Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During a discussion about writing and self-pubbing and amazon and ebooks:

Lady: So you're selling those books on amazon?
Me: Yup, I have two out now.
Lady: Oh, so they're not real books.
ME: Um, yes. They're real books.
Lady: I mean, they're not book-books
(at this point I think she's confusing ebooks and "real" paper books)
ME: No, they're real. It's only they're digital.
Lady: No. I mean, you made them up. They're not real.
ME: Well, I did make them up, but they're real. *worries about ladies sanity*
Lady: No, I mean, they're not by a real author *stops worrying and gets annoyed*
ME: I'm the author.
Lady: But you just made the up.
ME: Right. That's how people make books.
Lady: But real authors write their books.
ME: ???
Lady: And you just made them up.
ME: And them wrote them down. Like all other real authors. And other real books.
Lady: *grumbly* It's not the same. It's their job. It's their job. It's not like making up you're little stories is work. I read that part and it was funny. Your books must be fun to work. Not the same.
Me: Ok. Well, I need to grab more tea. Can I get you anything from the kitchen *walks away and gets lost in the other room*

·
Administrator
10,147 Posts
:'(

·
Registered
186 Posts
I get this one all the time:

Person: So who is your publisher?
Me: Me.
Person: Oh...(face falls).

Usually it ends there, but I just know most people completely write me off since I "didn't get published" so my books must be "not real."

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
You missed your cue.

When she said, "So, they're not real books", you should've asked what she considers 'real'. Now you are essentially telling her that what she thinks is not real is real, but you haven't asked her why she doesn't consider your book 'not real'. By the time she is explaining what she means, she's clearly frustrated. And so are you. A classic case of two people talking and neither one understanding what the other is saying.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was pretty funny. She was actually pretty great about self-publishing. She'd read some and really liked them... I think it was the "knowing" someone thing. Like, well, I know you so it can't be real.

Um, maybe?

LOL

But, the books fun! So it must be easy to write! And there's no time at all put into it! LOL

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I think I prefer not to know what people think about me and my book, thankyouverymuch.

Maybe this dialogue can be grist for the mill for a future story? Then you can give her a unibrow or a smelly growth on her face that she also seems to be unaware of...

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John Daulton said:
You should have thrown water on her to see if she was a real witch.
*snort* I learned a few years ago after a big argument with someone where even when he knew he was wrong he wouldn't admit it, but just kept arguing "bc" (about something else, not this) that it's not worth it.

I've seen it tossed around here that if you don't engage in arguments you're being fake. I've walked away from those too.

I don't engage in fights, not for the other person, but for myself. They stress me out and people who are as narrow minded as the "real book" woman aren't going to change their minds. I'd rather just point and laugh when she can't see me.... Yeah, not quite the high road ;)

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shawn Inmon said:
I think I prefer not to know what people think about me and my book, thankyouverymuch.

Maybe this dialogue can be grist for the mill for a future story? Then you can give her a unibrow or a smelly growth on her face that she also seems to be unaware of...
Seeing as my series is about writers... It's very possible ;)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I usually shut people up by saying " Yes, I'm the author and publisher, I use Barnes and Noble and Amazon for my digital distribution directly so I cut out the middlemen."

Then it's "ooooh, ahhhh, you're a business genius."

Then I say "Thank you, Seattle, and good night!" ::bow::

Okay, I only use the first sentence, and all the big words usually hurt their heads, so the conversation ends.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Lady: *grumbly* It's not the same. It's their job. It's their job. It's not like making up you're little stories is work. I read that part and it was funny. Your books must be fun to work. Not the same.

LOL! Omg, I woulda laughed like crazy and then asked what the heck she does for a living. Its gotta be something horrid.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Here is what I tell people, in my publishing company:

1)the writers are prima-donnas
2)the head of sales is an A**hole
3)the marketing guys are clueless
4)and the CEO is completely detached from the whole process

And then I tell them what's really weird is they all have the same name

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.