Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm feeling rather sheepish this morning. I've always grumbled about the fact that my AMS ad appears when people search for my book - which means I am paying for clicks that are totally unnecessary. But I just realized (for the first time - face palm), that that can be prevented by adding the name of the book (as an "exact" or "phrase" match) to the negative keywords!

Just throwing that out there in case anyone else has been, er, paying for clicks on organic searches for their own books :)

·
Registered
625 Posts
EmparentingMom said:
So I'm feeling rather sheepish this morning. I've always grumbled about the fact that my AMS ad appears when people search for my book - which means I am paying for clicks that are totally unnecessary. But I just realized, for the first time (face palm), that that can be prevented by adding the name of the book (as an "exact" or "phrase" match) to the negative keywords!

Just throwing that out there in case anyone else has been, er, paying for clicks on organic searches for their own books :)
Dammit! I've never even thought about it. :) Thanks a lot for the tip!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I always used to do that, until someone pointed out that if you don't, when people search for YOUR books they might buy someone else's.

·
Registered
716 Posts
You could if you want to but I'd much rather CREATE campaigns that are focused only on my branded keywords or ASINs. It can work very well to protect your real estate.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Simon Haynes said:
I always used to do that, until someone pointed out that if you don't, when people search for YOUR books they might buy someone else's.
If they are searching for your book (something like title and author) then there is a very slim chance that they are going to buy someone's else book and not yours because of an ad.

Also, I believe pretty firmly that for the last couple of years, the A9 algorithm counts advertised sales at a percentage lower than organic sales. So stealing an organic sale from yourself is actually harmful for your search rankings in addition to costing you money.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
claycasey said:
If they are searching for your book (something like title and author) then there is a very slim chance that they are going to buy someone's else book and not yours because of an ad.
Yeah, I figure if someone is actually searching for my book (a relatively rare occurence, to be sure...), they will click on the organic search result if there's no ad.

·
Registered
716 Posts
markpauloleksiw said:
Been wondering how do you target specific ASIN? I mean when enter the key words what do you type is it ASIN xxx or just he xxx?

Mark
Create a Manual campaign then select Product Targeting. Click over on the tab for Individual Products and enter your ASINs.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
鬼 said:
Create a Manual campaign then select Product Targeting. Click over on the tab for Individual Products and enter your ASINs.
Do people actually search for an AISN number?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Marti talbott said:
Do people actually search for an AISN number?
That's not why it's used. You target by ASIN to ensure you're showing up on that ASIN's Spons Carousel or next to it in the search results. It's more precise, basically. You're not "hoping" to land there through keywords.

·
Registered
8,167 Posts
EmparentingMom said:
So I'm feeling rather sheepish this morning. I've always grumbled about the fact that my AMS ad appears when people search for my book - which means I am paying for clicks that are totally unnecessary. But I just realized (for the first time - face palm), that that can be prevented by adding the name of the book (as an "exact" or "phrase" match) to the negative keywords!

I wonder how much it would ends up costing authors each year to have their ads appear when someone searches for their exact book. Also, how is an author to know to that readers are searching for their book by title? I guess an AMS report can tell them. How's that for answering my own question?? 8)

·
Registered
5,853 Posts
wearywanderer64 said:
I've never done AMS. Could you please give an example how to word it?

Thanks in advance.
When you set up a manual targeting campaign in AMS, you put in a list of keywords so that people searching for those keywords will be presented with your book in your ad (if you bid enough). To exclude it you just put the title of your own book in the exclude keywords box. If you've never done an ad, it's hard to explain otherwise and I wouldn't recommend you try those ads without some guidance.

Personally, I've never done well with AMS ads. I much prefer Facebook, but again, it must be targeted properly.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Note: this only becomes relevant if you use a title which many other books have as well. Also remember to think about partial searches - you might turn up for snarky urban / cozy witch ways or whatever if you do not target right.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts