Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have this weird anxiety of being away from their Kindle when reading a dtb? I aesthetically even enjoy reading dtbs more than the Kindle, but I feel like I'm abandoning my K or neglecting it in some way, especially after months of yearning for it and all the money that went into it. It just feels weird for the K to sit in the same spot for a few days.
I'm feeling it especially because I have over 40 dtbs sitting around my apartment waiting to be read. Just over holiday break my family gave me 13 dtbs to take home, so I have a lot to go through before I get back to my K.
It's not a real problem, it's just a little drop in my heart reading a dtb looking over and seeing my baby Brod all tucked in and waiting for me.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wouldn't know. Since I got my Kindle in September, I haven't touched a DTB book, except for a beautiful huge picture book about birds of prey.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I wouldn't know either, mine has never been in one place for several days. I have used it every single day since I got it. I did go to the library and planned to check out a Grisham novel but it smelled really bad of cigarette smoke which made me appreciate my kindle more.

Melissa

ETA: Nothing against smokers! I was a smoker myself for years.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Chimmer said:
No, but I have this strange feeling that I'm somehow missing something when I read my Kindle. I've been so use to having a book open and staring at 2 pages of text that it seems like the one page of Kindle text is somehow lacking.

I know...it will soon pass. ;D
Funny, I actually get that feeling too! Which is why I aesthetically like dtbs better. Maybe it's lose-lose for me for awhile. Except it's really win-win 'cause I'm still reading great books and all that.

meljackson said:
ETA: Nothing against smokers! I was a smoker myself for years.
Estimated Time of Arrival?

I

·
0 Posts
Books just feel so bulky and heavy now, especially large hard backs.  Kindle has spoiled me.  I also seem to read my Kindle faster than I do books.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks Vampyre!  I was thinking that I'm reading a lot faster as well.  Thought I was maybe making that up, nice to see someone else with the same experience.  For me I think it's a matter of always having a selection of books with me without having to carry around a dedicated book bag.  I don't feel any guilt or sadness over ditching my dtbs.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I have been feeling some guilt over not reading my DTBs.  I feel like they are looking at my Kindle like the new baby and hoping the novelty will wear off and I'll give them some much deserved attention. 

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I definitely felt anxiety reading a DTB.  I had on on reserve from our library for about 6 months (they had it on order) and it was a book I wanted to read but knew I didn't want to buy/own it.  So, two weeks ago the library called saying it was in and I went and picked it up.  It felt so strange.... very heavy and cumbersome and "awkward" compared to reading on MaKK.  I was getting that "anxious" feeling.... so I also started reading a book of short stories that I had dowloaded on MaKK.  I also do two daily readings on MaKK.... so I was able to get my DTB read while still enjoying my Kindle reading time.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I started reading a DTB yesterday, and I was amazed at how hard it was to read!

DTB's only have one font size!
You have to hold them with both hands!
They don't automatically keep your place!
If you find a word you don't know, there is no lookup feature!
To turn a page, you have to actually stick your finger behind the page and flip it over, then hold it down with the other hand!

Horrible design. What were publishers thinking when they came up with the silly idea of DTB's? ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I don't find either one better or worse, just different.

I am currently reading a couple of books, as well as newspapers and magazines, on my Kindle.  By "currently reading" I mean I've 'opened' them on Kindle and haven't finished them and deleted them yet.

I'm also reading a paper book. . .I have many I have not read.  I read from Kindle during the day and at night, before bed, I plug in the Kindle and read a chapter or two from the paper book on my night table.

I guess I'm ambibooksterous.  :D 

One thing will likely change:  I used to keep a book at work so I'd have something to read during down time and when I took lunch.  It lived there until I was finished when I'd take it home and bring in another; I'd read other things when at home.  Now I expect I'll use Kindle for that.  Or maybe I'll bring one of my many paper books in and continue as in the past.  Will have to see what's what as we'll be in a different office space this year.

I do not see myself buying a lot more paper books, but I plan to read the ones I have, even if I could purchase them for Kindle.

Ann

I

·
0 Posts
Khabita said:

To turn a page, you have to actually stick your finger behind the page and flip it over, then hold it down with the other hand!

Horrible design. What were publishers thinking when they came up with the silly idea of DTB's? ;D
Well it was a big improvement over scrolls. :)

"Ambibookdexterous" good one!

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Khabita said:

I'm nodding my head and laughing. Perfectly stated Khabita!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
I love reading from my Kindle.  It makes so much more sense to me than a DTB (By the way -- what does that stand for?).  There are three main issues for me.  First I can adjust the font size.  This has made a huge difference for me.  Second, I love the size of my Kindle.  It is easy to put in my purse and take it wherever I want to go.  Finally, I love having a selection of books to choose from that don't take up space in my already crowded house.

Downside:  I always used to give my books away, either to my hometown library or to friends.  So that is kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This week I went to my local library and got out a couple of dtb, problem is I can seem to bring myself to read them.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Tippy..... DTB is Dead Tree Book (as in - made of paper)  DTV is Dead Tree Version

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I will not read a non Kindle book. This makes my reading a little tougher right now because so much is still not Kindlized. However, DTBs no longer exist for me. I have gotten used to the larger font on the Kindle and my arms no longer hurt from holding up a heavy book. No going back for me.

Steve

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I have lots of DTBs, but only read in between kindle books - the kindle is a treat for me to finish and pass on the DTB to others orr charities  ;D

only one DTB at a time  :)

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I had 15 or so DTBs that I hadn't read when I got my Kindle in November and wanted to finish them before using my Kindle. I did pretty well until I went to visit my family for Thanksgiving. I didn't want to take DTBs so I took the Kindle. When I came back, I went back to finishing my DTB books. I can read a book very quickly, but was taking forever to finish it. I kept coming here to read KindleBoards. It was the next best thing to reading on my Kindle. I took another trip in December with the Kindle without finishing the DTB I had tried to read before leaving. When I got back picked up the book again. Put it down and bought it for the Kindle and all of the others I hadn't read also. What can I say, I just love reading on the Kindle. ::) I will take the DTBs to work with me Monday and donate them to our little library there. All of us in my department, travel at least 2 weeks out of the month for work, so sharing books is wonderful. They are all envious of my Kindle. It will be interesting to see how long it will be before they are buying one too.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Some... I still check out books that I have no intention of buying in either form. I like reading on Jinx because I can read faster and my eyes don't get as tired and since I still have a huge library, I don't foresee giving up DTBs totally for some time. That said, I will still occasionally buy a new book but only one that I wanted in print version :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts