Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm super frustrated and hoping some of you more seasoned authors can shed some light for me. Does AMS automatically flag and reject ads that contain certain words in the ad copy?

I'm trying to run ads on my crime thriller. Several of my category ads went through that contained boring ad copy such as "fast-paced thriller" or "first book in new series." But when I tried to run several ads with my "hook" copy that contained the word "killer," they all got rejected. I understand they don't like violence in their ads, but it's a crime thriller...and I feel like "killer" is a pretty generic and tame word.

Are there other words that I should stay away from as I try to put together more ad copy versions?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kathy I forget now where I heard it, but if memory serves it was during one of Mark Dawson's free webinars. Anyway, the gist of it was the comparison between standard ads and those with custom text indicated that the cover was the draw for clicks, not the tiny words below. So, presuming that is correct, I say stick with standard ads and don't worry about "hook" copy for now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. They are all sponsored ads, so not lockscreen. My cover could be questionable though because it has a bloodied knife (not pointed at or in anyone). Just a knife by itself with blood on it. But my category ads with generic "first installment in new series" copy was approved and is delivering. So I feel that maybe the cover isn't the issue. It's only when I use a hook that includes the word "killer" that it gets rejected.

Perhaps my cover is also a problem but maybe they don't look at it unless it's flagged by violent words. I'm afraid of getting my account banned so I'm trying to tread very carefully and only launch one "safe" ad at a time. I just wish there was a list of no-no words. Will "murder" or "murdered" also get rejected? All my best hooks have those words in it. It's a crime thriller so there's definitely murder going on.

·
Registered
334 Posts
They do ban ads with guns or other obvious weapons on the cover. It's a pain in the butt, but I've been known to deliberately ask cover designers to make the weapons inconspicuous for this very reason.

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
I wish I could remember where I saw it, but someone had a general list of things that couldn't be done in ads. Ads are a lot stricter than publishing, since the ads go all over and not everyone is looking at books. So, sex stuff, politics and religion stuff, blood, gore and the like will get the ad rejected. It may come about that someone looks at your cover and rejects you for that.

I don't think it's any danger to your KDP account, it just makes it harder to get ads through.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts