Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
The old-fashioned way -- hard work.

But I saw them advertise A LOT this summer, on Google, Facebook, Goodreads, RT, and probably numerous other places I can't recall or didn't even know about. They must have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into advertising, if not more.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I wondered the same thing 2 weeks ago when a KB author used their promotion to catapult her book to top 100 paid ranks. They have an awful lot of subscribers/lists. Whatever they've implemented,  it's working.

·
Registered
417 Posts
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
I wondered the same thing 2 weeks ago when a KB author used their promotion to catapult her book to top 100 paid ranks. They have an awful lot of subscribers/lists. Whatever they've implemented, it's working.
I know. I'm incredibly jealous of what they've got going! :'(

·
Registered
485 Posts
olefish said:
I was wondering about the advertising part. The consensus around seems to be buying google ads, facebook ads, goodread ads, don't generally give a good return on investment.
There is a big difference between Google ads to sell a $5 book and ads to create a mailing list that will generate thousands in revenue. I suspect they spent a ton of money building that list, and now they are starting to earn a return on that investment.

I'd love to know what their cost per subscriber is, but of course they'd never release that. They seem to have a very high quality list, so however they built it, they did a great job.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
jayallan said:
There is a big difference between Google ads to sell a $5 book and ads to create a mailing list that will generate thousands in revenue. I suspect they spent a ton of money building that list, and now they are starting to earn a return on that investment.
This. Google ads are generally not a good return on investment because you might be paying $2 per click to earn at most $3 per copy sold -- and that's assuming that everyone who clicks will buy.

But the reason Bookbub can command the prices they do is because of the size of their list. And they built it from the ground up. I can't remember how I first stumbled upon them -- it was either Facebook or Google. I'm pretty sure I finally clicked through for the first time and subscribed as a result of a Facebook ad, but I might have seen a Google ad previously. It did take a few times of seeing them before I bothered to check it out and see what it was.

Bookbub spent a lot of money advertising this summer in order to build that list, and now every month or so, the ad prices go up. They're earning money with each ad they sell (two per category every day, although some categories have three per day), plus all the affiliate fees when people click on the ad and then purchase something from Amazon. They're taking in several thousand in ad fees alone per day.

·
Registered
951 Posts
olefish said:
I was wondering about the advertising part. The consensus around seems to be buying google ads, facebook ads, goodread ads, don't generally give a good return on investment.
Remember that you are selling one book, they are selling a service. That service seems like it is free to the end user but:
1) they collect revenue from ads prices that keep rising due to subscribers
2) they collect amazon affiliate fees.
3) word of mouth on free passes much quicker.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I first heard about Bookbub here on the boards. Didn't see anything on FB/Google/etc.

I subscribed because I was thinking of trying to place an ad and wanted to see what the daily email looked like. Loved the format with the large cover and quick blurb. Very clean and easy to read.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Sara Rosett said:
I first heard about Bookbub here on the boards. Didn't see anything on FB/Google/etc.

I subscribed because I was thinking of trying to place an ad and wanted to see what the daily email looked like. Loved the format with the large cover and quick blurb. Very clean and easy to read.
Same here. Heard about them here on KB and love the easy-to-read format.

And my promo with them yesterday was stellar. Peace Warrior went from #1954 in the Free for Kindle list to #12. Category ranking went from #12 in a single category (Military Sci Fi) to #1 in two categories. More than 10k downloads. Well worth the $60 I spent for the ad. Two thumbs up.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Steven L. Hawk said:
Same here. Heard about them here on KB and love the easy-to-read format.

And my promo with them yesterday was stellar. Peace Warrior went from #1954 in the Free for Kindle list to #12. Category ranking went from #12 in a single category (Military Sci Fi) to #1 in two categories. More than 10k downloads. Well worth the $60 I spent for the ad. Two thumbs up.
I watched your book rise, Steven, to get a feel for how my promo today might go. Quite a nice little ride. Mine just went live, and it's coming from absolutely no previous ranking and it's for a paid (99 cent) bargain book, so it'll be interesting to see how it goes. I noticed things were pretty steady most of the day, then popped in the evening.

Did you do any other promo?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Saul Tanpepper said:
I noticed things were pretty steady most of the day, then popped in the evening.

Did you do any other promo?
Hi, Saul. You are correct. Although there were several thousand downloads by mid-day, the actual rankings didn't pop until early evening. The only thing I can attribute that to is a lag in the system.

As for other promo's I was also on the KB Bargains blast yesterday. I've done that one in the past, and while it provides a bump, it's nothing like the one I saw yesterday via BB. I'd attribute >90% of the downloads to BB. Ideally, the two would have run separately so I could compare but, even though I requested a 4/1 date from BB, they inserted me into yesterday's lineup. Just bad timing in that regard.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
When they run their ads, is it just for one day?

·
Registered
New crime fiction series.
3,523 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
The old-fashioned way -- hard work.

But I saw them advertise A LOT this summer, on Google, Facebook, Goodreads, RT, and probably numerous other places I can't recall or didn't even know about. They must have sunk tens of thousands of dollars into advertising, if not more.
Exactly. They put a lot of money on building that huge of a list in just a year or so. That's why they protect it like gold. If they just start mailing for anyone who pays, they won't get their ROI on their list building.

·
Registered
7,648 Posts
They also turned down a lot of books. Which sucks when it's you, but they're acting as a gatekeeper, which is really a big part of what publishers were doing.

·
Registered
5,749 Posts
I will be first to admit that I love that I see traditionally-published books right alongside indie books, which is something that really seems to make Bookbub stand out from most of the other bargain books newsletters, and which gives an air of "credibility" that I think lots of readers like (even if we don't want that to be so).

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Dalya said:
They also turned down a lot of books. Which sucks when it's you, but they're acting as a gatekeeper, which is really a big part of what publishers were doing.
I understand the sentiment re: gatekeepers, and it's the one thing I celebrate most being gone with SP, but I think it mislabels what companies like BB and ENT are doing. The publishing gatekeepers restricted author access to the public. These promotion sites are restricting their selections, not access. As self-publishers, we have free and unfettered access; it's just as easy. That's why mailing lists, social media and other avenues for spreading the word are so important. If anything, I'd label BB and similar sites as high speed tollways. Without using them, you can still get where you're trying to go, just not as quickly or as easily.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Amanda Brice said:
I will be first to admit that I love that I see traditionally-published books right alongside indie books, which is something that really seems to make Bookbub stand out from most of the other bargain books newsletters, and which gives an air of "credibility" that I think lots of readers like (even if we don't want that to be so).
Yes, and the main reason BookBub is successful is because their subscribers trust them to offer quality books. I have a group of friends outside the writing world who have unsubscribed to many lists after being burned with books they can't even get past the first few chapters. They all love BB.

*This isn't to say that books that get turned down aren't quality books. Covers, reviews, genre all matter as does frequency of advertising and what types of books work well for BB's reader list.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts