Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
The "industrial design" is the only thing that could possibly be changed about the Kindle? Proves that she's never touched one. Making the Kindle sleeker and more stylish is POINTLESS because when you read, you don't actually see anything but the screen. I really don't like the style over substance crowd, like the ones on amazon complaining that it doesn't have a touch screen and you can't play games on it. The Kindle was not made for them. The Kindle was made for readers. People need to stop painting it with the same brush as an iPhone. It's a completely different device all together.

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
Mikuto said:
It's a completely different device all together.
It's a completely different device. . . .

;D Ann

·
Registered
325 Posts
It's one of those odd devices that shouldn't really be classified in the tech world. It's not a tech device, it's a reading device. It appeals to people who want to read, not those who want to play games, send e-mails or surf the Web. For me, having it reviewed by techies isn't really the way to go.

However, I think many in the book world don't like the idea of reading on a device, they have the idea that the feel and smell of the book is a part of reading.

So, the poor Kindle gets blasted by all. :(

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Lotus said:
It's one of those odd devices that shouldn't really be classified in the tech world. It's not a tech device, it's a reading device. It appeals to people who want to read, not those who want to play games, send e-mails or surf the Web. For me, having it reviewed by techies isn't really the way to go.
I agree. I'm the same way with all technology though. I don't need a cell phone that plays music, I just need it to make calls. I don't need an e-reader to surf the Web. I just need it to display books.

However, I think many in the book world don't like the idea of reading on a device, they have the idea that the feel and smell of the book is a part of reading.

So, the poor Kindle gets blasted by all. :(
I happen to be one of those people. Don't get me wrong, I like the Kindle. I decided to keep mine and use it mainly for the time being because I have a baby on the way, and I am losing most of my room for books in order to create a nursery. For now, having the ability to get classics and other books on the Kindle is a space saver (and a money saver in some instances). I don't travel and I cannot use Whispernet from my house, so some of the allure of the Kindle doesn't apply to me.

Even after using the Kindle, I'm still an actual book lover. I like the feel of a book. I cannot explain it. Once I get a bigger house and can store more books on bookcases (perhaps a room as a personal library, LOL), I may switch back to just using books. But the Kindle is helpful to me now.

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
By that time MWVICKERRS - you will be hooked just like the rest of us!  8)

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own an iphone for making calls and surfing the net on the go. I own a Wii, 360 and a PS3(well the kids do) to play games, I have a laptop that allows me to create documents. Why would I want any of that all on my Kindle? Then everyone else in the house would want to touch it. I do not have access to whispernet because I'm in Canada but I can still download any book I want in less time then it would take me to start my car. As for the smell of books, as I've stated before books here in Canada are a lot more then what they are in the States. In today's times I'd rather smell the money under my mattress then in the cash register at a book store. I won't use library books because in my over active imagination I wonder about the people who had it before and where their hands have been. We have 3 labs in the house who don't realize their not lap dogs so books were constantly being knocked out of my hands. The kindle is so much easier to hold on to when one of them jumps up. I guess I'm one of those people who believe if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. There is room for improvement with everything in life but I'll tell you I'm pretty convinced that the kindle 1 is flawless. I understand a lot of you want folders but I kind of get a kick out of having 126 books on my kindle. It must be because I'm a newbie :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts