Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My darling wife, who has lovingly dubbed my K2 'Your GeekBook' was reading a very heavy large, quite beautifully leather-bound DTB of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' in bed last night. 

She looked over at me and said, 'I should be reading this on your GeekBook.  This thing weighs a ton.'

I went into the 'Kindle Downloads Guide' from Feedbooks.com, clicked a couple of times and said to her, 'Here.  Give it a try.'

She was stunned.  'You had it on there?' 

'Nope.  Just downloaded it.' 

'How much did THAT cost?'

'Nothing.  It's in the public domain.'

'wow'

heh, heh, heh,  Here little kid.  The first one's free.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Step into my parlor...

·
Registered
530 Posts
ROFL  I have done similar things when I have been recommended a book. I did it in the car with someone the other day and the look of astonishment was hilarious!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Now point her to the accessories forum...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I do that at my bookclub when someone mentions a book recommendation.  I have a sample downloaded in less than a minute.  Now they're so used to it, they laugh and say, "Dianne will have it in 2 seconds!".  At least three members are buying Kindles.  One by one, we will convert them!

"Come over to the dark ('er light) side, Luke."   ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's even better that that! If you download the Kindle Download Guide you have the whole searchable catalog right there on your Kindle. I hope I'm not breaking any Kindleboards rules, but:

The Kindle Download Guide is the easiest way to download public domain and creative commons books from Feedbooks. It could be described as having an on-demand library on your Kindle.

* Step 1: The guide is a simple file that you need to add on your Kindle. The URL for this file is http://www.feedbooks.com/kindleguide
o Open the browser on your Kindle and open this URL
o OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using the USB cable
o OR download this file and send it to your Kindle using your e-mail: [user]@kindle.com
* Step 2: Find yourself something to read. You could:
o Flip through the guide, you'll find books in alphabetical order, then authors in alphabetical order and finally lists (There's a table of contents for all this, you can access this any time you want through the Kindle user interface).
o Type a keyword using the search feature of your Kindle. Works very well as soon as the guide is fully indexed (you'll have to wait for a few seconds after downloading the guide for your Kindle to fully index this file).

Hope that helps! ;D

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I fear that you're right, Mel.  She goes in for an overnight surgery and I anticipate that I'll be without spouse and without Kindle for that night.  Bereaved and bereft, I think it is.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Hi Zero, thanks for the helpful hint on how to download the feedbooks catalog. We've mentioned it before but repeating is always useful for newcomers. And no, you are not breaking any rules.

Cheers,

L

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
My darling wife, who has lovingly dubbed my K2 'Your GeekBook' was reading a very heavy large, quite beautifully leather-bound DTB of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' in bed last night.

She looked over at me and said, 'I should be reading this on your GeekBook. This thing weighs a ton.'

I went into the 'Kindle Downloads Guide' from Feedbooks.com, clicked a couple of times and said to her, 'Here. Give it a try.'

She was stunned. 'You had it on there?'

'Nope. Just downloaded it.'

'How much did THAT cost?'

'Nothing. It's in the public domain.'

'wow'

heh, heh, heh, Here little kid. The first one's free.
Resistance is futile....

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
SimonStern2 said:
I hadn't even thought to download directly from feebooks on the Kindle.

Thanks for the tip!
And there's also a download guide for mobileread as well - I have them both on my Kindle.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
I fear that you're right, Mel. She goes in for an overnight surgery and I anticipate that I'll be without spouse and without Kindle for that night. Bereaved and bereft, I think it is.
You might as well go ahead and order the second Kindle... otherwise you'll have to share! ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I've started converting a few of my friends as well, it's just so much more convenient than hefting a bunch of books around. I travel quite frequently and like to read on flights, trains, and buses, and the K2 makes it convenient.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts