Kindle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's one available for pre-order. I did not know that. :)

It also looks like she has some other books out:

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanks! I'm a huge Buffy fan. These look pretty interesting, I added them to my wishlist. If you end up reading any of them, make sure you come back and do a review...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Isn't Christopher Golden the one who wrote lots of the Buffy books?  I have mostly avoided books that tie-in to movies and/or TV series (that is, when the books come after, not when they come first!).  The only one that I think that I have read is the novelization for The Lost Boys.  From what I remember, it was almost exactly like the movie, down to the "Can a billion Chinese people be wrong?" line.

But, anyway, I may have to check these out.  I thought that she was a wonderful actress, and always enjoyed listening to interviews with her.  She seems pretty intelligent.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bosslady said:
Thanks! I'm a huge Buffy fan. These look pretty interesting, I added them to my wishlist. If you end up reading any of them, make sure you come back and do a review...
Definitely.

Depending on how seriously you take your Buffydom, there are some pretty good essay books out there, but not on Kindle:

And for Firefly fans, can also recommend:

and

For the uninitiated, those who wonder who there can be philosophy books on a show that sounds like the TV equivalent of bubble gum, the show tackles some pretty deep issues. Joss Whedon, the creator, was sick of seeing the little blonde girl always dying in some dark alley -- he wanted her to "take back the night." It's a show about not judging a book by its cover, about doing the right thing even when it's hard, about girls growing to be strong, and how the best families are the ones you make with a close knit group of friends.

Mr. Whedon's mother was a founder of a grounp called Equality Now, and it being raised by her that taught him to appreciate strong and capable women. He published one of the most eloquent denouncements of honor killings that I have ever seen:

http://whedonesque.com/comments/13271

Anyhow, that's why there are books that take BTVS, and her creator, seriously.

(And please click to get the books on Kindle! Thank you. :))

·
Registered
261 Posts
MichelleR said:
For the uninitiated, those who wonder who there can be philosophy books on a show that sounds like the TV equivalent of bubble gum
That's funny; for years, all I knew about the series BTVS was the title, and all I could think of was "how dumb, you've got to be kidding me". But then there was a marathon on Spike, and with nothing else to do that night, I watched 4 or 5 episodes in a row, and was amazed. It was hilarious; but not only that, the character development was spot-on; I hate shows where the characterization randomly changes from one episode to another, depending upon how pressed they were for time or which writer slept with the director that week. As far as strong women, I worked in the corporate world for many years, and was often criticized for attributes that would have been praised had I been a man, so I could relate to wanting to kick some serious *** and get away with it.

Anyway, due to budget constraints, I have never been able to buy all the offshoot writings that come from various series/movies etc. that I like, but will click to get them on kindle for future reference. Thanks!

I did a Firefly marathon while visiting my sister last October (had never seen it before) and so ended up getting the boxed set for myself for xmas. So now I'm making DH and DS watch them, and when we are done (one more disc) I'll let them watch Serenity.

What's Joss been working on lately?

ps I thought your '25 random' were the most entertaining of the bunch!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, Dollhouse stars Eliza Dushku -- Faith from Buffy.

You can see episodes on Hulu.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts