Kindle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all and thanks for the welcomes already extended!

My wonderful son surprised me with my kindle the week before Christmas and I've already read at least ten books....would have read more if I didn't spend so much time on the boards....y'all are addicting  ;)

Hubby and I live in SE  Pennsylvania, but I am, at heart, a Florida girl.  Born and raised in SE Florida.....moved to Pa after 40 some years to be near DH's elderly parents.  We live on 80 acres in a very old stone house built in the early 1700's.  Beautiful to look at, but not the easiest house to live in.  DH is 6'4" and has learned (most times) to duck before going through doorways or stairs.   Apparently, people were much shorter then and didn't wear many clothes (NO closet space)!

Of course, reading is one of my greatest loves.  My pets and gardening fall into my top five, as well.

Like many of you, I've worn many hats, professionally.  I'm involved in the medical field now, but for five years or so, I was a Publishers' Rep....a great job for a voracious reader.....free books arrived everyday from one publisher or another.

Two grown children, three grandchildren, and a houseful of furkids.

Looking forward to interacting with all. 

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
So glad to have you here TangieGirl

Be sure and post pictures of your furkids on the pets thread, I have not done mine yet, but one of these days!

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Welcome Aboard, Tangiegirl

That was very nice of your son to gift you with a Kindle.

Nice to meet you,

-sailor *click*

G

·
We live on 80 acres in a very old stone house built in the early 1700's. Beautiful to look at, but not the easiest house to live in. DH is 6'4" and has learned (most times) to duck before going through doorways or stairs. Apparently, people were much shorter then and didn't wear many clothes (NO closet space)!
The reason for no closet space is due to period taxation. Early in our country's history, houses were taxed according to how many rooms they had, including closets as rooms. Therefore, to save on tax bills, people did not add closets to their homes. They used armoires or wardrobes instead. I absolutely love old houses and have heard this tidbit on many tours I have taken.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
The reason for no closet space is due to period taxation. Early in our country's history, houses were taxed according to how many rooms they had, including closets as rooms. Therefore, to save on tax bills, people did not add closets to their homes. They used armoires or wardrobes instead. I absolutely love old houses and have heard this tidbit on many tours I have taken.
They were also taxed by the number of windows on the front, at least in Boston (and I suspect other cities). This is why you might see few windows on the front of the house and many more on the back.

L

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all...what nice welcomes!

LR and Leslie....very interesting info....TY

The house actually has A closet...but it is not even deep enough to accommodate hangers :'( so we took a second bedroom and turned it into a closet. No other choice, really.

The front of the house, which faces west, oddly enough, has the largest number of windows. So, either Massachusetts and Pennsylvania had different taxation laws or the family that built this house was wealthy or not too bright. Hmmm...I'll have to see what I can find out...interesting. Thanks Leslie!

Choco, Three canines, currently (two rescues). A dobe, a cocker and a pom. No kitties since my heart cat, Little, went to the bridge five years ago. I'm still not ready for another :( I love her still...

Off to see what's new since I left for work...See you on the boards!

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hi, TangieGirl -

Wow, neat intro.

Would you be willing to post a picture of your house?  It really sounds "wonderful" in the sense of character, being historical.  Is the house a family heirloom? 

It's great that you adopted the dogs you did.  I, too, would love to see pictures of them in the Pet thread.  It's one of my favorites  ;D

Glad you are here,

Marci

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Welcome to KB. I'm another Boomer and Kindleholic. What a wonderful house. I live in Florida and love it. We usually get folks that lived North moving down here. I work in the medical field and love it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
What a great house, TangieGirl. I love the way houses, some houses, fit their area--the row houses of Baltimore & Philadelphia, the Spanish colonial of New Mexico, and so on. Early 1700s you say! Is that cool!

My wife and I live 120 miles from the Mexican border, a little far for that influence to percolate. I grew up in El Paso, where nearly every house shows signs of Mexican and Spanish style. (It's illegal to build a house of wood there.) To get a Spanish style house where we live, my wife and I had to build it ourselves...and then we added some Italian elements after a daughter studied in Italy, so now I don't know what style it is. But it looks like it belongs in this country.

So does yours! You must be no mean gardener, either!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.