Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love my Kindle2, I really do, but I can’t come to grips about not having the left-justification feature.  I thought that was extremely convenient when I had my first kindle.  It’s probably just me, but I think it’s annoying when one reads a sentence, and words are more spaced out than others. 
I think it was a dumb idea on Amazon’s part to not include this feature.  Is it possible that with their software updates they can include this feature?  I seriously hope so.  Man, I hope so.

Does anyone agree with me about this?  Do you know anything I don't know?  If not, I'll guess I'll just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I sent them feedback too!  I think it's important we let them know that.  We didn't spend all this money for nothing.  We want a quality product, not one that gives us some good features.  We want all good features!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I miss the left justification. I also don't like the "live" keyboard because I am constantly bringing up the "search" box.

L

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I seriously hope Amazon CS could do something about this.  It made my reading on Kindle 1 much more fluid.  I hate complaining, but, as I have commented previously, I want to get what I paid for:  A quality product.

Oh, you're so write about the "live" keyboard.  I have had that problem too!

I think we need to bring this up to CS.  I already have by email, but I think I'm going to call as well.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I hate it too but I have to say I hate the live keyboard even more. I used to hold KK by the keyboard and I can't break myself of the habit.

Melissa

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is great!  We need to keep this going.  If nothing is brought up to them, then nothing is going to happen.  Let's make it happen!

·
Registered
558 Posts
I don't have my kindle yet. Are you saying that all books are displayed as Justified - spaced unevenly so that the words hit the right margin evenly? Is this with all books or just Amazon books if I get free public domain books from somewhere else, in mobi format, will it do it to them, too? Now I'm concerned... I'm not sure how much this will bug me...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wouldn't mind that everything was justified if the device had a hyphenation rules system. The lack of this makes full justification a bit silly, IMO. Personally I find full justification, if done correctly, is far easier to read than left justification. Considering how readily available and lightweight hyphenation rules systems are I'm really surprised that they haven't added one yet.

-greg

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
vermontcathy said:
I don't have my kindle yet. Are you saying that all books are displayed as Justified - spaced unevenly so that the words hit the right margin evenly? Is this with all books or just Amazon books if I get free public domain books from somewhere else, in mobi format, will it do it to them, too? Now I'm concerned... I'm not sure how much this will bug me...
I would hate to break it to you, but I'm just being as honest as possible. My answer is, yes. Surprisingly enough, though, when I read The New Yorker magazine on my Kindle, it's in perfect alignment.

I brought this thread up because if Amazon was able to provide the left-justification feature for the Kindle 1, I'm sure they can bring it back for the Kindle 2.

I hope they can fix this problem soon, really soon.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Well I guess I won't worry too much for now. I looked at some screen shots and unlike what you see in some newspapers, the spacing doesn't seen to obviously strange to me. I think I'll be ok because I'll be able to stick to smaller font sizes.

Cathy

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Funny, I like the live keyboard. There are to many times already to mess with the menu and stuff. I've never hit the live keyboard when I didn't mean to. I'll be annoyed if they change it because I don't like to constantly go through the menu to get what I want.  Maybe they could make the keyboard "not live" as an option to set for those who want to disable it.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Will have my sister send them feedback as well since she has the K2, not me.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Re: justification....even though we had the option on the K1, it didn't always work in every single book. It had to do with how the book was formatted and what electronic codes were inserted for the formatting. I read plenty that were fully-justified and I couldn't change them. So...Cathy, to answer your question...while it is a nice feature, it's not a deal-breaker, at least for me. I read the fully-justified books without a whole lot of problem.

That said, I'd still like the option to change it.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
red1 said:
Funny, I like the live keyboard. There are to many times already to mess with the menu and stuff. I've never hit the live keyboard when I didn't mean to. I'll be annoyed if they change it because I don't like to constantly go through the menu to get what I want. Maybe they could make the keyboard "not live" as an option to set for those who want to disable it.
All they'd have to do is give us the "search" button we had on the K1. I'm sorry they got rid of that.

L

·
Registered
206 Posts
You know when I hit the keyboard by accident, nothing happens. I can't automatically bring up the search, I have to go to search with the 5 click.

·
Registered
83 Posts
meljackson said:
I hate it too but I have to say I hate the live keyboard even more. I used to hold KK by the keyboard and I can't break myself of the habit.

Melissa
I was having a hard time with the live keyboard too --I actually like the live search, notes and highlight feature (I do lots of notes & highlighting), but with my KK, I got into the habit of playing with the keyboard while I'm reading . . . absent-mindedly smashing the buttons with my thumbs, like popping bubble wrap ::) I like the feel of the old keyboard & the clicking sound it makes. When reading with Atticus, I still occasionally end up "searching" for axfsedghojpkliku :D

Kathie

1 - 20 of 26 Posts