Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 3 month old system (Windows XP) has been considerably slower these past two weeks or so, and I've done things like clearing out the caches, and turning off all the fancy visual effects. Since it's still annoyingly slow, I suspect that malware may be the cause, and so I was just wondering what everyone else uses to get rid of spyware/viruses/etc. Does it work well? Is it easy to use? I already have a program called Avast, but I think it just takes care of viruses, and doesn't consider other bad things that may be lurking.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I am currently using Webroot.  I love it.  It blocks out pop ups, keep my safe from spyware, and all that other stuff I  know nothing about. 
deb

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
AVG Antivirus - free
ZoneAlarm - free
TrojanHunter - free
Lavasoft Ad-Aware - free
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - 24.95

Forgot SpyBot Search and Destroy, another good one.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Spybot and Ad-aware do a great job of keeping spyware off your system. 

Also, your ISP may provide something free.  Comcast lets you download Macaffee free.

Ann

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I'm currently using BitDefender Internet Security 2009 trial version, and I think I'm going to purchase a license when the trial runs out. I've been quite happy with it. It was highly rated by PC World, and it's a pretty good bargain at $40.

KindleBoards affiliate link

- Added KB affiliate link for BitDefender - Admin.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I have been using Trend Microsystems - PC-Cillian for years and have been happy with it. You get 3 user licenses with the purchase.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
That is my biggest peeve with XP, my computers always seem to become sluggish after a few months of use. I never find any malware and the optimizer progams don't help. Only wiping the drive and reinstalling seems to help.  It got annoying enough that I bought a Macbook (very happy with it!) and now I'm trying Linux on the old XP laptops to see if it doesn't bog down as much.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I use Trend Microsystems - PC-Cillian and love it. It is easy to configure and doesn't seem to bog down performance. I have Window XP and my laptop is running fine. My company uses Symantec AntiVirus and it seems to work well.

·
Registered
48 Posts
For years I used AVG Antivirus, Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot. After getting a new netbook, I did some research on what currently gets the highest reviews and changed to Avast as my antivirus, and SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for spam/malware (all three are free). The last two apparently catch slightly different bad guys, so I've been doing a full scan with each of them once a week or so. For a firewall I've been using Comodo (also free, and which will drive you crazy with popups initially while it is learning).

·
Registered
48 Posts
One other thing that can really help with spyware and malware. If you're still using Explorer as your browser, consider switching to Firefox. After I switched, I noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of spyware that my scans would catch. Someone explained it to me that the spyware codewriters target Explorer since it is used on the most computers, and they won't latch on to your computer if you're using Firefox. I don't know if that explanation is accurate or not, but I did notice a big improvement in my computer after switching. I love Firefox - it has lots of add-ons that make it much more functional and plenty of skins to make it look as cool as you'd like.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
honyock said:
For years I used AVG Antivirus, Lavasoft AdAware and Spybot. After getting a new netbook, I did some research on what currently gets the highest reviews and changed to Avast as my antivirus, and SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for spam/malware (all three are free). The last two apparently catch slightly different bad guys, so I've been doing a full scan with each of them once a week or so. For a firewall I've been using Comodo (also free, and which will drive you crazy with popups initially while it is learning).
Cool, will try those out.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
I use Malwarebytes (free) in addition to the anti-virus that came with my computer.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Also, I periodically run www.trendmicro.com's online scanner housecall on each of my PCs
http://preview.tinyurl.com/housecall041309

Betsy
I run housecall, too. It really cleans up my laptop. It does take a long time to run, though. When I had all those problems several months ago, housecall was the only thing that did the job. Then I ran Spybot S&D (free) and did a final scan with Macafee that cleaned up the last of the problems. Unfortunately, even though my computer is running faster than it did before the cleanup, it's still pretty slow.

honyock said:
One other thing that can really help with spyware and malware. If you're still using Explorer as your browser, consider switching to Firefox. After I switched, I noticed a dramatic decrease in the amount of spyware that my scans would catch. Someone explained it to me that the spyware codewriters target Explorer since it is used on the most computers, and they won't latch on to your computer if you're using Firefox. I don't know if that explanation is accurate or not, but I did notice a big improvement in my computer after switching. I love Firefox - it has lots of add-ons that make it much more functional and plenty of skins to make it look as cool as you'd like.
Switching to Firefox has really helped with pop-ups and spyware. Unfortunately, everytime Firefox upgrades, I lose something like HP web printer or certain Realplayer features.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. I already have Avast, and I think I'll try Malwarebyes and Comodo. And the only time I've ever used Explorer on this machine is when I downloaded Firefox.

·
Registered
6,271 Posts
I used Webroot until recently when Malware Defender 2009 got into my system.  I couldn't even go online after that and spent a lot of time on the phone with my internet provider.  Ended up taking my laptop to the Geek Squad (very expensive and slow!) and paid a lot.  At the same time I bought Kaspersky and have been OK ever since.  They had to remove Webroot in order to get online.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
mlewis78 said:
I used Webroot until recently when Malware Defender 2009 got into my system. I couldn't even go online after that and spent a lot of time on the phone with my internet provider. Ended up taking my laptop to the Geek Squad (very expensive and slow!) and paid a lot. At the same time I bought Kaspersky and have been OK ever since. They had to remove Webroot in order to get online.
That's good to know. I'm looking to switch away from McAfee and was considering Webroot.

McAfee likes to run when I'm trying to get on-line. It can take up to an hour to complete whatever the heck it's doing and stops me dead from doing anything. When I turn on my computer, about nine times out of ten, I get a message that my computer may not be protected. Then I have to log on to McAfee, which takes another 10-15 minutes where half the time, I get a message that I AM protected. When I'm not protected, I have to run the "fix" which may or may not fix the problem.

But they did offer me an upgrade to fix all these problems at only $49.00.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts