Kindle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like books in the 8x5" size on CreateSpace, so when I set my book up there I made it 8x5.5" and formatted it correctly and set the cover etc.,

Two things that happened that I hadn't anticipated. The first was it increased the cost of the book (more pages) compared to the recommended size of 9x6" and the second was that increase in pages (480) then reflected back on Amazon for the electronic version of the book which was only 306 pages before the 'real pages' took over.

I have a call into Amazon to change it, and hopefully they will do that in next few days because I DO believe many people wouldn't click on the BUY button for a book that was that long... what do you think?

Anyway, it's surprising how little things can create big (and expensive) effects. :(

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For our blog we get readers contacting us and there are more people who ask for longer books.

Perhaps they request more often. Perhaps Kindle readers prefer longer books.

Personally I'd prefer a longer book. If you like it, then you want it to be engrossing and a long satisfying journey.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
A a reader, I don't even look at the page counts, regardless of genre. As I writer I always include an approx word count at the end of my description - might be meaningless to many people, but us writers are also readers too and that's how I determine how long a book is!

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My last three books have been in the 180-225 page range and I thought I was pushing it with 306 pages. However, when Amazon pushed it to 480 I thought it might be taking it out of my genre readership range, I know there is a growing preference for shorter reads.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I don't bother looking at page counts. But I've also spent time doing what you've done so I know the size means the pages are variable. I'd much prefer Amazon provide an approximate word count. I think that would be far more beneficial to readers than a page count. In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts
Daniel Dennis said:
I don't bother looking at page counts. But I've also spent time doing what you've done so I know the size means the pages are variable. I'd much prefer Amazon provide an approximate word count. I think that would be far more beneficial to readers than a page count. In short, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Yeah, but how many readers know how many words a book is? We know and care because we're writers as well as readers, but the average reader who doesn't write understands page count, not word count.

·
Registered
749 Posts
SevenDays said:
Yeah, but how many readers know how many words a book is? We know and care because we're writers as well as readers, but the average reader who doesn't write understands page count, not word count.
Initially, not many. But if the data was there over time I think they'd adjust. I remember years ago reading some books that were shorter than they looked because of font sizes and spacing. I figure if it matters to us it might eventually matter to readers for the same reasons. It just may take some time before they catch on.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It shows word count sometimes, I just forget if its before the book has been read through a few times, or if it's when you go printed version.
[EDIT]
I put this in temporarily.
IMPORTANT NOTE TO READER - THIS VERSION is only 300 pages.
Amazon has this book showing as 480 pages. However, this relates to the printed version which is on 8x5" paper.

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
If you have a really thick book it is better to go with 6 x 9 or make the font size and line spacing smaller.  I don't have statistics but personally I look for books that are 200 - 300 pages in length.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Melody Simmons said:
If you have a really thick book it is better to go with 6 x 9 or make the font size and line spacing smaller. I don't have statistics but personally I look for books that are 200 - 300 pages in length.
I wanted the book to be 5.5x8" as in the OP, I forgot the page count would be higher for Amazon. All my other books are 6x9. (I actually prefer the smaller book size). Not sure if its justified when doing books by POD.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts