Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been debating Amazon's extended warranty, and it's just about final decision time.  My credit card doubles Amazon's original warranty, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience or opinions on the extended warranty.  I read the fine print, and the only advantage I can see is the one-time replacement for dropping.  They pay postage both ways, but for $65 you can buy a lot of postage.  The folks over at the Amazon forum are pretty much against it.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
KH

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Extended warranties always profit the company offering them - otherwise why would they offer them? Now if you are particularly clumsy and think that it's more likely than not that you'll need to take them up on the one-time accident clause, it may be worth it to you, but on average buying extended warranties costs consumers more money than they save.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Are you the I-drop-everything kind of person, then maybe you need it.

Personally, I never do extended warranties.  They are there to benefit the company, not you.  That's why the company sells them.  Typically, an extended warranty isn't a financially good choice. 

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I went with Square Trade instead.  With the discount codes available on the web (the big 40% of one doesn't work anymore, sigh), and adding Accidental Damage & Handling coverage, it comes to less than the one offered through Amazon.  Their warranty is a year longer (3 total) and there's no one time limitation on the accidental damage rider that I can find.  You do have to buy ADH within the first 30 days of your Kindle purchase.

I have coverage on most of my camera equipment through them, as do quite a few people I know.  And the ones I've talked to who've had to use it have had positive things to say about Square Trade.

While I don't buy extended warrantees in general, for something like this that I'm absolutely certain to drop at some point before I upgrade, I'll take the peace of mind over the possibility I've wasted my money.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the information on Square Trade.  I had never heard of that before.  We tend to buy the extended warranties on laptops because stuff happens to them, so I've seriously considered this one.  I got an email from Amazon this morning, and it hit me I had better make up my mind quickly.  I bought it on an AMEX card so I do have two years of Amazon coverage.  Can someone please post the link to Square Trade?  I'd like to look into that.  Where do you get the discount coupons?  Thanks much!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Trekker said:
Here is the Square Trade site.

Here is a link to a thread that lists discount codes...hopefully they are still valid.
I just checked out the Square Trade site. With the ADH it's $74.99.
But I found a code on RetailMeNot for 30% off- THIRTY30, which brings it down to $52.49.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, Trekker!  However, major bummer.  :'(  I just called Square Trade, and I'm out of the allowable time for the accident coverage.  Your link to the forum told me that they count from the time, not the ship/received date, and I called their customer service.  They count the month you have to buy the accident coverage from the date of purchase, not the shipping or received date.  I bought on Feb. 12, so I'm out of luck although I have documentation for the Feb. 22 shipping date.  The rep said that he had had lots of calls today with the same issue.  So I'm back to where I started.  The good news is that my husband just bought a new camera, and he's thinking about a Square Trade policy on it.  

·
Registered
460 Posts
I figured that if I was paying hundreds of dollars for the device, that I may as well get the warranty as well, just in case. I'm sure nothing will happen to the device, but I would be pretty annoyed if something did happen and I had no warranty.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the help and good advice.  Last night I bought the Amazon extended warranty since Square Trade wouldn't talk to me.  :'(  The deciding factor was the accident replacement.  I did the math and decided that for $2.71 a month it was worth it for the peace of mind.  Even if they send me a refurbished unit, I'm much better off than with nothing.  AMEX will extend the original warranty for a year, but they duplicate Amazon's original coverage - no extras. 

I've learned a bunch of stuff wandering around the Kindle Boards.  You folks are the best!

KH

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hmm.  That seems odd that Squaretrade would start someone's coverage as of the order date for a pre-ordered product.  You'd be paying for warranty coverage on an item that hadn't even been released.  I bought my Squaretrade warranty 2 days before my K2 shipped and based it on the date that my credit card was charged. 

I went off of advice I had seen in another thread on here somewhere where another member said they spoke w/Squaretrade & they were told that Squaretrade would honor the shipping date or the date the person's credit card was actually charged for the Kindle.  It seems impossible to force someone to pay for a warranty for something they hadn't even technically purchased yet since no one's cards were charged prior to a few days before shipping.  Very weird.  Did you ask to speak to a manager?

I suppose it's a moot point now for you since you ended up purchasing the Amazon warranty, but future Kindleboards members might be helped by the info & clarification on the issue.  Very confusing.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
khrunner said:
Thanks, Trekker! However, major bummer. :'( I just called Square Trade, and I'm out of the allowable time for the accident coverage. Your link to the forum told me that they count from the time, not the ship/received date, and I called their customer service. They count the month you have to buy the accident coverage from the date of purchase, not the shipping or received date. I bought on Feb. 12, so I'm out of luck although I have documentation for the Feb. 22 shipping date. The rep said that he had had lots of calls today with the same issue. So I'm back to where I started. The good news is that my husband just bought a new camera, and he's thinking about a Square Trade policy on it.
call back. Let them know you have your charge slip showing you didn't pay until it shipped (credit card statement) and your packing slip should suffice. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
purdueav8r said:
Hmm. That seems odd that Squaretrade would start someone's coverage as of the order date for a pre-ordered product. You'd paying for warranty coverage on an item that hadn't even been released. I bought my Squaretrade warranty 2 days before my K2 shipped and based it on the date that my credit card was charged.

I went off of advice I had seen in another thread on here somewhere where another member said they spoke w/Squaretrade & they were told that Squaretrade would honor the shipping date or the date the person's credit card was actually charged for the Kindle. It seems impossible to force someone to pay for a warranty for something they hadn't even technically purchased yet since no one's cards were charged prior to a few days before shipping. Very weird. Did you ask to speak to a manager?

I suppose it's a moot point now for you since you ended up purchasing the Amazon warranty, but future Kindleboards members might be helped by the info & clarification on the issue. Very confusing.
I was very surprised myself, but the fellow I talked to insisted that was the case. I did point out that on Feb. 12 no one had a Kindle2 yet. He said he had received lots of calls about it. I didn't think to ask to talk to a manager. :-[ I should still be within the 30 days tomorrow, so maybe I will call again and be more insistent. It's less money with an extra year of coverage and no stated limit on the breakage. When I checked the fine print on the Amazon warranty, it said I had 60 days to cancel if there had been no claims. I have both a receipt I printed from the Amazon site and the packing slip.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let us know what happens.  My problem was the 30 day limit on applying for the damage coverage.  My Feb. 12 order put me out of the 30 days.  Amazon counted from when they shipped on the application.  I haven't called Square Trade yet - I've been out all day.  I'm still curious enough to try though.

KH

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I have always thought those extended warranties are to the benefit of the manufacturer, provider, etc.  It seems that most things will last through all the warranties and then start to break down after the time period has expired.  I normally don't buy them for anything as the stats are skewed against you.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts