Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so, basically here's my observations throughout the day:

Big winners are those books in Select, or perma-frees, who had a big promotion right before Christmas (15th through 23rd), especially serials or series.

Modest winners are those books with high rankings to begin with, or high visibility for other reasons (such as paid promos, ENT pushes, etc).

Freebies today and yesterday are showing poor results, probably because of the thousands of people also doing the same thing.

Most everyone else experienced higher than normal sales in some way, although they reported that their rankings dropped even though sales increased.

A few people reported below average sales.

Does this seem to be roughly accurate? Anyone who's not following these trends?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chrystalla said:
No idea.

My last free promo was on the 8-10 dec. None since. My sales are constant. No real bump but no drop either.

Do I fit into any trend? :p
Hmm, probably "It's just another day"? I dunno, just trying to figure out how everyone's doing and what they have in common, so we can all do better... :D

·
Registered
237 Posts
Chrystalla said:
Waiting to hear from others too.

How did your promo aftermath go?
Erm, well, I'm still running some promos. I thought it might be a good idea to make the majority of my books free at some point during the month. I had a pair of weak free runs during the first and second weeks of December (about 1000 downloads combined), but these seemed to be effective; I sold a fair amount of books in the days following both. This week, I've got like 5 books out as freebies, some of which are overlapping. Results have been quite poor. I should've seen the glut of free Christmas e-books coming, but alas. I'm hoping that I'll manage a bit of visibility nonetheless and that January will be a great month. Not holding my breath, though.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I've got two books I haven't done major promotions on in 7ish weeks, and they've been very steady all month, so they're fairly good control subjects. Their Amazon sales today were very average compared to the last month, but their ranks worsened by like.. 10-20% or something.

Your overall conclusions sound pretty smart to me.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Your analysis fits me. Permanent free for first book in the series. Had a big push on my free book on the 12th with a BookBub ad. Sales doubled today on the rest of the books in the series.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have two books that make steady sales every day and, for those, sales seem to be up about 30% but rankings are down.

One of those books came off a two day free promo a couple of weeks ago and had the usual bump up and leveling off.  Sales have been steady for the past week but on the 23rd they shot up 150% which knocked me into the top 500 overall.  I was all excited thinking it was the big Christmas bump and would last for weeks but sales fell back on the 24th to about 25% less than the norm, but were up on the 25th about 30% more than normal.

My other books only sell a few a day so not really good case studies.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Edward W. Robertson said:
I've got two books I haven't done major promotions on in 7ish weeks, and they've been very steady all month, so they're fairly good control subjects. Their Amazon sales today were very average compared to the last month, but their ranks worsened by like.. 10-20% or something.

Your overall conclusions sound pretty smart to me.
Ditto my experience. Average sales, 20% drop in ranking. If there's supposed to be a bump, I'm not seeing it yet.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
David sounds right to me.

I had a good free run on the 18th and 19th and have had great and steady sales since. Sales of the sequel have also picked up a lot over the past few days. Overall I've got a lot more sales than borrows, but still a lot more borrows that what seems regular.

I'm pleased with the outcome, something mostly built on a Bookbub ad (the day after David's Lacuna) which generated just over 5,000 downloads.

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
I'd tend to agree with that latter part. Slightly higher than avg sales compared to rest of the month, but rankings took a nosedive.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
No ebook boost for me. In fact I seem to have gone into reverse. Even my free run yesterday and today for my select books has bombed. Luckily my paper books have saved the day.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Steady as she goes for me. I had a promotion (not particularly successful compared to others) and I'm selling slightly more of that book, but the rest are going much the same as usual.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
No bump in sales here – if anything, sales are flat. But, I expected as much since just leaving Select without any other campaigns to help boost visibility.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
David Adams said:
Okay, so, basically here's my observations throughout the day:

Big winners are those books in Select, or perma-frees, who had a big promotion right before Christmas (15th through 23rd), especially serials or series.

Modest winners are those books with high rankings to begin with, or high visibility for other reasons (such as paid promos, ENT pushes, etc).

Freebies today and yesterday are showing poor results, probably because of the thousands of people also doing the same thing.

Most everyone else experienced higher than normal sales in some way, although they reported that their rankings dropped even though sales increased.

A few people reported below average sales.

Does this seem to be roughly accurate? Anyone who's not following these trends?
My permafree must have been excluded from the promotion. Doesn't surprise me, as Amazon have never done me any favours, promotion-wise.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I'd agree.  Mine are far higher than average.  Ran a promo from Dec 20 to Dec 22.  Gave away 3300.  Sold 49 in the three days since.  Back in Oct I gave away 4300 and sold 60 in the whole of the following month.  I'm not a big seller - up until the promo I had sold 12 copies total in December.  This is a massive bump for me.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I write erotica and only have three short story titles out.  For a couple of weeks leading up to Christmas, I was seeing an average of one sale per day.  On Christmas day, no sales at all.  I'm thinking maybe everyone was choosing to behave for the day?  ;)

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
Since, theoretically, everyone just unwrapped their brand new Kindles yesterday, and they had company over for dinner and all, wouldn't TODAY be the first day of the bump one might expect?

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
My results agree with Dave's observations - mine align with the first observation.
And I'm preparing for my books to be dropped like hot rocks any day now....

·
Registered
559 Posts
It seems like sales picked up a little bit yesterday but if it was a bump, it was a very small one. 

·
Registered
8,169 Posts
Only one of my books is in Select, and I did a one-day free promo on Saturday (Dec 22).  So far I've seen no change in sales for any of my books.  I plan to do a 2-day promo this weekend, to try and catch people as they take a breath between Christmas and New Year.  (BTW, speaking of Select, and since I'm new to it, what is the point/purpose/benefit of a "campaign name"?  Is it useful at all?)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts