KBoards.com banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there Kindlers,

I am looking to read some good indie horrow stories. Any suggestions?

I am really hoping to avoid the following though, any fantasy and anything with vampires (I realise that there are horror vampire stories, but I'd still like to avoid it)

Sadly it seems that whenever I search books there is just a lot of vampires and fantasy. Could it be the popularity of Twilight/Harry Potter and LotR? Maybe. But where are some good monster stories, or ghost stories?

Hit me with your suggestions!

Thanks,

Les.

PS. I do read my fair share of vampire and fantasy, not to write off those genres completely, but right now I want something new that I haven't read in ages.

PPS. New to the boards so hopefully this is the right place for this kind of post.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Scott Nicholson is good ... first one I read of his was "Red Church". 

For more intense and gruesome horror, try J. A. Konrath or Jack Kilborn (same person) or Blake Crouch

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I finished this one last week, and while I have a few criticisms, I felt it was very good:

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks posters, funnily enough the whole reason for the post was because I just finished reading Konrath/Crouch's 'Serial' and reall enjoyed it.

Will check out Nicholson.

Will also check out Shimmer.

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
A. Rosaria said:
You could try Amanda Hocking's Hollowland No vampire's in that one.
Not really a horror book though..

---

was really good I thought.

Creeped me out, but I have gag issues with maggots.. just thinking about them makes me retch.

·
Registered
5,251 Posts
So far, anyone I think of is already mentioned.
Still, here is a list of a few good ones.

Scott Nicholson.
Ronald Kelly.
Jack Kilbourn (psuedonym of JK Konrath)
Harry Shannon
Jeff Strand
Brian Keene
Edward Lee
Greg Gifune
Ron Malfi

Some of these guys worked with Leisure until they tanked and now a lot of their stuff is available in e-book format. All of them are definitely worth checking out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Don't know about books, but I can recommend about a hundred 80s horror movies...

·
Registered
958 Posts
carl_h said:
Scott Nicholson is good ... first one I read of his was "Red Church".

For more intense and gruesome horror, try J. A. Konrath or Jack Kilborn (same person) or Blake Crouch
Ditto on Nicholson. Haven't read Konrath yet, but apparently he's quite good. Joseph Nassise also writes horror and I've heard really good things about his work as well.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You know I've read some of Konrath and I've found him to be almost too "crude" for my liking.  Which is very strange because Stephen King is my favorite author:)

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'll second (or is that third?) Blake Crouch. Keene is another great one. I don't really think he's indie, but David Wellington writes some decent stuff, though some of it does include vampires (but not all). Eric S. Brown also writes plenty of zombie literature.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts