Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wondering how many aspiring writers there are here at Writer's Cafe. :) I know even the biggest names were once upon a time at this stage and while it can be exciting, whoo-doggies it's also stressful!

Me: I'm Sarah, I've got a YA urban fantasy/romance in the editing phases; my original goal was publication around Labor Day but for the sake of my sanity I've moved that up to November. :D I've got two other story ideas I'm itching to work on (both also YA, one scifi the other fantasy) but I'm focusing all my energy into rewrites/edits. I have an appointment to have editor Rhonda Stapleton (www.rhondaedits.com) to take a look at the beginning of September as well as a beta reader whose opinion I trust, and have already decided on a cover artist (PhatPuppy Creations). I'm excited, nervous, and want to do it "right" the first time which is why I *adore* this board and all the help!

Any others like me out there? ;)

·
Registered
250 Posts
Yep.  I am one of these unpublished writers working toward self publishing.

It is nice to meet you Sarah.  My name is Robert.  I am working on a YA high fantasy novel (it might be classified as epic also) and nearing completion of the first draft.  My goal is to have the book published to the kindle before Christmas, preferably in the autumn.

I am just now starting to set some deadlines for myself.  I just had an editor give me feed back on the first three chapters of my book and have said that I plan to deliver the completed novel in August.  So now I have to get busy and finish it.

I am still looking for a cover artist and don't have any beta readers yet.

I like all the advice, suggestions, opinions, and support I am finding here at Kindleboards.  I want to participate more in discussions but don't seem to have much to say so far.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I am, as yet, unpublished. I'm planning to publish Wings of Twilight this fall through Amazon (Kindle & CreateSpace) & Smashwords. It's currently with an editor and I have cover art and maps in the queue (i.e. the artists haven't started yet, but I'm on their To Do Lists). I had one person finish a beta read of my second draft, and have someone else reading the third draft (the same one that's with the editor), and my wife has read it through at least twice. When I get it back from the editor, I plan to try to get at least two or three more beta readers while I wait on the art.

I'm working on the sequel already (up to 13,000 words) and I have a nearly 100K word superhero novel ready for revisions/editing, as well as a YA/Middle-Grade sci-fi novella. I plan to get those both out within the next year, and probably the WoT sequel, too.

G

·
I've got one book up on Amazon, but I still classify myself as an "aspiring" writer.  Not sure when (if ever) I'll feel like I've arrived--probably when I'm making a living doing this, but even then, how do you define that?  In any case, I have a ton of other stuff I want to put up soon, and I'm working on that; a friend is editing my next book (a sci-fi adventure novel), and I'm looking around for a good cover artist.  My goal is to have my next one published in time for Worldcon, which I plan to attend this year, and three others before Christmas.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Robert: Nice to meet you too! I've also been trying to get my deadline-meeting skills sharper lately and was pretty tickled pink when I finished my story several days before my deadline. I'm having to redraft/rewrite a lot which is why I moved my own editor's appointment back a month (she was very gracious about it!); I don't know if I'll necessarily need that extra time but I didn't want to blow past a deadline and put her out extra time. :)

Hans: Sounds like you've got things in order too! It's a great idea to get as many eyes on the manuscript as you can; I've got friends who want to read it and may use them as final proofers to let me now any last-minute changes I need before it goes live.

Joe: Very true! I suppose each new book that comes out makes the author once again "aspiring" doesn't it?  ;)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Hey! Hi there!

*waves arms like a crazy person*

Yup, this is me, although all of you seem further along. I am still pounding out a draft, hopefully ready for critting in the next 4-6 weeks, I guess? At this rate? I dunno, I've never done this before. You know, to completion. I have lots of sad, half-formed little manuscripts abandoned in file folders, tucked into shameful corners of my house.

I dont have any beta readers either, but I figure I'll get some when the time comes. Or something. I am still figuring out critique circle.

Question: how far in advance does one usually book an editor?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Thank you for this thread, Ladyeclectic!

I'm a newly aspiring Indie author. I wrote my science fiction thriller, Dormant, years ago. Then I let life get in the way and it never went anywhere. In a way that's good, because I now have additional life experience. (I'm working in public health, which has taught me a lot more related to the pandemic scenario in my plot.) I also hope that my writing skills have improved. Now I'm planning publication in January 2012, which means I need to finish the necessary (read: drastic) cuts and rewrites by early November. You can learn more about my WIP here: http://www.jimiripley.com/p/wip.html

My next book may be nonfiction, or maybe another book revolving around my MC. I have so many ideas!

Joe: I just found your blog through your sig. I love the title and will be following it from here on out.

Do any of the others on the thread have blogs? Mine is barely a couple of months old, but I'm really enjoying the prompt that makes me write something each day, no matter how small.

ETA - Genevieveaclark: How far in advance depends on the editor, but I wouldn't wait to reserve your slot. The more in-demand editors have to schedule months out.

