Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, she did it! She actually did it. I'm so proud of her. My mother (71) who is by no means a technology fan, in fact you might even call her a bit of a technophobe, ordered a Kindle today. ;D Now this is a woman who still doesn't use ATMs and will only use the computer to pay bills. I had to setup the browser to load the bank's page when she starts IE (just click the "e" on the bottom of the screen Mom).

When I got my K2 the week they shipped out I brought it over at dinner and told her about it and she was polite "oh that's nice dear." But as she read her book and I was reading my Kindle after dinner she began to ask me questions. "How do the books get on there?" So I explained about wireless downloading, it works like your cell phone from anywhere you can use a cell phone. She became more interested. "How much do the books cost?" Well, it depends I told her, if the book is in paperback probably about the same as the discounted paperback price on Amazon, some are even free. "Free really?" Yes, public domain books and some selections from publishers. Then she asked about a specific book she wanted to read but could not get from our tiny local library. I went on whispernet and found it in a few seconds along with other books by that author she didn't even know about. Now she was intrigued. Then I told her about browsing by category and free samples. I proceeded to scan titles until I saw something that I though might interest her. It was the Carrot Cake Murder. I downloaded the sample and handed her my Kindle. She smiled and laughed a bit as she read. My mother loves mysteries and cooking, now I had her attention. ;) "So Mom, wouldn't you like to have something like this? You could get books without having to go out in bad weather. You could take all the books you wanted with you on vacation. You love to read, I think you would really like it." Well, she would have to think on it. A couple of weeks later, the book from the author she was enjoying was not available at the library and she really wanted to read it. She wasn't quite ready to go over to the Kindle but asked me to order her the paperback on Amazon. She still had her doubts about the Kindle. Two weeks later, she is most of the way through the paperback she had me order. I am talking about my Oberon cover coming on Monday (I will be traveling so they are taking delivery) and we get on the subject of Mom getting a Kindle. We got on the topic of Amazon recommendations based on your purchasing habits and her interest was reKindled. Now she tried to use the excuse that my dad would never let her get one. Now I know I have her - this is no way true. My daad loves his gadgets and hobbies so he would never deny my mom a Kindle. So he pipes up that if she wants one she should get it. So she asks me to order one for her - Yippie. I know she will love it. She loves reading even more than me and my sister. Next week I will have to help her download her first books.

Next my sister. ;D

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Way To Go,PJ! Your mom will love it and you did a good thing by showing her all it could do for her. After Mom come in on your side of the issue, your sister should be easy.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Your sister has no chance!  If you wait long enough for your Mom to fall in love, then your sister will have 2 Kindlers encouraging her....

Now....how do you steer her to the accessories board?!?  ;)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Great story.  Thanks for sharing.

My mom (68) will be getting her K2 on Tuesday.  I got her a skin and a cover already.  I'm so excited for her.  I have been avoiding talking to her so I don't spill the beans. 
deb

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Way to go PJ and drenee, It's wonderful the way you both led your Mom's to the Kindle.  IMO there is no better way to maintain a library now and if your Mom's are uncomfortable driving to the bookstores themselves or having to ask someone to take them Whispernet is absolutely wonderful.  I'm sure with your help they will come to love them as much as the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
My mom bought herself a kindle after using mine to read a book. My mother loves to read, but has had difficulty over the last few years because of a astigmatism. Being able to change the fonts on the kindle has been a godsend to her. She is so happy being able to read again.

Next up to convince it is okay to get a kindle is my wife. Still need to convince her that having two of them in the house is a good thing despite the cost. I'll probably just end up buying one and giving it to her.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I bought a kindle2 for my 70 year old mother and SHE LOVES IT!!!!  She is thrilled by having instant access to the store (and her James Patterson novels :D)  I have to admit I have a fairly tech savy mom, who also has 2 kids as tech support 24/7.
Just sent her a gift card!

Personally, the kindle is so easy to use and is so flexible, with the dictionary and font changes, I think older adults will love it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well, MY Kindle story worked the opposite way.  ;D

*I* am the 74 year old mother who bought herself not one, but two Kindles and got her thirty-something son interested in it.  ;D

But the BIG challenge for me will be getting his fifty-something almost totally Luddite brother interested in getting one!

patrisha

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Wow, great stories, I'm all verklempt.  Patrisha, we know you can do it!

My husband likes my Kindle OK and tells everyone about it but doesn't want one.  (He is SOOO not into technology--hates anything with buttons that need to be pushed, including the phone.  He likes using the phone, he loves to talk to people, but dialing it is a whole 'nother thing.  It's an ongoing battle between him and electronics.  We've left gas stations without gas because of the great electronic conspiracy against him, LOL!)

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
intinst said:
Way To Go,PJ! Your mom will love it and you did a good thing by showing her all it could do for her. After Mom come in on your side of the issue, your sister should be easy.
what he said! ::)

But remember all y'all, all us geezerettes are not technically challenged! Right patrisha :D

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.