Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick post to introduce myself. I just got my K2 today (big thanks to Octochick for pushing me over the edge to buy one). It is charging while I head off to pool league tonight. Hope to have it fully charged when I get back home.

Octochick has already warned me to keep my wallet closed while browsing all of the accessories. Anything else I need to be warned about?

Anyone have any good suggestions for new cyberpunk books to read. I have not read any cyberpunk for at least 5 years now.

Mike

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Welcome, Mike!

Congratulations on the new Kindle!

I can't imagine what Lara meant by keeping your wallet closed while browsing accessories?  ::)

Be sure to browse the Book Corner for lots of good book recommendations and stop by Introductions and tell us a little more about yourself beside the facts that your wallet is closed and that you know Octochick.

Betsy

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
AzHousePro said:
Octochick has already warned me to keep my wallet closed while browsing all of the accessories. Anything else I need to be warned about?
Mike
Only that browsing here will take over all your waking hours if you let it.

·
Registered
106 Posts
look for the authors "Neal Stephenson" & "william gibson" if you are into cyperpunk. "snow crash" by neal stephesons is a good fun read with some pretty deep ideas

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
egh34 said:
Gosh, hate to admit my ignorance, but as long as I am admitting things, I am a blonde...but what the heck is cyperpunk???
I was hoping someone else would ask so I wouldn't look so out of touch. :D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyberpunk
"According to Lawrence Person: Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.[4]"

·
Registered
383 Posts
MonaSW said:
"According to Lawrence Person: Classic cyberpunk characters were marginalized, alienated loners who lived on the edge of society in generally dystopic futures where daily life was impacted by rapid technological change, an ubiquitous datasphere of computerized information, and invasive modification of the human body.[4]"
OK...Let's ask again...What is cyberpunk? ;D

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to Kindle Land, Mike.  :D

·
Registered
9,932 Posts
MonaSW said:
I could see that as a basis for a movie. Maybe two. But for it to be a whole genre of fiction there must be more to this.... what's missing from that description, Mike?

·
Super Moderator
67,496 Posts
I think the key concepts in cyberpunk are that the 'plot complications' are computer/technical in nature. . . .bad guys are out to get the ONE guy/gal who can fix it all and/or they're being persecuted for their knowledge because they're trying to expose some huge conglomerate.  The hero, often more of an anti-hero, is usually a loner, highly intelligent, and a computer nerd.  Which is why only he/she has discovered the issue from which the plot complications arise.  There's almost always a conspiracy of some sort; usually they try to tell someone who tells them not to worry, but, of course, that person is part of the plot. 

That's how I understand it anyway; I haven't read a whole lot of it, but have read some.

Ann

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Welcome to the Boards.  Octochick is one of our biggest enablers, so be careful.  LOL. 
deb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I read some Gibson years ago, but I am seeing some reviews that say his stuff has dropped in quality since the first couple books. Would you agree with that assessment?

Downloaded a sample chapter from Cryptonomicon last night. Havn't checked it out yet though.

Mike

kyliedork said:
look for the authors "Neal Stephenson" & "william gibson" if you are into cyperpunk. "snow crash" by neal stephesons is a good fun read with some pretty deep ideas

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah, that is what I was going to say.

Mike

MonaSW said:

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Nice to have you here Mike.  Seems as if I have seen some tv shows or movies with something similar to cyberpunk as Ann describes it, but have no idea when, where or what.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts