Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I found one of my books on a Russian site yesterday. I emailed their support for want of anyone else to contact, but doubt they'll take down the links because copyright is clearly not something they are at all bothered about. Many sites tell you what they will accept as a take-down notice, but if they don't, expect to be ignored. It's a pain.

Lexi

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Have you tried to actually download a book? I think this is a scam, and they are not actually hosting the books. When I clicked on an ePub link, there was a popup saying:

You need to complete one of available offers displayed on your screen to download file.
After successfully completed offer download will start immediately.
GFG Duck Hunt
MegaPlayer - Baseball - Free Download
Printable Grocery Deals
LiveSample (Daily Survey) (EXCLUSIVE) (US)
Opinion Surveys (Daily Survey) (US)
WrapApp: My Music Tube
QuoteSonic - Car Insurance
Equifax - Credit Score - $4.95 30 Day Trial
FrostWire - Free Download
Equifax Trial - Free 30 Days
MyThoughtCounts Long Version (Daily Survey) (US)
Free Search & Translate App + Wiki
I'm not going to go any further and click on a deal, but I'm skeptical you'd ever get the ePub. It's like those ads that say "FREE iPad!".

·
Registered
178 Posts
It's disgusting and I don't even know why they think they can make money from ripping people off like that.

But here's what I do know....

Owner is From Poland
The Site was created and registered only FOUR days ago!
Domain was registered here - key-systems.net/
The owner has pointed the domain here: - aftermarket.pl - in order to auction it.

And here's the thing... the owner of the site had used proxies and has actually registered the domain from the US - typical!

The idea behind sites like this is that they will artificially increase the traffic, fill it with ripped content then sell the domain at a higher price.

The plus side is that most people will never find these sites and they will sit at the bottom of the cauldron of the web until Google simply de-lists them.

I have reported the URL to Google, it's the only thing we can do short of a ddos attack and crashing their server hohoho

·
Registered
178 Posts
Italiahaircolor said:
The site is "powered by Wordpress" ... my first step, scam or not, would be to reach out to Wordpress directly.

ETA: This is the closest link I could find to e-mailing Wordpress directly,

http://en.support.wordpress.com/contact/

... maybe try it out.
It's a nice thought but Wordpress won't and can't do anything, it's a only a platform at the end of the day, simply a script that runs sites on millions of different hosting sites.

If you report it to Google then they can de-list it and stop it ever appearing in their searches :)

Or DDOS!!!! :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
I found a site called dpgroup.org the other day.  They've got a ton of books listed. It shows you how many people (user names included) that downloaded your book. I actually considered contacting the individual people and asking them to at least write a review for me if they are going to steal my work. I mean really, I'm only $.99! You can't break down and shell out a buck?

·
Registered
136 Posts
I contacted a site called Firecash the other day about one of my books, just to see what they'd say (because I believe contacting these sites is nothing but a losing battle and I'd rather spend the time writing). Here, they actually admit and explain what they do:

Hello,

First of all the link which you are talking about (I am talking about this link http:LINK REMOVED ).

This file, hosted on our page is not a copyrighted material. It is only an empty PDF file what you can see on your own eyes, I provide you the link to the file without surveys, so please download and have a look.

The file (direct link): http:LINK REMOVED

Summing up, this file is an empty one or broken (it is not important). It is not possible to run it and it is not connected with you. Nobody cheats you, nobody breaks your copyright laws from FireCash company. We also have a Terms of Use and the file does not qualify as a one to be removed from our database because it does not break anyone copyright laws.

P.S. I am sure you will ask this question, why do people would want to make others think that the file which they would download is for example your file ? The answer is simple because each time someone download this empty and in fact useless file the uploader of this file gets some money. So they cheat the potential downloaders and earn on them. I really can not do anything to remove this file from database because it does not break law.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
BenEBrewer said:
It's a nice thought but Wordpress won't and can't do anything, it's a only a platform at the end of the day, simply a script that runs sites on millions of different hosting sites.

If you report it to Google then they can de-list it and stop it ever appearing in their searches :)

Or DDOS!!!! :)
Are you sure about that? Hosting sites take this stuff pretty seriously, I've heard of them pulling sites that don't comply with the host sites policies.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Maybe you need to talk like a pirate!

Arrrrrr, best ye be takin' me book down, ye cretinous scurvy wharf rat or ye be keelhauled and hung in the shrouds for the gulls to feed on. Arrr.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Quiss said:
Maybe you need to talk like a pirate!

Arrrrrr, best ye be takin' me book down, ye cretinous scurvy wharf rat or ye be keelhauled and hung in the shrouds for the gulls to feed on. Arrr.
You owe me a new keyboard and another can of Diet Coke. ;D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts