Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends all told me I just had to post this. They are still laughing at me.

Ever since I got my Kindle, I've been switching off between dead tree books and Kindle books, so I could whittle down the stack of real books that I still have laying around.

So last weekend I was reading "The Pillars of the Earth" in a large-format paperback. The book is some 900 pages in length, and I had thought of just giving the book away and buying the Kindle version, but in my usual way I was too cheap to spring for another $7 (which is all the Kindle edition costs), since I'd already paid $15 for the paperback.

Anyway, so I'm lying on my back on the couch, reading, and the cat decides to come lay on me. She climbs up on my stomach, and pushes her head against the book to make me move it. I lost control of the book, and it fell into my face. My glasses got pushed into my nose, and I actually cut the left side of my nose where my glasses sit. So when I got to work on Monday, someone asked, and I had to tell them I hurt myself reading!

Had I been reading on the Kindle, this would not have happened. So now I have yet another excellent reason to recommend the Kindle: Kindles are safer than books!

Maybe Oprah should do a whole show: Women who are hurt by the books they love  :D

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Maybe Oprah should do a whole show: Women who are hurt by the books they love.
LOL. Good one...

Well, did you hear my Pillars saga? That's one of those books I wanted to read for years but haven't gotten around to. I kept looking at it on the Kindle for $6.39. Then my husband decides to clean out the attic and finds the large HARDBACK version that he read years ago. Ack! I looked at it and groaned.

A few days later, I was cleaning out my change purse, since I still had a few spare francs and euros in there from my trip to Europe. For some reason, I had a mountain of US change. I added it all up: $6.42! I ran off to the coinstar machine, dumped it in and got an Amazon gift card, which I put on my account and bought...you guessed it! Pillars of the Earth.

The hardback version is still in the attic, BTW.

L

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would definitely leave that hardback right where it is -- because, believe me, dead tree books can kill!

I'd be interested to hear what you think of Pillars once you have read it. I was disappointed. I didn't think it lived up to my expectations at all. It's such an amazingly popular book that I was surprised I didn't take to it. I was about 400 pages into it before I started getting interested!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Okay, I'll admit it.  My fiance's dad bought me the real version of Pillars for Christmas, and I've wanted to read it for awhile.  I tried reading it while I was eating lunch and it was pretty much impossible to do.  I broke down and bought the kindle version for $6.39.....I thought a 900 page book was worth it!  I never did tell his dad I did that though!!  In the end, it was worth it.  And I absolutely loved that book.  If you haven't read it, do!!   

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had been looking forward to getting rid of some of my huge hardbacks but then found out that Tom Clancy's books are not kindlized. One of my reading goals was to get through these so last time we went camping that's all I took. Got through 1. Yesterday I was taking my son to his guitar lesson so on the way out the door I grabbed Patriot Games in paperback. Got to the music store & I couldn't read it at all! The copy was so old the pages were yellowed & my eyes don't work as well in the afternoon. So I sat.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Khabita said:
So when I got to work on Monday, someone asked, and I had to tell them I hurt myself reading!
*lol* I have all the requisite factors for a smiliar accident--cats, large books, a tendency to curious accidents--but that's one I never had to explain. Good story!

I downloaded the sample of The Pillars of the Earth but I haven't actually started reading it. I have the usual problem of too many books and too little time. I'm currently in the midst of the rather protracted Honor Harrington series and every time I get toward the end of one I swear that I'm going to read something else when I'm done, but then the author throws out a new cliffhanger and I head over to webscription.net to download the next in the series. At least I can read them on the Kindle now, vs the paperback books that got me started!

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Khabita said:
Had I been reading on the Kindle, this would not have happened. So now I have yet another excellent reason to recommend the Kindle: Kindles are safer than books!

Maybe Oprah should do a whole show: Women who are hurt by the books they love :D
ROTFL....

Betsy

·
Registered
829 Posts
:))  and my cat problem has to do WITH the Kindle.  I get into bed and attach my Mighty Brite lite and start reading and she comes and wants attention.  She rubs her head against my Kindle and changes pages.  grrr....  I always have to stop reading for a few minutes to reassure her that I still love her even though Kindle has come into my life.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
LOL don't be so sure.. Kindle can kill as well

My story is very similar, but with the kindle.... It was when I first got mine I was using that horrid cover it came with.. I was lying on my back reading with it above my face.. and the cat came up and jolted the kindle.. which in turn fell out of said horrid cover and smacked me on the head.. needless to say that was the day Medge got its first order from me.. after the swelling went down that is :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've seriously lost count of my cat/book/glasses injuries over the years, though I have found some mysterious scratch marks on the bookcase that look suspiciously like tally hashes.

Because I missed your grand entrance, Khabita, may I add how nice it is to see you.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I read Pillars and thoroughly enjoyed it.  However, my mom tried to read it and said tho the base story was good she couldn't get into all the detail of what people were wearing. 

I have World Without End sitting on my Kindle.. but I've got tons of them on there I want to read after I finish Outlander.. LOL 

·
Registered
77 Posts
This post reminded me of something my youngest son once said. I asked him why he did not like hardback books, and he said it was because they hurt when you fall asleep reading and you drop them in your face!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts