Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just read a thread about people trying to get Amazon gift cards as a scam, but I have another reason not to send them.
I sent my book to a reviewer using a $2.99 gift card. The reviewer purchased the book, read the book, liked it, and left me a really nice, long review that I was incredibly proud of.
A few days later the review disappeared. I suspect Amazon saw the gift card going to the reviewer from me, and then the review, and it became a breach of the condition not to pay for reviews.
Sucked.

G

·
What does it matter how we give a book to a reviewer? The result is the same, they get the book for free. All they have to do is state the fact that they received a free copy when they write the review, right?

This is all so confusing sometimes...  :-[

G

·
Amazon has no issue with gifting books. This is a subject that has been asked repeatedly by authors and reviewers (it was a recent topic in the top reviewer forum at Amazon). The act of gifting a book is not considered "payment" so long as the gift is used to purchase the book. You are expected to provide a reviewer with a comp copy, after all. Amazon encourages the practice (because they make zero if you just email the file  8) :D).

Without knowing how you got this particular reviewer, I can't speculate on other reasons for the review disappearing. But gifting in and of itself doesn't trigger anything with Amazon.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
Bards and Sages (Julie) said:
Amazon has no issue with gifting books. This is a subject that has been asked repeatedly by authors and reviewers (it was a recent topic in the top reviewer forum at Amazon). The act of gifting a book is not considered "payment" so long as the gift is used to purchase the book. You are expected to provide a reviewer with a comp copy, after all. Amazon encourages the practice (because they make zero if you just email the file 8) :D).

Without knowing how you got this particular reviewer, I can't speculate on other reasons for the review disappearing. But gifting in and of itself doesn't trigger anything with Amazon.
Maybe if the reviewer didn't specify the copy was gifted to him?

G

·
Nathalie Hamidi said:
Maybe if the reviewer didn't specify the copy was gifted to him?
It's a possibility. Again, without knowing the nature of the reviewer, it is hard to say. If it was the person's only review and they didn't declare it was a comp copy? Yeah, I can see Amazon doing that. If it is someone with 100 reviews? Probably not.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Is it possible that the author and reviewer share the same IP address? I read here on KBoards that's something that triggers an alarm.

Or maybe the review was so glowing that they just thought it wasn't credible?

Sucks, either way.

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
I have a fan in England who loves my m/m books. Because she's one of the few fans who actually emails me and asks about my next book, I've gifted her a couple of books. She's reviewed them (on Amazon.co.uk) without a problem, though her reviews always carefully specified I gifted them to her. Of course, one or both of those reviews might disappear tomorrow, but I hope not *shrugs*.

G

·
GeniusStartup said:
Or maybe the review was so glowing that they just thought it wasn't credible?
That would mean that someone at Amazon actually READS the reviews and, to me, that's a scary thought :D

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
The reason I don't gift books is that I get charged $2.99 for my 99c books and $4.99 for my $2.99 books because of the Whispernet charge - even if I gift them to someone in the US  :mad:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts