Kindle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I"m not surprised that AS exists to scam newbie authors, but I am gobsmacked by the professional entities that connect themselves to it. Penguin, the writer conferences, etc. I hate that they lend credibility every time they associate with AS.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree. I can only imagine it's because they are going down fast, and are doing anything they can to bring in revenue...even if it's sleazy revenue.

I was really taken aback by the large amounts of money these authors had paid. I had no idea it ran into so many thousands.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I'm guessing they charge a couple thousand in editing costs and then the author has to fork over a hefty chunk for the first run. If they don't do POD like Createspace then you end up storing crates and crates of books in your garage and hope the mice don't next in them.  This is the Golden Age for indie publishers, by far.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I almost got suckered into something like this, about ten years ago, when I was young and stupid.  Luckily, I was also in college and flat broke, so I managed to avoid that disaster.  For a long time after, I was really wary of self publishing, because I thought it was all something like this, where the only guarantee was that you were going to lose a lot of money.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Here's hoping AS is shut down, or at least massively crippled by these lawsuits.  They're taking the dreams of aspiring authors and using them to just squeeze as much money out of them as they can, crushing both the authors' dreams and their finances at the same time.  Really wretched...

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Kenneth Rosenberg said:
Here's hoping AS is shut down, or at least massively crippled by these lawsuits. They're taking the dreams of aspiring authors and using them to just squeeze as much money out of them as they can, crushing both the authors' dreams and their finances at the same time. Really wretched...
"Karma is a Witch, but only if you are." (I clean app'd it for you). I much prefer, "Karma is a Smurf, but only if you are."
I've seen Karma work, so I always try to be nice.

I hope the trad publishers tied to A.S. lose big bucks too.

G

·
But I think we have the same thing going on with indies and this whole industry of editors, covers and promo websites. How many indies have spent so much on these things that their books are under water and might be for years to come? It's the old gold rush axiom; no miner made money except the shopkeepers selling to them.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But there are so many affordable options available to indies. You can get a top notch premade cover from Goon Write for about 40.00.  I bought the stock images for two of my short stories and titled them myself. I have bartered services for both covers and editing in the past. Many options open to indies nowadays. :)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
drno said:
But I think we have the same thing going on with indies and this whole industry of editors, covers and promo websites. How many indies have spent so much on these things that their books are under water and might be for years to come? It's the old gold rush axiom; no miner made money except the shopkeepers selling to them.
But if you make it you make it big. I know authors who earn $10 000 - $100 000 per month. No editor or designer can ever make that, simply because it takes hours of work to do these services, and we get paid a one-time payment. Plus the market is competitive...I think most cover designers consider it lucky if they make $500 - $1000 a month. So don't make it sound like they are "taking advantage of the gold rush." It is simply not true. I think most designers end up working for less than minimum wages - less than $10 per hour - if you calculate the time spent on one cover. Only a few very famous designer sites make more than that.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I'm not surprised that so called reputable organizations, all of which somehow support or exist because of traditional publishing, would be affiliated with Author Solutions. After all, traditional publishing has been ripping off authors for decades.

Someday, someone is going to start a company that simply provides whatever services an author needs, for a reasonable price, for flat rates, including print runs and distribution to physical books stores. That, my friends, would be the end of traditional publishing as we knew it.

G

·
Melody Simmons said:
I think most designers end up working for less than minimum wages - less than $10 per hour - if you calculate the time spent on one cover.
Yeah, but it is profit, while writers go into debt and have to try to dig themselves out of the hole. Most writers will never make their cover and edit money back.

·
Registered
641 Posts
RE: Author Solutions.

Legal thievery.
Get caught stealing a Twinkie & see what happens
to you.

G

·
A few quick thoughts

1) Every author should be thinking about how they can sell picks to miners too. Write a book and share your expertise. Do consulting for other authors. Build up your blog and promote other authors.

If you share that wisdom and save an author money or help an author get more sales, it's fine to make a small amount. Become an expert in an area. Better you than some scammer who knows nothing.

2) For this: But I think we have the same thing going on with indies and this whole industry of editors, covers and promo websites. How many indies have spent so much on these things that their books are under water and might be for years to come? It's the old gold rush axiom; no miner made money except the shopkeepers selling to them.

There's a lot of inefficiency in the market.

There's some portion of authors who can't be helped. Unfortunately. Because they're going to go with the bright shiny thing or the first thing they find.

However, there are not very many options for authors who do want intelligence on what are the best service providers. Where would you go? Is there a magic list somewhere?

3) The people best positioned to help authors often don't get a chance. Because no one knows about them. There are lots of very good service providers - editors, cover designers, etc. who not very many people know about.

If you find someone good talk about them with others, actively.

G

·
ireaderreview said:
That is what I exactly do not. I don't want indies to begin a book's life in debt. You are talking about writers who know what they are doing and know they will make their money back. I'm talking about the newbies and those who think using expensive editing, 600 bucks covers (outrageous!!!!) and promo websites will magically make their books sell. Most books don't sell. The best thing I ever did and which made me most money was learning to make my own covers, editing my own books and stop wasting money on promo websites. If I had to share the money my books make individually with an editor, cover artist and a promo website, I'd be still in debt for each and every book. Now I pay my rent with the money that comes in.

G

·

this applies to everything.

Talk about good sites for premade covers.
Talk about good sites for $100 covers.
Talk about good sites for $500 covers.

You make a good point. It's a counter point to something I didn't say.

·
Registered
337 Posts
drno said:
Yeah, but it is profit, while writers go into debt and have to try to dig themselves out of the hole. Most writers will never make their cover and edit money back.
Book cover designers offer a service. What happens after the cover becomes the property of the owner (author) is the owner'responsibility. Writing is a business and risk is an important element of any business venture.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts