Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye wrote a series of novels about depiction of what Christians refer to as the tribulation period  These novels sold very well. This has encouraged some other authors to write about this subject.

So I was wondering if you have ever written novels about this bible prophecy?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Ten years or so ago my oldest daughter came home and asked me was I worried about the Rapture. Had never heard of it before then, and thought she was admonishing me for my daily cranberry and vodka. What shocked me was that my daughter was sincerely concerned about being Left Behind, and thought I should be worried as well. So I read one of the books and then started writing my own novel titled Ruptured, in which a handful of citizens in a small town oversleep an evacuation order and assume they were in fact Left Behind. Modern technology kept derailing the plot: a cell phone or a tweet, story over. Since I've matured, I more respect the beliefs held by others, although I often find them incredible and highly improbable.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have heard a lot of sermons preached on the second coming of Christ and the Rapture and the tribulation period.  However, if you go to your Bible you won't find it very clear though.  It seems like people have put a bunch of scriptures together and came up with a nice story. 

Some churches don't believe in the second coming and all those predicted events to come.  Paul believed in the coming of the Kingdom of God and thought it would happen during his lifetime.  Revelations was written with this thought in mind too.

It makes an interesting story and a lot of people believe in it.  However, it has been 2,000 years since Jesus was here and it happened yet.  So it probably won't happen at all.

But a lot of people believe in the second coming and have read these Left Behind novels and believed every word.

And B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye have made a lot of money off of this fantasy or maybe fact, depending on your belief.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
jhendereson said:
Ten years or so ago my oldest daughter came home and asked me was I worried about the Rapture. Had never heard of it before then, and thought she was admonishing me for my daily cranberry and vodka. What shocked me was that my daughter was sincerely concerned about being Left Behind, and thought I should be worried as well. So I read one of the books and then started writing my own novel titled Ruptured, in which a handful of citizens in a small town oversleep an evacuation order and assume they were in fact Left Behind. Modern technology kept derailing the plot: a cell phone or a tweet, story over. Since I've matured, I more respect the beliefs held by others, although I often find them incredible and highly improbable.
Sounds like a great story! Maybe set it back in time a bit before cell phones or such. ;D I'd love to read this.

Vicki

·
Registered
20,440 Posts
jhendereson said:
Or have some other explanation of why cell phone/internet service is down, that'll make it more fun. Village in a valley still on a cable network, cell phone network out, cable cut, etc....

·
Registered
876 Posts
jhendereson said:
Did you finish your novel? Sounds good.

The idea of a rapture does not seem so far-fetched if you look at it from a 'different planes of consciousness' POV. Many struggle with the simple fact time is not linear, so understanding dimensions and bio-energy frequencies, DNA activation and manipulation...there's a lot humans have yet to understand. Some of these truths are told in the form of stories.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Victorine said:
Sounds like a great story! Maybe set it back in time a bit before cell phones or such. ;D I'd love to read this.

Vicki
All you need is a air-burst nuclear explosion or something that will generate an EMP (electromagnetic pulse) which will knock out all electronics. An SF author could have an experiment going wrong, the town evacuated, an EMP occurring and then there would be no cell phones or computers working. Easily achievable.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Franklin Eddy said:
B. Jenkins and Tim LaHaye wrote a series of novels about depiction of what Christians refer to as the tribulation period These novels sold very well. This has encouraged some other authors to write about this subject.

So I was wondering if you have ever written novels about this bible prophecy?
All nonsensical, incomprehensible hoohah to me I'm afraid. I'm an Eclectic Pagan.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts