Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running a 99 cent stacked promo for my quasi-military thriller Betrayed Heroes (in sig) and will raise the price to 4.99 when it's over November 1. Questions:

1) What do you normally start your AMS bids at (generally speaking)?
2) What would you suggest as an effective starting bid for Betrayed Heroes?
3) Is there any advantage to starting the AMS campaign early while the book is still at 99 cents?

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't use AMS anymore because I've had such terrible results with AMS but I did want to mention that it takes time for AMS's bots to become active. I don't know why, but in the past it always took a couple days for me to get any results at all. So as to when: if you're planning to boost a promotion, I'd run it a little on the early side (results I'm talking about are like 100 impressions versus 1500. In my experience, it can make this much of a difference with everything the same, like the same bid, blurb, etc).

Edit: I meant impressions, not clicks. Word edited.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Can't really help you with the AMS, as I've not used it in a while. Going to be starting up with it again after Christmas, but I just wanted to say that it looks like all your hard work with starting a new series has certainly paid off - the reviews on your new book seem to be a much higher average than your comedy books, so great work changing tact, dude!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Your new cover is great! As to ams ads, its tricky because there are so many variables.  With no follow up book, I would be wary of bidding to get top spot.

2. As to the starting bid, I dont know your genre so cant help there.

3. Is there any advantage to starting the AMS campaign early while the book is still at 99 cents?

Absolutely there is an advantage. You can test keywords, ad copy and other factors before it goes up in price. For example, if your targeting the keyword "Florida Navy Seals", and are not getting clicks or sales at 99 cents its best to figure out now. In other words, you want to take the pricing equation out and see if its blurb/cover/ad copy etc.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Usually I'll start off at 0.25 for a bid and then give it a couple days and look at impressions.  If it's getting a decent amount of traffic then I'll try to edge it down until I start to see it not being effective anymore.  Or if it doesn't do much, then I start to push it up until I see it begin to hit.  Honestly, my results have been all over the place so I'm mostly trying to get costs as low as I can while still trying to be somewhat effetive.  I've got one AMS ad running right now for the same book at the same price with the same keywords and bids as I did a couple months ago and I'm seeing much lower numbers just in impressions.  And, running them in different genres will be different.  When I do ads for a mystery book I have to bid a lot higher than a sci fi book.

It's all hard to say for sure.  Things always change and I haven't run any ads in your genre or anything.  The only thing I can suggest is to watch your bid and constantly tweak it.  That sweet spot where your ROI is max may move around a lot.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alhawke said:
I don't use AMS anymore because I've had such terrible results with AMS but I did want to mention that it takes time for AMS's bots to become active. I don't know why, but in the past it always took a couple days for me to get any results at all. So as to when: if you're planning to boost a promotion, I'd run it a little on the early side (results I'm talking about are like 100 impressions versus 1500. In my experience, it can make this much of a difference with everything the same, like the same bid, blurb, etc).

Edit: I meant impressions, not clicks. Word edited.
Thanks a lot, A.L. That makes sense. And it shouldn't be too cost prohibitive because the impressions come in so slowly.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gareth K Pengelly said:
Can't really help you with the AMS, as I've not used it in a while. Going to be starting up with it again after Christmas, but I just wanted to say that it looks like all your hard work with starting a new series has certainly paid off - the reviews on your new book seem to be a much higher average than your comedy books, so great work changing tact, dude!
Thanks Gareth!

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Trioxin 245 said:
Your new cover is great! As to ams ads, its tricky because there are so many variables. With no follow up book, I would be wary of bidding to get top spot.

2. As to the starting bid, I dont know your genre so cant help there.

3. Is there any advantage to starting the AMS campaign early while the book is still at 99 cents?

Absolutely there is an advantage. You can test keywords, ad copy and other factors before it goes up in price. For example, if your targeting the keyword "Florida Navy Seals", and are not getting clicks or sales at 99 cents its best to figure out now. In other words, you want to take the pricing equation out and see if its blurb/cover/ad copy etc.
Thanks Trioxin. The great cover credit goes to Cagnes (here in the forum). Thanks for the suggestion to avoid top spot bidding with no follow-up at hand. And thanks too for the testing advantage of starting early.

I need to work at seeing AMS as a loss leader. I still kind of dread having my bid be higher than my potential profit.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NikOK said:
Usually I'll start off at 0.25 for a bid and then give it a couple days and look at impressions. If it's getting a decent amount of traffic then I'll try to edge it down until I start to see it not being effective anymore. Or if it doesn't do much, then I start to push it up until I see it begin to hit. Honestly, my results have been all over the place so I'm mostly trying to get costs as low as I can while still trying to be somewhat effetive. I've got one AMS ad running right now for the same book at the same price with the same keywords and bids as I did a couple months ago and I'm seeing much lower numbers just in impressions. And, running them in different genres will be different. When I do ads for a mystery book I have to bid a lot higher than a sci fi book.

It's all hard to say for sure. Things always change and I haven't run any ads in your genre or anything. The only thing I can suggest is to watch your bid and constantly tweak it. That sweet spot where your ROI is max may move around a lot.
Thanks Nik. Good advice. I guess it's endlessly tweaking it that is the only way to go. Appreciate your feedback.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
#I guess there are advantages to 99c on AMS as already mentioned. However, as a first book in a series with no follow up, profit is going to be hard come by unless you garner tens of thousands of page reads. With that cover and those reviews to date, that could well be so. However it's a gamble.

One thing I'd consider is that at 99c you only have 35c royalty. Yours is a popular genre so I would guess that anything less than 35c as a bid wont really get you much in the way of placement from what I've experienced with a similar genre. With that in mind you would need to get a sale for every click, which is unheard of, even at 99c.

If you take an average of 10 clicks as an average to one sale, then with a bid cost of 35c you'll have to spend 3.50 for every 35c earned. That could quickly become a money pit.

At 4.99 you are in with a chance of breaking even on clicks to sales with the royalty earned, then sales of the print book and especially page reads should put you in profit. I would think the higher the price, the more the page reads as at 4.99 it would represent a good saving for the KU enrolled reader.

You have a lot going for you in terms of the cover and reviews to wait until it reverts to 4.99.

Saying that, if you can afford to throw a loss budget at it at 99c, it may help sales to gain a decent category rank when it starts at 4.99 which will also help the the readers decision to maybe buy .

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Decon said:
#I guess there are advantages to 99c on AMS as already mentioned. However, as a first book in a series with no follow up, profit is going to be hard come by unless you garner tens of thousands of page reads. With that cover and those reviews to date, that could well be so. However it's a gamble.

One thing I'd consider is that at 99c you only have 35c royalty. Yours is a popular genre so I would guess that anything less than 35c as a bid wont really get you much in the way of placement from what I've experienced with a similar genre. With that in mind you would need to get a sale for every click, which is unheard of, even at 99c.

If you take an average of 10 clicks as an average to one sale, then with a bid cost of 35c you'll have to spend 3.50 for every 35c earned. That could quickly become a money pit.

At 4.99 you are in with a chance of breaking even on clicks to sales with the royalty earned, then sales of the print book and especially page reads should put you in profit. I would think the higher the price, the more the page reads as at 4.99 it would represent a good saving for the KU enrolled reader.

You have a lot going for you in terms of the cover and reviews to wait until it reverts to 4.99.

Saying that, if you can afford to throw a loss budget at it at 99c, it may help sales to gain a decent category rank when it starts at 4.99 which will also help the the readers decision to maybe buy .
Thanks for the great, and comprehensive, advice, Declan. :) I like your approach to it. Being the first book in the series, I know profitability via AMS is a tough, if not impossible, road to go down. But like you said, if I look at the AMS budget as a loss budget, that could lead to good things when the book goes to $4.99. Thanks too for the suggestion of the 0.35 bid. I was thinking 0.33 now I'll up it a bit.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Gregg, have you had any luck running your ads?  I've been having issues with one of mine and wasn't sure if AMS was having problems.  It's been displaying "no data available" for 6 days or so and I might just take it down and try to do it again.  I've had this happen before, but it's usually over within a day or so.  Was just wondering if it was working normal for other people.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
The cost of using it has skyrocketed.

I was recently approached by Amazon Ads team for a quick 30 minute phone call to see if I wanted to jump on their managed ads option.

Minimum was 30k a month and trusting them with managing and telling me what worked and what didn't. Yeah. No thanks. I don't trust them as it is nevermind handing over 30k to a system that seems oversaturated already.

Some ads work for me

Lately Im spending more than i make.

Its not what it used to be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there any advantage to starting the AMS campaign early while the book is still at 99 cents?
I bid 0.25. Right now I only do ads in the first 20 days, because I've noticed an algo bump I get if my sells are consistent for that length of time. Then the book sells steady on its own for a while. Whenever you have a new release, you might want to try to chase after that bump as well, and not wait to advertise, but I have no idea if you'll see the same results. It's not something I've discussed with other authors but I have heard of others experiencing this bump. I don't know for sure if they were advertising too and if advertising has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
NikOK said:
Gregg, have you had any luck running your ads? I've been having issues with one of mine and wasn't sure if AMS was having problems. It's been displaying "no data available" for 6 days or so and I might just take it down and try to do it again. I've had this happen before, but it's usually over within a day or so. Was just wondering if it was working normal for other people.
Hi Nik. I've got three ads running. One for three weeks and two I just started yesterday. They all seem to be getting impressions, and I haven't seen the "no data available" message on any of them.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anotherpage said:
The cost of using it has skyrocketed.

I was recently approached by Amazon Ads team for a quick 30 minute phone call to see if I wanted to jump on their managed ads option.

Minimum was 30k a month and trusting them with managing and telling me what worked and what didn't. Yeah. No thanks. I don't trust them as it is nevermind handing over 30k to a system that seems oversaturated already.

Some ads work for me

Lately Im spending more than i make.

Its not what it used to be.
Thanks page. Yeah, I laugh out loud when I see some of the suggested bids. I've never made money using the ads. I'm just trying to support a new release.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
psnew said:
I bid 0.25. Right now I only do ads in the first 20 days, because I've noticed an algo bump I get if my sells are consistent for that length of time. Then the book sells steady on its own for a while. Whenever you have a new release, you might want to try to chase after that bump as well, and not wait to advertise, but I have no idea if you'll see the same results. It's not something I've discussed with other authors but I have heard of others experiencing this bump. I don't know for sure if they were advertising too and if advertising has anything to do with it.
Thanks psnew. Yeah, I guess it's pretty unpredictable. I'm using them for the first month and then I'll re-evaluate.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Gregg Bell said:
Hi Nik. I've got three ads running. One for three weeks and two I just started yesterday. They all seem to be getting impressions, and I haven't seen the "no data available" message on any of them.
Ah crud, I will have to look into it. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts