1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
434 Posts
That is a lot of work for a single $119 Kindle! 

It does make you wonder if they are testing the system as a means to get a bunch of devices and/or books. 

If the bad guys put that much effort into a real job they could afford to buy a bunch of Kindles/books!

·
Registered
904 Posts
And the Rube Goldberg Criminal Award goes to...

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
But for this scam to work they have to have a persons full address, name and their amazon account email and they have to know that that specific person owns a new kindle.

So where are they getting that data from.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Atunah said:
But for this scam to work they have to have a persons full address, name and their amazon account email and they have to know that that specific person owns a new kindle.

So where are they getting that data from.
If you have the name, address is easy. As to names and possession of new Kindles, Amazon product reviews, FBI FB (stupid ipad autocorrect!) postings, or comments in Internet forums could be the source.

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
They'll have to start asking more detailed stuff from folks calling. Either have the option to create a pin code to be used for this, or maybe ask about a couple of specific orders and what they were. So they can verify the person calling is the owner of the account and the items ordered on it.

There is something to be said not to put all your info out there for everyone to see like facebook. And especially don't use your amazon email for regular other stuff so its plastered all over the web.

I mean if you write a review on amazon for a kindle and you use your real name, list your full address in your profile and then also add your amazon email to be reached at for the public to see, this should be a wakeup call.

That is why I don't like when some ask for reviews to only count from real names. With all this stuff going on, why would anyone want to use their real name anymore. Madness.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Atunah said:
That is why I don't like when some ask for reviews to only count from real names. With all this stuff going on, why would anyone want to use their real name anymore. Madness.
I guess I am in serious trouble since I go by my real name here for everyone to see! ;D

·
Registered
3 Posts
what about just de-registering the kindle after you order it? or skipping that step altogether and saying that it's a gift. would that help this problem? i am ordering one soon and this story has me a little spooked.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
An earlier case like this was discussed here, I don't remember too many of the specifics; seems to me it was a Seattle case.

Betsy.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had one of my PW's stolen in shipment and had about $70 worth of charges placed on my account. Amazon needs to tighten up the ship a bit.

·
Registered
923 Posts
BeastMD said:
I had one of my PW's stolen in shipment and had about $70 worth of charges placed on my account. Amazon needs to tighten up the ship a bit.
After hearing about Kindles going astray in shipping I've started marking any Kindle I buy as a "gift" so that it isn't preregistered to my account.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Trophywife007 said:
After hearing about Kindles going astray in shipping I've started marking any Kindle I buy as a "gift" so that it isn't preregistered to my account.
That's a good idea!

·
Super Moderator
67,396 Posts
Trophywife007 said:
I wouldn't worry about it. . .I don't think it's a thing that happens all that often. I've had probably 9 or 10 kindles shipped to me and none have gone astray. If one did, I'd just de-register it. . . . .

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I wouldn't worry about it. . .I don't think it's a thing that happens all that often. I've had probably 9 or 10 kindles shipped to me and none have gone astray. If one did, I'd just de-register it. . . . .
I agree that this isn't a huge threat, I was just amused at how the idea worked the system to defuse this particular scam.

·
Registered
209 Posts
BeastMD said:
So someone ordered $70 worth of books? They weren't able to get anything else, were they? Did Amazon refund the money to you?

Shari

1 - 17 of 17 Posts