G

·
Ladyeclectic said:
Joe: Very true! I suppose each new book that comes out makes the author once again "aspiring" doesn't it? ;)
Yeah, I think the paradigm is shifting so radically that a lot of the old benchmarks are becoming meaningless. It's like Tracy Hickman says: getting "published" is nothing, it's getting READ that matters. So maybe the new benchmark is 5,000 ebooks sold, or 10 to 20 sales per day? I don't know, and frankly I don't like tying it all back to sales, but once I'm making a living at this (whether that involves traditional publishing or not), then I'll feel like I've arrived.

In the meantime, best of luck!

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hi Sarah and everyone else!

Nice seeing what everyone who hasn't published yet is up to.

I'm Coral. I've got two WIPs at the moment.

The first one is an adult Urban Fantasy that will hopefully be ready in November. (I'm really shooting for Halloween, but we'll see what happens.) I've had a handful of beta readers look it over so far and I'm in the process of doing the first pass of edits. I've got editing lined up for the end of the summer and I've whittled my cover artist choices down to two.

The second WIP is a Dark Fantasy and will probably be out early next year. That one is just starting to go through the beta reading process now. I have my eye on a particular image for that cover but I'm holding off because I don't know when it will be ready and I'll probably change my mind before then.

genevieveaclark said:
The editor I wanted booked me five full months later, so if you have any idea when you'll want it to be edited I'd request as early as possible. I find that having that deadline makes me focus on the steps I have to take between now and then, so it worked out for me.

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Hello everyone!  Good to hear there are others in the same boat.   :)

I've got a trilogy that is nearly finished in first draft form and a novel that is finished (also in first draft).  They are historical fantasy which is the main genre I want to write in but I also have some ideas for contemporary romances and like to try different things.  

I also have a son who recently turned one, so my goal for self-publishing is a couple of years away.  I want to do it properly, with editing, good quality covers & a good layout.  I'm tempted to try and teach myself to do those last two but if I can't produce results that I'm happy with then I'll hire a professional.

I've told myself that this year is mostly about reading more (something I've only just started having time to do!) and learning as much as I can about self-publishing/running my own business/Grammar.  Next year I'll start writing again in earnest.  I've done some writing this year (I did Script Frenzy and will do NaNoWriMo) but not masses due to limited free time (and limited sleep!)

Good luck to you all with your projects!  Hopefully we'll soon join the ranks of those with books in our signatures (or expand the number for those who've already made a start).

G

·
@Ripley -- Thanks!  I'm at work now, but I'll check out your blog when I get a chance.

@Genevieve -- It depends.  Personally, I wouldn't hire an editor for anything other than a copy edit / proofread.  For substantial edits, I have a network of alpha and beta readers (mostly friends, both writers and readers) that I rely on.  If it doesn't grab at least most of them, it isn't ready to go out.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yay I'm not alone!!  ;D

Genevieve, I'd definitely look into scheduling with an editor at least a couple months ahead of time. I remember reading somewhere that the KB's own RedAdept is booked solid almost four months in advance with her editing services. If you can manage to figure out a timeline for your edits/rewrites, I'd say book your editor once you've finished the first draft. I already pushed back my scheduled edit date since I wanted some time to sit on my story after this first round of edits (and it needs a LOT of edits - we authors are our own worst critics lol). You sound like me though: this is my first completed long work and let me tell you, there's NO better feeling than a proper THE END.  :D ;D

Jack: I'm real excited to see what she has to say and hope she can knock more sense into this story. :))

·
Registered
240 Posts
Zelah Meyer said:
I also have a son who recently turned one, so my goal for self-publishing is a couple of years away. I want to do it properly, with editing, good quality covers & a good layout. I'm tempted to try and teach myself to do those last two but if I can't produce results that I'm happy with then I'll hire a professional.
I understand what a time sink a baby-about-to-be-toddler can be, but I say don't wait. Make some progress, no matter how slow. My son is 14 months old. He's the reason for my extended timeline. After my son is in bed, I make a quick supper for DH and myself and then write late at night. I was up until 1am last night, and my alarm goes off around 5:45am. *yawn*

Ladyeclectic said:
Yay I'm not alone!! ;D

Genevieve, I'd definitely look into scheduling with an editor at least a couple months ahead of time. I remember reading somewhere that the KB's own RedAdept is booked solid almost four months in advance with her editing services. If you can manage to figure out a timeline for your edits/rewrites, I'd say book your editor once you've finished the first draft. I already pushed back my scheduled edit date since I wanted some time to sit on my story after this first round of edits (and it needs a LOT of edits - we authors are our own worst critics lol). You sound like me though: this is my first completed long work and let me tell you, there's NO better feeling than a proper THE END. :D ;D

Jack: I'm real excited to see what she has to say and hope she can knock more sense into this story. :))
I scheduled RedAdept editing in November. I could have had a slot a couple of months earlier, but I need the extra time. I'm looking forward to much-needed knowledgeable constructive criticism.

Edit to correct "sync" to "sink." I've been talking about syncing this morning as part of my job as a web developer. Oops.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Hi,
I've been lurking for a while and this thread finally made me post! I'm very new at all of this. I've self pubbed a few short stories for free on smashwords.com to just get a feel for formatting and how the whole self-pub thing works.
I'm also getting back into writing after a 10 year hiatus. I have much to learn about the business and craft of writing, that's for darn sure.

I'm hoping by the end of summer to release my first novel. I don't have a title yet, but it's about a vigilante houswife. Catwoman meets Mrs. Cleaver - or something like that. lol

I'm lucky that one of my friends is a really good at copy-editing and her husband is a head librarian in the YA department, so I'm exchanging babysitting thier kids once a week for a month for copy-editing and beta reading.

My short term goal in all of this is to make enough money for a new living room rug. That way, everytime I walk on it or, let's face it - vaccume it, I can bask in my accomplishments as a writer. :p

Anyway, thanks for this thread that finally gave me the confidence to post! lol
I hope to post some more when I actually have something worth posting about!

http://maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com/

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
Ripley said:
I understand what a time sink a baby-about-to-be-toddler can be, but I say don't wait. Make some progress, no matter how slow. My son is 14 months old. He's the reason for my extended timeline. After my son is in bed, I make a quick supper for DH and myself and then write late at night. I was up until 1am last night, and my alarm goes off around 5:45am. *yawn*
I admire your stamina! :eek:

Unfortunately my son is largely nocturnal! He generally doesn't go to sleep until around 1-2am (he went through a month or so of waiting until around 4:30am... Hopefully that won't happen again!) He sleeps well once he's down so it's not too bad - but it does mean that to write without interruptions I generally have to wait until my husband comes home and can take over baby-watching duties.

I am considering trying to bring things forward a bit though if I can find the time!

·
Registered
244 Posts
genevieveaclark said:
...I have lots of sad, half-formed little manuscripts abandoned in file folders, tucked into shameful corners of my house.

I dont have any beta readers either, but I figure I'll get some when the time comes. Or something. I am still figuring out critique circle.

I didn't count the unfinished stories, outlines, and documents with ideas I have.

I contacted my editor before I was finished with my revisions. I had a completion date in mine already, and wanted to know if she could get it edited in that time frame. So, how far in advance you book it depends on what deadlines you've given yourself. If you don't have a set deadline for publication, just get your manuscript to the point you're ready to send it off and then contact an editor. The editor I chose (Cheryl Bradshaw) was available immediately...which was ahead of me by about a week. :p

Ripley said:
Do any of the others on the thread have blogs? Mine is barely a couple of months old, but I'm really enjoying the prompt that makes me write something each day, no matter how small.
I have a blog at http://hccummings.wordpress.com. There isn't much there right now, but I do have a few sneak peeks at characters in my book with art by Char Reed, as well as some downloadable samples of short stories I wrote (in PDF, ePub, and mobi formats!).

Now that Wings of Twilight is with an editor, I'm ready to get my art done and get this thing out of here! Gotta wait on the artists' schedules to free up, though. My cover artist (Rowena Aitken) says she'll be able to start by the end of the month. I think my cartographer (Jonathan Roberts) said he'd be able to start by the end of July/early August, so I think I'm good for my fall deadline. Of course, if I knew how quickly some of this stuff would move, I would have pushed for an earlier, like end of July deadline so I'd have books available for the big gaming convention that's in town in early August (Gen Con), but I missed the deadline to buy a table on Author's Avenue, so it's just as well. By next year, I plan to have at least 2 full-length novels and a novella available, so I'll have a better display at the table anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi everybody,

Nice to meet you all.

I'm afraid I'll never get beyond the first draft-stage. I love writing, and I have finished my first novel, now writing my second. But I just dread the rewriting/revising stage so much. Sometimes I'm not sure I'll ever have something polished enough to publish. But I'll keep improving my craft, and try to go at it, one page at a time.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm hopefully within a week of not being able to post in this thread!  I'm waiting on my cover artist to complete my covers, and then I have two novels ready to go up.

For those of you who need motivation, here's a suggestion that may seem like procrastination: look through old forum and blog posts.  All of the people that you see around today, who talk about selling a ridiculous amount of copies?  Their initial posts are back there, filled with the same excitement and trepidation as they readied and then finally released their first books!  They talk about wondering if they'll sell any books, hoping that they'll find readers, and whether it'll all be worth it, eventually.  Then jump to a present-day thread where they talk about their sales in the last month.

These forums are simply amazing.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I’ve had articles published in motorcycle magazines, but no books or novels…as of yet.

I have written 5 novels. Three of them will never see the light of day – they’re that bad – the other two? Eh, not too bad, but not there yet.

I am encouraged by the increasing success of short stories in this format. I have a dozen or so  I’m thinking of putting together into an anthology to see how that does.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts