Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I have to admit, I currently own a nook (the original)... but recently have seen the Kindle DX and like the size (I'm getting older and just acquired bi-focals).  ;D

Are there any converts from the nook to the Kindle DX? If so, what do like about the Kindle DX that outweighs the nook?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I took advantage of the DXG sale Staples was running. I love the thing!
I mainly use it for reading pdfs that do not display well on the Nook or K3.

I also like reading my usual ebooks on my DX also, because like you, my eyes are going buggy.  :eek:

Above the original Nook... larger screen, and pearl-eink.

It seems a little on the slow side, but it could be the pdfs I'm viewing.

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
The main advantage with the DX is, as the Goat said, the screen size.  It works decently for PDF's which are usually formatted to print on a standard sized page.  And you can switch it to landscape viewing for just a bit more zoom.  If you have a lot of PDFs that really need to stay in that format, it's going to work better than one of the smaller screen devices.  I've even successfully used it for sheet music!

·
Registered
20,399 Posts
I'm not a "convert" because the DX is all I've ever owned.  I look at the K3's and the Nooks and think "how cute, but how small!" 

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I love looking at an e-ink screen -- it's so much easier on the eyes -- and the Kindle DX just gives you more screen. It's great for people with bad eyesight, who are increasing the font sizes -- because the big Kindle DX makes you feel like you're still getting a full page of text

The only real disadvantage is that it's a little heavier, so it's harder to hold. I recommend using a Kindle jacket that doubles as a stand, because then you can prop up your Kindle DX,and read it without using your hands! And there's one other big drawback to the Kindle DX: once you start using it, you'll never want to go back to a six-inch screen!

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I've even successfully used it for sheet music!
I was wondering about that. My cousin is a professional flautist and pianist who asked me if her sheet music on a Kindle. She too would need the DX and perhaps would need to zoom/enlarge the music. She is a new mom and teaches masters classes at one of the universities here full-time, so anything that could A) make her life easier, B) carry a lighter load (which is hard with baby stuff) --would be a major plus as she carries many large heavy bags, and C) travels a lot for such things as performances, teaching, judging, student evaluations, etc.

So Ann do you just have the music converted as a PDF? Have you zoomed on the music to make it easier to read? Do you know if you can fix it so it does an "auto page turn"? Do you have the DX set to view sideways or vertical? How do you deal with the screensaver turning on?

Tris

·
Super Moderator
67,350 Posts
Tris said:
So Ann do you just have the music converted as a PDF? Have you zoomed on the music to make it easier to read? Do you know if you can fix it so it does an "auto page turn"? Do you have the DX set to view sideways or vertical? How do you deal with the screensaver turning on?

Tris
If one's eyesight is good enough portrait will probably work fine. There are some zooming controls, I believe, but wouldn't work well because it doesn't go fast enough for page switching.

Amazon actually has some Kindle formatted sheet music -- mostly classical piano stuff. But, yeah, making it a PDF with the smallest possible margins, is probably going to be your best bet.

Note that page turns aren't super fast, so you have to get used to when you have to hit the button so that it will turn when you're ready for it. You'd want to rehearse with it for sure and not just jump on it for a performance. :eek:

I don't know of any 'auto' page turn, though, for text, you can set it to read to you and turn the sound down. I'm not sure that would work with sheet music though. And probably not with any PDF file.

Sleeping isn't usually a problem as the default time on the DX is 20 minutes vs. 10 on the smaller Kindle.

If you use it in landscape mode you'll only get half a page, but it will be bigger, but there will be more page turns. And sometimes there's overlap so one "page" actually is 3 pages in landscape.

Now, if you need to be able to see more than one page at a time, it's not going to work well. I play flute with our church group but sometimes I'm playing a written part and sometimes just improvising from the chords, or playing one of the choral parts. . . so a lot of times I need two, maybe 3 sheets easily available for my eyes to stray to. But we do have a guitarist in our group who, since Easter, puts all his music on his iPad. . .he sets it up for minimal page turns and it works just fine.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
When I bought my Kindle2 2+ years ago, I didn't consider the DX because of the cost. But now, I love the Kindle2 for its portability, and I'm used to the smaller screen.

If I was just now buying my first Kindle, I would probably consider a DX.

·
Registered
6,291 Posts
I bought the original Kindle DX a few months after it came out because of the influence of the enablers on kindleboards.  I loved it, but since I've had K3, I read on it all the time because the font is darker.  I have to have a small device for carrying with me.

You should keep in mind that the screen size is a little smaller than a standard sheet of paper (which is 8-1/2 x 11), so PDFs look smaller on the DX than on a print-out on letter-size paper.  I have never been satisfied with reading PDF magazines on the DX, because they look small, can't be resized and are not dark enough. 

·
Registered
180 Posts
scarlet said:
I'm not a "convert" because the DX is all I've ever owned. I look at the K3's and the Nooks and think "how cute, but how small!"
Same here, the DX is all I've ever had, 130 books in @ 2 years and can't say enough about it. M Edge platform cover and its one of the nicest things I've ever owned.

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't have a nook, but I do have a K3 and a DX.  I bought the DX first because the size reminded me more of a hard back and the ability to get more print per page appealed to me.  I love it for reading at home and it lives on my nightstand.  The K3, closer in size to the Nook, is perfect for "take out" and travel, and lives in my handbag.  If possible, I recommend having both, but this may not be practical for someone if s/he is heavily invested in books for Nook.    8)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Here's a size comparison between the K3 and the DXG, if you like.
I threw the Nook Simple Touch in, just fer the 'eck of it.

·
5,931 Posts
If you're having eye troubles then the larger screen is always going to be the better one for you. But I don't think it's a case of one being better than the other, more a case of what suits your lifestyle and the places you want to read in.

I don't have a Nook, but I do have both a K3 and a DXG and I like them both equally. The large screen on the DXG is great, but I only read it at home - I wouldn't care to have to carry it around with me. For out and about reading, the K3 is the perfect size, as I imagine the Nook would be.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
If one's eyesight is good enough portrait will probably work fine. There are some zooming controls, I believe, but wouldn't work well because it doesn't go fast enough for page switching.

Amazon actually has some Kindle formatted sheet music -- mostly classical piano stuff. But, yeah, making it a PDF with the smallest possible margins, is probably going to be your best bet.

Note that page turns aren't super fast, so you have to get used to when you have to hit the button so that it will turn when you're ready for it. You'd want to rehearse with it for sure and not just jump on it for a performance. :eek:

I don't know of any 'auto' page turn, though, for text, you can set it to read to you and turn the sound down. I'm not sure that would work with sheet music though. And probably not with any PDF file.

Sleeping isn't usually a problem as the default time on the DX is 20 minutes vs. 10 on the smaller Kindle.

If you use it in landscape mode you'll only get half a page, but it will be bigger, but there will be more page turns. And sometimes there's overlap so one "page" actually is 3 pages in landscape.

Now, if you need to be able to see more than one page at a time, it's not going to work well. I play flute with our church group but sometimes I'm playing a written part and sometimes just improvising from the chords, or playing one of the choral parts. . . so a lot of times I need two, maybe 3 sheets easily available for my eyes to stray to. But we do have a guitarist in our group who, since Easter, puts all his music on his iPad. . .he sets it up for minimal page turns and it works just fine.
Thanks Ann! I'm just a big reader so I never thought about having music on my Kindle. My cousin really likes my Kindle whenever she sees me popping it out to read it, but she hardly ever gets a time for some "free reading" now a days, and would love to use it for keeping music sheets. I think she would probably want to wait a bit to see if anything improves...again. Too bad...

Tris

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me and My Kindle said:
I love looking at an e-ink screen
I do like the e-ink screen on the nook... one of the main reasons I didn't pick up a nook color, it has the lighted background.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ann in Arlington said:
I play flute with our church group but sometimes I'm playing a written part and sometimes just improvising from the chords, or playing one of the choral parts. . . so a lot of times I need two, maybe 3 sheets easily available for my eyes to stray to. But we do have a guitarist in our group who, since Easter, puts all his music on his iPad. . .he sets it up for minimal page turns and it works just fine.
I currently play the electric guitar for my praise band at church - we use lead sheets... I like the idea for using the PDF music print outs!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Okay - so say I take the plunge and get a KindleDX, Can I transfer the books I already have on my nook over to the DX?

·
Registered
524 Posts
KenLang said:
Okay - so say I take the plunge and get a KindleDX, Can I transfer the books I already have on my nook over to the DX?
Yes. Go to "manage my Kindle" on Amazon's site and send the books to your new DX.

I decided I wanted a Kindle so I could get books in Mexico. I'd never seen a Kindle or any other ereader. I waited and looked and waited and finally ordered a DX. I'm old and don't see well and the DX was fine but the size made carrying it around awkward. Of course, two weeks after I got my DX I saw a K2 and could read the smaller screen without a problem. I don't use teeny tiny fonts of course.

I don't read .pdf files or other odd sources and the K3 is fine for me.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts