Kindle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
  I'm Karen from Buffalo. I'm not a rabid poster -- in fact I only posted on the Amazon boards twice -- once when someone in WNY was looking to see a Kindle and once when someone asked about comparing the Kindle to the eBookwise reader.
  I've only had my Kindle a little over a month. I am a long-time reader of ebooks (having owned previously the eBookwise, Reb 1100, Franklin eBookman and even a iPaq). The Kindle is by far the best technology for reading digitally that I've seen and it WORKS on a Mac.
  Nice to see an easy to use forum for people who love the Kindle and realize that it is a great way to read but it isn't necessary for it to solve either the economy or give us world peace.

Karen B
www.karentroxel.com
www.trixiestilletto.com

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Welcome Karen! I've had my Kindle for 2 months and love it. Love this forum where we can just gloat over our Kindles together and the enjoyment they bring us.  :)

Linda

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree Linda. I've always been a voracious reader and fast too, but I can't believe how much I've read on my Kindle. I have named mine (Kiki) and managed to read 25 books six weeks. It's a wonder I've gotten anything else done!

Karen

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Karen and Welcome!

My husband is originally from Buffalo (Kenmore) and we visit the area at least a couple of times a year to see his mom and her family.  I just love the people in WNY - really down to earth and SO warm and friendly!

My Kindle arrives tomorrow - I cannot wait!!!!

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Karen, my Kindle is named Ruby. I read much faster also and I'm still as excited as the day she arrvied.  ::)

Welcome to the klub Colleen! You are in for a real treat. The Kindle far exceeded my expectations although this is my first ereader so nothing to compare it to. Let us know what you think.

Happy Kindling!
Linda

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Colleen: Wow, that's great. I actually live in Tonawanda but I assume most people wouldn't recognize it so always say Buffalo. Actually, I'm a Tennessee girl. My husband is a Buffalo boy so that's how we ended up here. Let us know what you think. If you're completely new to ereaders I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised!
Thanks for the welcome Leslie. By the way, one the first books I downloaded was your FAQ and it was extremely helpful. Great job!
Linda, I've always read fast but as I've gotten older I've had to stop reading way before I was ready because of eye strain. I don't seem to have any with the Kindle and I believe it's because there is no backlight. On the other ereaders I've owned, the backlight was a good and bad thing. it was good because you could read without external light thus not keeping your partner awake at night. It was bad because (and this isn't based on science, just experience), your eyes are in the dark but the screen is lit and close to your face. I'm terribly nearsighted so lots of times I would stop reading before I was ready because my eyes were burning so much. I kept remembering what my mother used to say when I'd sit with my face close to the television back in the day. Wonder if she was right? LOL

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Leslie. By the way, one the first books I downloaded was your FAQ and it was extremely helpful. Great job!
Thank you Karen! I appreciate your support.....

L

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
I live in Gilbert, AZ and had to post here because I am also from Tonawanda, NY...small world.  Just got my kindle yesterday (thanks Oprah)!  I've been reading this site before I got it so I could read up on the what this amazing device can do.  So far I am hooked...and yes I tracked my kindle with UPS every day until it got it yesterday. 

·
Registered
165 Posts
KarenB said:
Colleen: Wow, that's great. I actually live in Tonawanda but I assume most people wouldn't recognize it so always say Buffalo. Actually, I'm a Tennessee girl. My husband is a Buffalo boy so that's how we ended up here. Let us know what you think. If you're completely new to ereaders I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised!
Karen this is TOO funny - My mother-in-law lives in Tonawanda now! What a small, small world. Every time we visit we absolutely MUST make at least one (usually 2-3) trips to Wegmans. For those of you who are unfamiliar Wegman's is like the Mecca of grocery stores. We have Jewel and Dominicks as the mainstay grocery stores here in Chicagoland, and they absolutely pale in comparison to Wegmans! I wish we could get Weggies to move into the midwest. <sigh!>

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Colleen, where are you?  I'm in Lombard.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Colleen: You are the second Chicago-area person who absolutely adores Wegmans. My sister-in-law has to make a stop there almost as soon as she gets into town. Funny thing, I probably only go there a couple of times a year...store is just toooo big for me. I feel overwhelmed with all the stimuli!

Karen

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
colleen said:
KarenB said:
Karen this is TOO funny - My mother-in-law lives in Tonawanda now! What a small, small world. Every time we visit we absolutely MUST make at least one (usually 2-3) trips to Wegmans. For those of you who are unfamiliar Wegman's is like the Mecca of grocery stores. We have Jewel and Dominicks as the mainstay grocery stores here in Chicagoland, and they absolutely pale in comparison to Wegmans! I wish we could get Weggies to move into the midwest. <sigh!>
What's the swanky grocery store they have up in Minneapolis? Anyone know offhand?

L

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Wegman's is one of my first stops when I go back Home.  They have expanded into Pennsylvania, New Jersey and I think Ohio...So we can only hope they are making the move to open more stores.   

1 - 16 of 16 Posts