Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After Vampires, we were introduced to Angels, and then Greek Mythology, and wel..maybe the public will get to shifters some day.

But for now, I picked up FALLEN, a novel about an angel who falls in love with a woman on Earth. anyone read it? What did you think? I just can't get into it. I'm already 7- percent done and it still feels like a chore. I asked my friend Kiasha what she thought and she said the same thing. Are there lovers of Fallen out there? Am I the only one?

What do you recommend for a good angel book ?I don't like Greek Mythology or Vampires, so I am not going there. Unless the Vamps are tame like in Twilight, i don't want to read about them. One good Vamp novel is Carpe Noctem by Katies Salidas. Pretty When She Dies is more horror, but its good.

But back to angels, anyone??

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Milton's Paradise Lost? ;)

Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

Mercury Falls by Robert Kroese

·
Registered
12,227 Posts
And don't forget demons. I'm getting a lot of cover orders for books featuring demons lately. I think they're even more popular than angels. Also seeing a lot of werewolves and cat shifters but that trend has been heavy as long as the vampire one.

·
Registered
952 Posts
When writing, almost have to guess a year or two ahead of the curve. What will popular?

At this point, I'd think people are worn-thin on vampires and such, and the Potter type of books.

What do I know? A friend, she keeps making the NY Times List writing about witches, wicca, shapeshifters and that type of stuff.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Yeah, I also thought we had decided that mermaids were the next big thing. It was mermaids in a Vegas hotel tank as I recall, kind of dark and mobbed-up. I suppose the mermaids could also be angels, but then the sex would have to be dialed back.

·
Registered
632 Posts
So a bunch of authors should just write books where angels fall in love with mermaids and are hunted by demons.  Then you cover all your bases. :)

Also, angels can have lots of sex.  Ask the romance writers. :)

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
kCopeseeley said:
So a bunch of authors should just write books where angels fall in love with mermaids and are hunted by demons. Then you cover all your bases. :)

Also, angels can have lots of sex. Ask the romance writers. :)
Actually, many "experts" ::) state that angels are not...um...properly equipped for sexual relations. But then vampires never "sparkled" until recently, so I guess anything goes. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd recommend the Remy Chandler series by Thomas Sniegoski.  A Kiss Before the Apocalypse is the first book in the series (sorry I don't know how to do the blue link thingy).  In a nutshell -- Remy was disillusioned after the War in Heaven, gave up his angel status and came to earth.  He's become a PI and in this first book, is having to deal with the impending death of his human wife -- and stopping the Apocalypse.  Remy believes that humans best invention is coffee and he loves his black lab.  You get to meet various fallen angels and immortal figures from the Bible.

I couldn't put the first book down -- well-paced and written, good dialog and character development -- have to admit I cried my eyes out at the end.  I think you'll enjoy it.

Ruth

·
Registered
3,169 Posts
"Highborn" by Yvonne Navarro stars a fallen angel/demon. She escapes hell and goes to Earth to try to redeem herself. A second book just came out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
First, I liked Fallen, although the beginning was a little slow.

I recommend The Gifts Trilogy by Patria Dunn Rowe! She has an amazing Nephilim series out right now! She's an Indie Author, but well worth taking a chance on. I did a book review of her first book recently and will post it here for you, but I was also lucky enough to interview the author too! http://www.moonlitdreams.org/3/post/2011/05/author-interview-patria-dunn-rowe.html

Book Description from Amazon:"When twenty-one year old Nahla Marks decides to start her junior year at Wake Forest University as an education major, instead of continuing on the path to pre-med, everything seems to fall apart. Her parents have practically disowned her, stripping all financial help and communication away. Then, there is this feeling, this color -as she calls it- that has begun to take over her body. She doesn't know how to control it, and the more it happens, the worse it gets.

Gideon's bedroom, Gideon's apartment, Gideon… had saved her, nursing her wounds. Nephilim was the word he used, but not quite, he cautioned as he told her a story -a story that explained what was happening to her, and why he now stood before her…seemingly, an angel.

She'd never asked for this to happen to her, and didn't want the chaos that seemed to follow her everywhere now. Not only was the media looking for her, but someone else wanted the gifts they possessed, at any cost…"

I was immediately drawn into Nahla's story, from her unusual birth and upbringing to the secret she can't seem to keep hidden. Nahla's story, while superbly entertaining and engaging, was not the only one told. I was swept away by the back story of how the Gifts came to be and how they got to where they ended up. I absolutely love to read novels that have multiple layers, as this one does. The author did an amazing job pulling the stories together in a smooth, easy read that keeps you turning pages.

Aside from the story within a story there are the multi-dimensional characters. Even as certain characters discover more about themselves than meets the eye, the author also keeps them very human. Their hopes, dreams, concerns and fears all have that human edge to them that some authors tend to loose when they start giving out powers to their characters.

There are a few issues in the book that can be attributed to e-book formatting problems, however; Patria Dunn Rowe is such an amazing storyteller that they are easily overlooked. The tale she tells is simply too captivating to put down.

One final note, while I wouldn't call this book a YA novel, I will say that I wouldn't be opposed to my teenage daughter reading it. I think, this book in particular, is great for high school age and beyond.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I am kind of sick of vampires and zombies.  I just cannot imagine there are any new stories to be told with either of those as the main characters.  I have thought that for years, though, and people still keep writing vampire stuff. 

I wish more peole would write in the Lovecraftian Mythos...  He had such a rich pantheon of characters, monsters and evil-doers. 

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've got the first two books of the "Fallen series" from the library on a whim.  I have to say that the cover looked cool, and even though I'm not into the whole "angels" thing...I said I'd give it a try.  I have yet to open the book, but have to get on it really soon as the library is going to want it back REAL soon.

Perhaps it's due to my upbringing, but I don't understand people's fascination with angels.  Personally, they used to freak me out when I was younger.  They are not like what you see in movies and TV!  I also agree with NogDog, on "not being properly equipped"...but I am told that I over analyze things.  This is why I am going to give "Fallen" a chance...

Tris

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Angels and demons would be refreshing from teen vampires. Teen vampires. :mad:

Isn't it time we had Teen Wolf again?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Angels have been a big thing for over a year now. My angel romance series does rather well on Kindle so I'm not complaining :)

Having said that, my vampires (the dark and deadly type, not the sparkly kind) do well for themselves too. No complaints there either.

I can't see angel books going anywhere anytime soon. They're probably set to stick around for the next couple of years, at least in the romance genre. Vampires aren't going anywhere period. We've been fascinated by the myth related to vampires for centuries.

Shifters are still popular. I can vouch for that too. Readers like a good dark werewolf romance or two, and I've done well with a black panther shape-shifter in the past too. I'm sure they'll have a revival soon.

I tend to write angels who are still actively working for a higher power, so not fallen angels, although some of them end up that way due to their love interest being of the forbidden type. I'm actually editing a novel length offering in my Her Angel series at the moment.

In terms of other authors, I've heard mixed things about J R Ward's angel series. That's more straight urban fantasy without the romance. I enjoyed the first few Black Dagger Brotherhood books she put out, but didn't like the turn she took with them after around book four or five. The first book in her angel series is Covet, I think.

Felicity Heaton

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I tried to search for a novel called "Fallen" on Amazon as described in the OP, but there are a gazillion results, so I have no clue which one of them is talked about.  :D. Apparently there are may of them out there.  ;D.
I haven't read one yet, that I can think off.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Atunah said:
I tried to search for a novel called "Fallen" on Amazon as described in the OP, but there are a gazillion results, so I have no clue which one of them is talked about. :D. Apparently there are may of them out there. ;D.
I haven't read one yet, that I can think off.
FYI: It's a YA novel series, by Lauren Kate. I believe that there are two books in the series out right now, with a third one on the way.

Tris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts