Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
I'm going to throw this link in the crappy tradpub contracts thread since it's relevant. Thanks for the article.

I guess self pub is being used as an excuse by all of the biggies to scam money off of hopefuls.

G

·
This is insane.

So that puts Penguin, Random House, and Simon & Schuster all on the same publishing black list for me.  No way am I going to bend over for these guys.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I actually saw these guys when I started investigating self-publishing options. The S&S brand is a big deal, and their prices gave the illusion that they'll do something extraordinary to help an author. But when looking around for anyone who had success with them, I came up empty.

I agree that it's a shame these companies are so willing to whore their brand out to scam authors, but are unwilling to put something together that makes sense for self-publishing. Their lack of understanding their own marketplace and the effects of technology is what will doom these guys within 10 years. They need to change, or die.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Mathew. I guess this Archway imprint is a great example of crappy trad pub contracts!

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
David Thayer said:
Thanks Mathew. I guess this Archway imprint is a great example of crappy trad pub contracts!
Absolutely. It's pretty shocking what people are (apparently) willing to sign.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was doing some research on this for my blog, and just started laughing. Do people still use vanity press like this? Has anyone here in Kindle Boards tried this and made it work?

It's funny because you'd think the resources of a big publisher like Simon & Schuster should benefit an "indie writer." But do they?

G

·
Vince Dickinson said:
I was doing some research on this for my blog, and just started laughing. Do people still use vanity press like this? Has anyone here in Kindle Boards tried this and made it work?
Unfortunately, yes, authors still use these services. :'(

One thing it is difficult for folks here at KB to understand is that there are still tens of thousands of aspiring writers who are not business savvy. Most folks here on KB are really the "elite" in terms of self publishing. Just a different level of core business competency and publishing acumen. We are not the norm. Just think about some of the conversations you might have had with friends and family and co-workers about your publishing. I've had people ask me to call Jeff Bezos for them because they had a problem with their Amazon order and since I sell books to him they think I can call him. :eek: People ask me if I ever met Stephen King, because apparently all horror authors supposedly know each other. ;D A lot of folks just lack certain fundamental knowledges that we take for granted.

So if you come at this with no background and start from a place where you think it must costs tens of thousands of dollars to publish and all authors are rich, spending $2000 to publish a book sounds like a bargain. It's sad, but true.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't see much daylight between Archway and the vanity press of yesteryear. Am I missing something?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts