that it also counts as a device when counting license limits.
I noticed that too but if that's the case, how exactly does it work - when a book is opened or only when it's downloaded for offline reading? It would be nice if, in "Manage Your Kindle", they actually showed how many licenses are being used for each book on which devices.

·
Registered
581 Posts
There is something that no one has mentioned that is awesome about the cloud reader.  It can be used on computers at workplaces that do not allow any non-work programs to be downloaded to work PC's/laptops such as the Kindle PC app.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:

Incidentally, the version of 'chrome' on my Android tablet is not yet compatible with the cloud reader.
The Cloud Reader is also incompatible with Internet Explorer 9. I used Safari for Windows and also tested the on the iPad, but as stated earlier I'm not at all impressed with this slow and featureless web reader. One really missed feature is the ability to read in two-page landscape mode, especially on the iPad.

·
Premium Member
6,848 Posts
So if I want to read an Amazon book I can do it from Chrome now or from my kindle for PC or from my kindle .... but unless this new app allows me to read non-amazon books, then it isn't a valid replacement for kindle for PC so I'm not sure it's worth changing from Kindle for PC or my Android Kindle App.  I'll just wait to see what they do with this in later versions before I play with it, I think.

Besides, call me old school, but I don't trust a company to keep everything in their cloud - I want copies of any content I've purchased.

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I probably won't be using Kindle Cloud Reader myself, but I think it's great to have yet another option for reading Kindle e-books!

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I don't consider this a replacement.  I just consider it another place to read my Kindle books.  Then again, I already had a Kindle PC app...so, I am still not entirely sure what good this does.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
DreamWeaver said:
I probably won't be using Kindle Cloud Reader myself, but I think it's great to have yet another option for reading Kindle e-books!
Agreed!

That is the biggest advantage Amazon has over the competition IMO. You can read your Kindle books on pretty much any web connected gadget and sync up to your furthest read page. This just makes that even more true since you can read on any computer without having to install the Kindle app first. So great if you're in a situation where you want to read a bit at friends place on their laptop or whatever.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts