Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how familiar Americans generally are with this series as it hasn't been in print in a very very long time here.

I don't have the words to describe at how much these books mean to me. I can say without hesitation, my favorite books of all times.

I would give anything to get these on Kindle, but I doubt it would ever happen. Golon fought up until recently for the rights to her own books with a french publisher and I think she finally won. She was left in poverty basically.

The details in these books are something I have never experienced before and I doubt I ever will again. It goes beyond being pulled into the book. My mom gave me the first book back in Germany when I was I think 12 years old. I remember having the wind literally knocked out of me by reading.
The books start set in mid 17th century france and there are a total of 12 books. I know she worked on a 13th, but I don't know if it was ever done. Only the first 9 were ever translated into english and it took my literally months to find very very old used books here in the US to have my series again. I could only find old and worn paperbacks with very cheesy covers but I didn't care.

Angelique is my favorite heroine of all times. Period.
According to various fan websites there are a total of est. 150 million books sold worldwide, they have been translated and published in at least 63 countries and it is said by 320 different publishers in over 20 different languages.

Ask most european women and they will be very familiar with it.

Anyone else familiar with the series?

Needless to say, my Kindle is named Angelique.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Angelique is quite a gal.  She gets into more adventures than Claire Beauchamp.  I have six of the books.  I'm afraid to touch them for fear they will crumble into dust.

Angelique is the daughter of a minor French country nobleman, who marries her off to the much older Comte de Peyrac, who is scarred and crippled.  Her adventures take her from the court of Louis XIV, to the slave markets of Cadiz to the new world. 

There are DVDs available that are supposed to be pretty good.

If you can find the books, they are a good read, but pretty tame by todays standards.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I noticed the DVD a few days ago and if I had clicked order now any faster, it would have been lightspeed. :D I have seen 2 or 3 of the movies long ago and haven't seen them since. I couldn't have even imagined they would ever be in region 1 available. And for 5 movies at 25 $, a steal.

they shipped today.  ;D

Next goal is saving up for the just released in region 1 Sissi collection.  ;D

·
Registered
447 Posts
My friend Marilyn was just telling me about the Angelique series last week. She said they are her favorite all time books. Marilyn has all the books and will let me read them. I'm still clicking to get the books on Kindle. Marilyn, her mother and sisters fought over who would get to read them first. I saw good reviews on Amazon about the series.

Here's a fan club site
http://www.worldofangelique.com/

There was no ASIN code so this picture doesn't link to the Amazon site. But there is a link to click on. Please click for Angelique!
http://www.amazon.com/Angelique-Book-1-Sergeanne-Golon/dp/074513727X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228869543&sr=1-1

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Avalon3 said:
My friend Marilyn was just telling me about the Angelique series last week. She said they are her favorite all time books. Marilyn has all the books and will let me read them. I'm still clicking to get the books on Kindle. Marilyn, her mother and sisters fought over who would get to read them first. I saw good reviews on Amazon about the series.

Here's a fan club site
http://www.worldofangelique.com/

There was no ASIN code so this picture doesn't link to the Amazon site. But there is a link to click on. Please click for Angelique!
http://www.amazon.com/Angelique-Book-1-Sergeanne-Golon/dp/074513727X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228869543&sr=1-1

If there is no ASIN, you can use the ISBN-10, like this:

You can also do this with non-books, anything on Amazon that you want to recommend can be Kindleboard-affiliate-linked.

Betsy

·
Registered
447 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
If there is no ASIN, you can use the ISBN-10, like this:

You can also do this with non-books, anything on Amazon that you want to recommend can be Kindleboard-affiliate-linked.

Betsy
Thanks will that work in the Link Maker?

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Atunah said:
I noticed the DVD a few days ago and if I had clicked order now any faster, it would have been lightspeed. :D I have seen 2 or 3 of the movies long ago and haven't seen them since. I couldn't have even imagined they would ever be in region 1 available. And for 5 movies at 25 $, a steal.

they shipped today. ;D

Next goal is saving up for the just released in region 1 Sissi collection. ;D
When I last looked at the DVDs, they were about $10 higher. Thank you for letting us know that they are now $25, and eligible for free shipping. I ordered them, too. The reviews were pretty good.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Avalon3 said:
Thanks will that work in the Link Maker?
Yup, that's what I used. You can put anything on Amazon in Linkmaker; either use the ASIN or if that's not there, the ISBN-10. I think I tried the ISBN-13 once and it didn't work, but that might have been operator error.

Betsy

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
The last one I read was Angelique and the Ghost.  Anne wrote it after Serge died.  It became obvious that she wrote the mystical parts and he wrote the adventure parts.  At that point, the series went too far toward the mystical.  I might enjoy it more now. 

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
There are several libraries in my area that have at least the first book, I haven't looked beyond that.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
pidgeon92 said:
There are several libraries in my area that have at least the first book, I haven't looked beyond that.
My library system doesn't have any of them. I checked Miami, and they have several of the series in English, French and Spanish.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't think my library had them either, I only checked online though. Since they haven't been in print in many many years, once they are gone, they are gone. The paperbacks I have were printed around 1969 and some in 1970. It took me months to find those so I don't know if there were any prints after that. I never found any hard cover at any affordable price in english.

To get my hands on a complete 9 book english series in Hardcover in good condition. *sigh.

I am still hunting down the last 3 that were never translated to english. I am trying to find the german versions. Not sure how well that will go as I don't really read in german anymore. Took me long enough to fall into a book written in english after moving here. Its the difference of reading a book and translating in your head and not realizing anymore you are not reading in your mother tongue. That was the moment I cherished. I could finally enjoy books again.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
If you're library does Inter Library Loan, they can get anything from anywhere. I'm in Illinois, I recently got a book from a library in Maine.

·
Registered
12,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our library only go city wide. You can order books online from their main data base and they will transport them for you to the library of your choice. I haven't actually been at any library here though as they are just to much a hassle to get too. I hate driving here.

I didn't see anything though about nation wide, just city wide. That is a nice service though if you have that. Sounds expensive though. For the library that is.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
The odd thing about the book from Maine is that there were plenty of libraries in my county that had it. I assumed they would get it somewhere closer. However, I have no idea how their system works, maybe there is a warehouse somewhere where they keep old books that the libraries discarded just for the purpose of ILL.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts