Kindle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
I would believe that Kindle has at least 60-65% of the market. I'd have guessed an even higher percentage.

My Kindle sales are 15-20x my B&N sales, yet B&N claims 25% of the ebook market. I don't know what you can extrapolate from the sales of a single, indie horror novel, but my "blind man and the elephant" impression is that the Kindle rules.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
Yeah, my Kindle sales, compared to BN are just out of the stratosphere.  Kindle fans are also more receptive.  I have been participating on Nookboards, too, and I rarely get any responses like I do here.

Anyway, I am glad the Kindle is outselling the rest.  I also hope that dedicated ereader fans will out-number the touchscreen tablet people.

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
Jan Strnad said:
I would believe that Kindle has at least 60-65% of the market. I'd have guessed an even higher percentage.
Just from comparing my Kindle book sales to my Nook book sales, I too would've expected the percentage to be higher in favor of the Kindle.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
The Kindle had a head start. The first Nook wasn't released until November of 2009. By then Amazon had already had a Kindle on the market for more than two years.

Plus, the Kindle's worked its way into a lot of mass distribution channels since then. You can now by a Kindle at Walmart, Staples, Best Buy, and Target.  And that's before you even consider the fact that the Kindle is just a better reader.  (Consumer Reports did a head-to-head comparison of all the digital readers, and the Kindle was the only one they recommended.)

I've heard estimates that between 2010 and 2011, 15 million more Kindles will be sold, so the Kindle will probably keep hanging on to it's big share of the market!

·
Registered
187 Posts
I remember when just about the only e-reader was the Rocket Reader (Sony?). It's so amazing ten years later the difference in e-reading! I have a friend who reads on her itty bitty cell phone!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
The Kindle had a head start. The first Nook wasn't released until November of 2009. By then Amazon had already had a Kindle on the market for more than two years.

Plus, the Kindle's worked its way into a lot of mass distribution channels since then. You can now by a Kindle at Walmart, Staples, Best Buy, and Target. And that's before you even consider the fact that the Kindle is just a better reader. (Consumer Reports did a head-to-head comparison of all the digital readers, and the Kindle was the only one they recommended.)

I've heard estimates that between 2010 and 2011, 15 million more Kindles will be sold, so the Kindle will probably keep hanging on to it's big share of the market!
You never know with technology advancements but I expect Kindle will keep its big lead too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hey everyone,
Don't rule out the ipad 2 and other completely unknown devices just yet. We're in the very infancy of e-readers right now, and, without sounding too much like a crack-pot conspiracy theorist, considering how far ahead technology actually is to how much the general public actually knows about, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a successor was already well underway -- or at least being seriously thought about.

I own a Kindle and have no intention of changing, so for the Kindle's sake I hope it stays on top for a while.
C

·
Registered
904 Posts
I don't see Kindle's lead going away any time soon.  For $114, you can get a great reader that has direct access to a ginormous ebook store.  I really REALLY doubt that a majority of people interested in an ereader are going to be spending $400+ on an iPad/iPad 2 just to use it as an ereader, so I can't really see Apple's toy as being one to usurp the throne from Kindle.  Now, some other dedicated ereader device comes out, has great usability, wide book access, AND is inexpensive?  Watch out, Amazon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Me and My Kindle said:
Not only that, but Amazon has arguably perfected online ordering, whereas Barnes and Noble (whose internet sales were at one time "powered by Amazon") still has a lot of work to do to make their online ordering a lot more user friendly.

This extends to small press publishers & self published authors; as the process by which then can sell and promote their offerings, at least on the surface, appears to be much more user friendly than any other site.

·
Registered
685 Posts
balaspa said:
Anyway, I am glad the Kindle is outselling the rest. I also hope that dedicated ereader fans will out-number the touchscreen tablet people.
But isn't a reader a reader no matter what the form, and a potential customer?

You have a better chance of getting more people to read that haven't for awhile with the increase of tablet sales, because with the "kindle for _____", every tablet can also be a kindle.

So doesn't the main goal of "getting people reading and buying your book" matter more than what THEY personally choose to read on?

I'm awaiting delivery of a KSO. After setting it up, I doubt i will ever read a book on it. It is for my special needs daughter. I love my reading experience on my iPad...

·
Registered
993 Posts
TraceyC/FL said:
So doesn't the main goal of "getting people reading and buying your book" matter more than what THEY personally choose to read on?
Gotta agree. I love reading on my kindle, but my hubby prefers the nook, and even reads on his iPhone. That's fine with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts