Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read all of General George Custer's wife, Elizabeth's books on Kindle, as well as purchasing a book called "None Wounded, None Missing, All Dead" by Chriss Enss that was not available on Kindle.

I'm now looking at a good overall read for a proper introduction to Custer, including the infamous "last stand," and am currently thinking of Nathaniel Philbrick's "The Last Stand" or James Donovan's "Terrible Glory."  I'm open to any and all suggestions, but prefer the non-fiction account be on Kindle.  

p.s. I might add that I'm very interested in non-fiction accounts describing all aspects of Custer's life, character development, etc., and am less interested in mere military accounts.  Thanks!

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm a fan of historical fiction, but very much not a fan of Custer. I've read enough to believe that Custer thought he was going to perpetrate another Sand Creek Massacre and bit off more than he could chew. Donovan's book sounds very pro-Custer. Philbrick's more balanced.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I liked SON OF THE MORNING STAR, by Evan Connell. It's a picture as much of Custer's times as the man himself. If you're really into it, visit Little Bighorn. Fascinating. Maybe you've been?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you to all ... I have a very long list of related books, but always appreciate a personal recommendation.  No, I haven't been to the Little Bighorn, Jon, but would absolutely love to visit.  I also saw the Son of the Morning Star on Encore last night, EGranfors, but I'm sure the book is better!  Thanks everyone !!  I've really enjoyed all of General Custer and his wife's personal accounts on Kindle. 

·
Registered
55 Posts
It's not non-fiction, but you should check out Black Hills by Dan Simmons. It's about a Lakota Indian who counts coup on Custer right before he dies and spends the rest of his life with Custer inside his head. While Custer is just a secondary character, there are interludes based directly on his personal correspondence. Dan Simmons is a master of historical fiction, and probably the best all-around writer we have right now. He's given the same kind of historical fiction treatment to Hemingway in Cuba in The Crook Factory, the Franklin Expedition in The Terror and Wilkie Collins in Drood. His research is impeccable and his historical characters are heavily researched and very true-to-life. If you're a Custer fan I strongly urge you to check out Black Hills. It may be fiction but it's heavily steeped in fact, especially when it comes to the Custer scenes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts