Kindle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd seen some threads a few months back when the first KU bonuses were paid out which contained some stats. Just wondering, ball park, what it takes now that the dust has settled, people have come and gone etc, to land a bonus. Anyone hit in December or January and want to dish on your numbers? I'd love to gather some info on it.
Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I got a title bonus for Starship Eternal in January. It had ~6k sales/borrows (U.S. only).
Overall, I moved about 8.5k books.

I didn't get an author bonus.

SE had 10k sales/borrows in February, and I did around 13k books overall, so we'll see.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mrforbes said:
I got a title bonus for Starship Eternal in January. It had ~6k sales/borrows (U.S. only).

SE had 10k sales/borrows in February, and I did around 13k books overall, so we'll see.
LOVE that cover, and congrats! That's awesome. Unfortunately, I don't have any self-pubbed breakout hits like that. More like a handful of steady sellers that I'm hoping add up to enough to eek out an lower tier author bonus :D

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so authors who have titles enrolled in Kindle Unlimited (Amazon's subscription based book lending service) can earn bonuses based on a combination of sales and borrows. So the top selling/borrowed authors in a  given month get a bonus from Amazon ranging from (i THINK) $1,000 to $25,000 (which is very very very hard to do lol). I'd be thrilled with the extra grand!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Chrisbwritin said:
Okay, so authors who have titles enrolled in Kindle Unlimited (Amazon's subscription based book lending service) can earn bonuses based on a combination of sales and borrows. So the top selling/borrowed authors in a given month get a bonus from Amazon ranging from (i THINK) $1,000 to $25,000 (which is very very very hard to do lol). I'd be thrilled with the extra grand!
$500 to $25000.

This was in the email I got:
"We determine 'most-read' rankings by combining books sold plus qualified borrows from Kindle Unlimited (KU) and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) during the month on Amazon.com."

I got a small bonus ($500) in Jan for my new release for .com, which was a surprise as it was my first toe dip in the KU pool (Venomous - B00RG0IGH6). For that book it was 4700+ borrows and 3400+ sales that allowed me to qualify. I'd prefer they ditched the money and offered more visibility. If you're shifting that much at a higher price point you're making five figures anyway. Exposure/eyes on the book for a day would be a hundred times more valuable IMHO.

That makes me seem so ungrateful, but more and more people will achieve it soon enough and want the same thing, I believe.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Miss_Fletcher said:
$500 to $25000.

This was in the email I got:
"We determine 'most-read' rankings by combining books sold plus qualified borrows from Kindle Unlimited (KU) and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library (KOLL) during the month on Amazon.com."

I got a small bonus ($500) in Jan for my new release for .com, which was a surprise as it was my first toe dip in the KU pool (Venomous - B00RG0IGH6). For that book it was 4700+ borrows and 3400+ sales that allowed me to qualify. I'd prefer they ditched the money and offered more visibility. If you're shifting that much at a higher price point you're making five figures anyway. Exposure/eyes on the book for a day would be a hundred times more valuable IMHO.

That makes me seem so ungrateful, but more and more people will achieve it soon enough and want the same thing, I believe.
I don't think it seems ungrateful at all. I know for sure that, whenever I achieve a goal, I set a new one. Standing still is for suckers ;)

That said, I actually thought the numbers were lower than that. I'm logging about 250-280 borrows a day and about 120 (eligible) sales. My box sets are not in KU so those sales don't count toward my total. I knew of someone who hit end of last year with around 11k between sales and borrows for $1000 but if single book numbers are almost as high as my total count, I imagine I'm way off.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mrforbes said:

Can you post again if you hit in Feb with 10K overall? Curious if that's enough to cut it!

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
Here is the thing about your question.    Just because X borrows = y bonus one month will not mean anything towards the next month.  Next month it may be 10x borrows to make y-50 bonus.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Right, but there is certainly valid data that can be gathered based on whether its gone from 10k +/- to 20k+/- since last I had information. Just like we can't pinpoint how many books at a given ranking are selling because it depends on the books around them at any given time, but we all discuss averages etc. and come up with a standard(ish) of trying to determine how many books need to be sold to hit a certain rank. It's not science, to be sure, but it's nice to know if one is even within spitting distance.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
It's important to remember, for author bonuses at least, that it all has to be under one name. I have two big names. The second hasn't earned a bonus yet. It's a work in progress. I hope to get it to the lowest rung by the end of the summer. My main name has qualified every month but one (the first). Last month I moved about 18,000 units under that name in January and got a $2,500 bonus. I miss getting a ranking to know how close I was to the next bonus. I moved more than 21,000 units under that name in February. It was a shorter month, so I'm hopeful (but not convinced) I can move up to another bracket. I just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info, Yoda. That's fabulous! I hope you make it.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I was also PMed this info from an author who wishes to remain anonymous, for those who were also interested in data:

Amount of books sold/borrowed in January: 25918 (only.com) sold under 1 pen name. $5000 author bonus.

·
Registered
769 Posts
YodaRead said:
I moved more than 21,000 units under that name in February. It was a shorter month, so I'm hopeful (but not convinced) I can move up to another bracket. I just have to wait and see.
Hi Yoda... don't mean to put you on the spot with this question. So if you feel it's not appropriate... 1. I am sorry. 2. Don't answer it. ;)

Did you make it to the $5000 bracket in Februari?

Thanks!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts