Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will be little left to promote.  Amazon needs to start a promotional campaign that sells books to the public. Nook has a community that allows a purely self promotional aspect called Read My Book, and it seems to be working.  What this board needs is a method to do the same thing, without having to get involved in a board with tags to even mention a new book coming out, like the one I just published on Friday. I dare not mention the title, WHEN DEATH DIED DOWN, ready for summer reading. There is no other way to do it here, and I've tried.  Maybe with feedback and some common purpose, we can get this thing going by sending emails to those that can make a difference.  Thanks, J Jay Brighton.

·
Registered
982 Posts
J Jay Brighton said:
There will be little left to promote. Amazon needs to start a promotional campaign that sells books to the public. Nook has a community that allows a purely self promotional aspect called Read My Book, and it seems to be working. What this board needs is a method to do the same thing, without having to get involved in a board with tags to even mention a new book coming out, like the one I just published on Friday. I dare not mention the title, WHEN DEATH DIED DOWN, ready for summer reading. There is no other way to do it here, and I've tried. Maybe with feedback and some common purpose, we can get this thing going by sending emails to those that can make a difference. Thanks, J Jay Brighton.
Amazon has a community that allows self-promotion. It's called the "Meet Our Authors" forum.

They started it over on their website a couple weeks back, so I don't see what you're complaining about.

7,412 Posts
Uh, you do realize that "here" and "Amazon" are not affiliated in the slightest, right? Amazon has its own forums; this place was started by Harvey, and is his own personal creation. And there are still plenty of opportunities to advertising, and getting reviews. And they need to start promoting...or what? People will stop self-publishing on Amazon? Hhahahaha. Okay.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Linda Acaster said:
I came across Amazon's Meet The Author thread by accident, and thankfully bookmarked it as I've never come across it any other way. So how do browsing readers?
It's linked at the bottom of the page on Amazon, along with the Kindle forum, the genre forums, the Kindle Books forum, etc.

I'm pretty sure it's only at the bottom when you're in another forum already.

It was also announced in pretty much every other forum too.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Um you must be new. Have you even looked around and explored the forums here?

If you did, you would find there are a lot of ways to promote and share information about your book without being intrusive about it. This is a great community and a way to connect with other Kindle users whether they be readers, writers, publishers, cover artists or developers. You can find a lot of information to help with your writing and promotion efforts as well as get to know some of the fabulous people here but if your sole reason for coming here is to market your book then you're going to be disappointed.

The thing is, you have to make an effort to at least read the bloody forums rules and posts before trolling. Take a little time to explore and get to know people here. Learn about the various sub-forums like the Book Bazaar where you can post about your book or the individual pages and tools set up by Harvey to help authors.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Linda Acaster said:
I came across Amazon's Meet The Author thread by accident, and thankfully bookmarked it as I've never come across it any other way. So how do browsing readers?
I have bookmarked Meet The Author thread too, but when I look on various indie book pages, mine, romances, mysteries, fantasy, etc., I see the usual forums listed at the bottom of those pages, such as, Kindle Forum, Mystery Forum, Kindle Book Forum, etc. which are all under the general Customer Discussions, not under the Meet The Author's Forum. I'd like to see some of the Meet The Authors threads appear at the bottom of book pages too.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
J Jay Brighton said:
There will be little left to promote. Amazon needs to start a promotional campaign that sells books to the public. Nook has a community that allows a purely self promotional aspect called Read My Book, and it seems to be working. What this board needs is a method to do the same thing, without having to get involved in a board with tags to even mention a new book coming out, like the one I just published on Friday. I dare not mention the title, WHEN DEATH DIED DOWN, ready for summer reading. There is no other way to do it here, and I've tried. Maybe with feedback and some common purpose, we can get this thing going by sending emails to those that can make a difference. Thanks, J Jay Brighton.
Jay,

As has been pointed out and is at the bottom of every page, quite well, KindleBoards is not related to Amazon, except as an Amazon affiliate (we do get a tiny percentage of every sale from the links we use).

In addition, here on KindleBoards, every author may have a book thread for each of their books, and there are opportunities for ads at the top of the forum page, and you may use your book covers in your avatar and your signature.

Finally, Amazon does have a place where they promote their books. A little thing called the Amazon Kindle store.

Betsy

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'd also like to point something out: with Amazon you don't NEED to do the kind of promotion which authors do for Nook.

Amazon is a search company, and specializes in putting readers together with books they'll like.  Yes, your book has to prove itself first, so that Amazon has proper stats for recommendations, and that can take time.  But the thing to remember is that Amazon does a much better job of promoting books on its site than authors do.  It all happens on the reader end.

Promote your book just the plain old natural way.  Make connections with readers, send copies to review sites, advertise, announce the book in appropriate places on forums, but most of all keep writing more books.  As sales trickle in, and Amazon gets data as to who will most like your book, Amazon will start promoting your book internally.  This is unlike Barnes and Noble, where even people LOOKING for your book intentionally may have a hard time finding it.

Camille

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I think you're focusing too much on selling your book(s). First, figure out how to change your signature line so people can see your books. There's a sticky at the top of the Writer's Cafe on how to put your book in your signature line.

Once you can see your book with each post, then you need to start making friends here. Participate in conversations. Be nice. Let people get to know you as a person. When they do, they will naturally want to know more about your books.

If all you do is come here and post about "buy my book" or "why don't I get sales?" then you won't be successful here.

Hope that helps!

Vicki

G

·
People on this board are doing quite well.  You should take the time to study what they are doing.  It takes time to sell books.  You can't expect anyone else to promote your work.  YOU need to take action.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Finally, Amazon does have a place where they promote their books. A little thing called the Amazon Kindle store.

Betsy
Betsy! You just made me spew coffee all over my keyboard! Luckily, I'm at work ;). LOL. I'm still giggling and having a hard time writing this, that might be the funniset thing I have read in a long time! Thanks!

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Half-Orc said:
Uh, you do realize that "here" and "Amazon" are not affiliated in the slightest, right? Amazon has its own forums; this place was started by Harvey, and is his own personal creation. And there are still plenty of opportunities to advertising, and getting reviews. And they need to start promoting...or what? People will stop self-publishing on Amazon? Hhahahaha. Okay.
As always, David is the voice of reason ;)

·
Registered
733 Posts
The way I see it, Amazon is the distributor not the publisher: you the author are the publisher (they don't call it "self-publishing" for nothing!). This means that, as your own boss and employee you are also publishing CEO, CFO, Marketing Director, Editing Department, etc. It falls on your shoulders to do the promotion, not Amazon's - the cut they take is for the distribution, not normal publishing duties.

Welcome to your new life as an entrepreneur!! :D

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
J Jay Brighton said:
I dare not mention the title, WHEN DEATH DIED DOWN, ready for summer reading.
Wow. To someone who dares not even mention the title, that was pretty brazen ::)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Thundergeoff said:
People on this board are doing quite well. You should take the time to study what they are doing. It takes time to sell books. You can't expect anyone else to promote your work. YOU need to take action.
Exactly. Well said.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts