Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!!

Soon to be *new* Kindle 2 owner here....should arrive tomorrow!! YAY!! I'm very excited! ;)

I want to use my Kindle naked....well, plan on putting the Invisible Shield on it for protection. I've used similar covers for my iPhone, iPods, (hubs laptop, etc.) and never had any problems. Has protected all these items fine.

I did purchase the m-edge GO! cover in fuchshia for those situations when I need to go somewhere or prefer the feel of a book. Not worried it doesn't have a closure as I have other things in my purse that can lean up and keep it closed. Also think the pink cover will look cute n girly! ;)

I may keep the m-edge cover on at all times...depends.

Looked at the Oberon covers which are so pretty!! LOVE the purple ROH one...but fear it's going to be too bulky/heavy thick. Plus, being they don't except returns scares me to take the plunge. :'( If they had returns I'd buy it in a milli-second. Cuz it is soooo pretty!

Would like to keep my Kindle as sleek as possible. If I don't like the m-edge GO cover...I'll return it & buy a pouch to put my Kindle in for travel.

I know everyone has their preferences which is fine--But for me...I prefer it white.....like my white iPhone...LOL Love my iPhone w/ just it's invisible cover on it.

Neway...

I've read a lot of posts and came across only a few kindle owners that like the kindle plain white....Started wondering...Am I the only
one??
haha! ::) Must be others out there.....

Anyone??
Thx all for your thoughts, input!! ;)

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Since I've discovered skins, I've been slowly skinning my items.  I like the skin on my K because of the contrast.  But I do know there are others who do like to go skinless.
deb

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have to say that I do like a darker colored skin on mine.  That white was just a little to stark white for me.  I found it a little distracting.  I have a darker colored skin and for me it works better.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have a clear silicone cover on my kindle.  I also have it in an oberon cover, sometimes I take it out.  but,  I don't have the decal/skin.  I like the white   :)

·
Registered
700 Posts
My Kindle lives skinless in it's plain, simple black Amazon cover.

I like plain and simple.  :)

(Plus it leaves more money for books.   ;))

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I'm pretty sure the majority of Kindle users don't skin their kindles. They also don't hang out with us in the Accessories forum. :D

I personally found the stark white distracting, and using a darker skin makes the screen appear lighter. But whatever works best for you is what matters.

I will say, however, if you plan to keep your Kindle mostly outside of a cover, you're best off getting extended warranty coverage through either Amazon or Square Trade. My K2 took a fall from a desk to a concrete slab floor on Monday, and without the Oberon cover, I can absolutely guarantee it would have been toast. With the cover, no Kindle injuries sustained. At least with the extended warranty, one accident of that type will be covered!

So do think through the protection factor & how you want to handle it. When I use mine without a cover, I'm always careful to either keep it above a soft surface or use an easel. I'm probably over cautious, but I'd hate to lose mine to my own clumsiness.

JUNEBUG5 said:
I know everyone has their preferences which is fine--But for me...I prefer it white.....like my white iPhone...LOL Love my iPhone w/ just it's invisible cover on it.
Now, how you got a white iPhone without using a skin is something I'd be interested in knowing about. Every iPhone I've ever seen is black & silver, and that's all that's listed on Apple's site. Do share, I'll have to replace mine soon and I'd like to see a white one if it's available!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
VictoriaP said:
I'm pretty sure the majority of Kindle users don't skin their kindles. They also don't hang out with us in the Accessories forum. :D

I personally found the stark white distracting, and using a darker skin makes the screen appear lighter. But whatever works best for you is what matters.

I will say, however, if you plan to keep your Kindle mostly outside of a cover, you're best off getting extended warranty coverage through either Amazon or Square Trade. My K2 took a fall from a desk to a concrete slab floor on Monday, and without the Oberon cover, I can absolutely guarantee it would have been toast. With the cover, no Kindle injuries sustained. At least with the extended warranty, one accident of that type will be covered!

So do think through the protection factor & how you want to handle it. When I use mine without a cover, I'm always careful to either keep it above a soft surface or use an easel. I'm probably over cautious, but I'd hate to lose mine to my own clumsiness.

Now, how you got a white iPhone without using a skin is something I'd be interested in knowing about. Every iPhone I've ever seen is black & silver, and that's all that's listed on Apple's site. Do share, I'll have to replace mine soon and I'd like to see a white one if it's available!
Thx for all your info!! :)

Well, I had the first gen. iPhone in silver...then when Apple came out with the 3G they had blk 3G iphones 8gb, 16 gb...and the white that only came out in 16gb. The white was a limited edition.

I have I believe BodyGuardz protective clear cover over it...and looks like it has nothing on it. So it's still super white! LOVE IT!

Here's a pic from the net of the white iPhone. There are some listed on ebay.

Q: The oberon cover...Do u find it to be overly thick/bulky?? Heavy? They are soooo pretty.... Would love to order one!!

Thx!! ;)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cheeki said:
I have a clear silicone cover on my kindle. I also have it in an oberon cover, sometimes I take it out. but, I don't have the decal/skin. I like the white :)
Ya, same here...I like it plain white! No decals. Do u find when u use the oberon cover it's too bulky, heavy etc. Cuz if it's not a big issue then well....LOL ya.....Might be able to take that plunge. Just so worried of the heaviness it adds to the Kindle.

Thx!! :D

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Hi Junebug5,
My Kindle 2 is unskinned with a Boxwave ClearTouch Anti-Glare screen protector. I keep the Kindle in cover from a journal I purchased at Michael's for $5. (I slipped out the journal notebook and made a Kindle holder to slip in to the cover.) The result in light, thin, and provides some protection for my Kindle. I like it the way it is but I will probably make a new cover when my current cover wears out.

I purchased Invisible Shield skins for my Zen and one for the Kindle screen but after I saw how glossy it was, I did not put it on my Kindle. (I like the Invisible Shield skin for the Zen.)

I had purchased a dark burlwood skin for the K1 before I learned I would get a K2 instead. I had thought that the white would be distracting. After less than one day of reading, I realized that I did not find the plain white Kindle distracting.

EDIT: I learned that I would find anything shiny to be distracting. An invisible anti-glare skin would be perfect. Are there any that are not glossy or semi-gloss?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pawz4me said:
My Kindle lives skinless in it's plain, simple black Amazon cover.

I like plain and simple. :)

(Plus it leaves more money for books. ;))
Me 2! OMG I almost ordered the black Amazon cover too!! LOL might still order it if I don't like the pink one when it comes. Or...possibly the oberon if it isn't too bulky...we'll see!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
After having a skin on mine that has lots movement, I find I get distracted by it. I would like just a solid color skin but have yet to find one.  

Theresam

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
JUNEBUG5 said:
Ya, same here...I like it plain white! No decals. Do u find when u use the oberon cover it's too bulky, heavy etc. Cuz if it's not a big issue then well....LOL ya.....Might be able to take that plunge. Just so worried of the heaviness it adds to the Kindle.

Thx!! :D
I have an Oberon cover and it doesn't feel heavier to me. I actually love the feel of it while reading. I sometimes set my kindle on a pillow while reading - just so I can knit and pet the dogs ;D- it's nice to be able to flip the cover over to protect it when I jump up for something. When folded over it props it a bit higher if I want to set it in my lap - not to mention with it folded over it has more grip when laid on my lap to read.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bkworm8it said:
I have an Oberon cover and it doesn't feel heavier to me. I actually love the feel of it while reading. I sometimes set my kindle on a pillow while reading - just so I can knit and pet the dogs ;D- it's nice to be able to flip the cover over to protect it when I jump up for something. When folded over it props it a bit higher if I want to set it in my lap - not to mention with it folded over it has more grip when laid on my lap to read.
Ya...guess I'll find out how I feel about things when my kindle & cover arrives. I thought of maybe getting the Oberon cover for when I plan on going somewhere...it would be protected in my purse. Then I think..."Who knows??" Maybe I'll love it and leave it on all the time. LOL Ugh...decisions.

Thx!!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Well if you get one, you'll love it and keep it on all the time! I thought at first I would change between it and the original cover. Nope, never happend.  I really like my Oberon cover. I like that it has pockets I can slip my hand into to hold my kindle now and then. Also it fits in my purse and gives a little more cushion than the regular cover. Good thing to because my purse gets bumped a lot. Not to mention they are beautiful!!

I got the purple butterfly cover. Let us know which one you decide on ;)!

theresam

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Junebug--thanks for the info on the white iPhone! Can't believe I've never seen these, now I have some hunting to do. :)

As far as the Oberon weight goes:  The K2, by itself, weighs around 10.5 ounces, or a little over half a pound.  The Oberons vary a bit (I'm guessing just due to the variations in hide); I've seen them reported as low as just under 9 ounces and as high as 9.7.  The MEdge covers, by comparison, tend to be about an ounce lighter. The Amazon cover is the lightest currently sold. From a weight perspective, there's really no difference between most covers currently on the market unless you have difficulties with your hands.  Obviously though, ALL the covers out there are going to be heavier than using a naked Kindle!  It really is all a matter of preference, and I think most people are best off getting their Kindle in hand before they make a cover decision.  Some of us have found we're more comfortable reading without one, others have found that the slimness of the K2 actually ends up cramping their hands and they're much happier reading with a nice cover, usually folded back for one handed use.

I like the ease of removing the reader from the Oberon for those times when I **do** find it too heavy, but for the most part, it's comfortable enough to read one handed.  I also have a pillow book easel that I'll drop in my lap at times, and a small folding book holder that I use to read while eating.  So there are plenty of times when the weight of the cover simply doesn't matter.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
VictoriaP said:

Actually just went to the Apple site to make sure & ya, you can still get the white iphone 16gb. It's still available. (and is limited ed. from what I've read).

HTH!! ;)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Mine has been plain white since I got it over a year ago, I don't even use the cover that it came with for storage, it always fell out of that thing anyway when I tried to read with it on. I did order a skin from decalgirl this week. Just thought I'd pretty it up. I don't think the skin is really going to protect much. Maybe smudges.

I do love gizmobies skins for my ipods and iphone, those serve a more useful purpose to me, they make it so they do not slide as much, from what I can tell they are much thicker than decalgirl skins.

·
Registered
308 Posts
There are some lighter covers than the amazon case some cheap some not so cheap. I got the cole haan kindle smooth leather cover with hinges and it weight 5.5 ounces. Not a lot lighter than the amazon case but it feels a lot lighter in the hand. I can read for long periods with it and not feel the weight of the cover. I believe tuff luv kindle cases are under 6 ounces and javeoedge has some black cases and some pink with croc style that are very light as well. There is a new company selling covers- I will try to post a separate link that have covers in many colors under $30 some leather some not and they look like the m-edge flip style case but claim to be ultra-light weight.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
bkworm8it said:
Well if you get one, you'll love it and keep it on all the time! I thought at first I would change between it and the original cover. Nope, never happend. I really like my Oberon cover. I like that it has pockets I can slip my hand into to hold my kindle now and then. Also it fits in my purse and gives a little more cushion than the regular cover. Good thing to because my purse gets bumped a lot. Not to mention they are beautiful!!

I got the purple butterfly cover. Let us know which one you decide on ;)!

theresam
Yipe!! Ok, I just didn't hear that part....the part about keeping it on all the time, etc. NOPE! NOPE! LOL!! Oh geez....Ya, I then also think since they are a bit thick...the "cushion" would protect it pretty good as well...

Q: Do you have your kindle naked (no skin, no clear invisible shield etc, ZERO) then placed inside your Oberon??? Thx!!

<sigh> Hmm...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lisanr said:
There are some lighter covers than the amazon case some cheap some not so cheap. I got the cole haan smooth leather cover with hinges and it weight 5.5 ounces. Not a lot lighter than the amazon case but it feels a lot lighter in the hand. I can read for long periods with it and not feel the weight of the cover. I believe tuff luv cases are under 6 ounces and javeoedge has some black cases and some pink with croc style that are very light as well. There is a new company selling covers- I will try to post a separate link that have covers in many colors under $30 some leather some not and they look like the m-edge flip style case but claim to be ultra-light weight.
Ahhh...Thank a lot for all the info!! Gonna ck those out..
;)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts