Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.

I just happened to stumble across this board tonight and have been doing a bit of reading. I bought my first kindle almost a year ago, and (now) regrettably ended up selling it because I did not find myself with the time to read as much as I would have hoped. However, the situation has changed and I am able to seriously consider a purchase of a kindle again.

However, I find myself running into a bit of a dilemma here. I've only owned a K1, and I know the K2 has some improvements on it. I noticed on Amazon I could buy a refurb of the K1 for $60 less than the K2. Normally, I would never do this (I'd rather pay a bit more for something new), but given how different the K1 and K2 seem to be, I am not sure what I should do.

I liked the K1 very much. I've read the techical differences between the K1 and K2, and really can't decide. Thus, I am asking the friendly kindle owners on this board- is the K2 worth it over the K1, or should I stick with what I know? Am I losing anything by going to the K2?

Thank you everyone.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Welcome to KindleBoards, Allusion!  :)

I know many people prefer the Kindle 2, but I love the original. My mom and I each have a first-generation Kindle while my dad has a Kindle 2, and, although the K2 is sleeker and "sexier" than the original Kindle and certainly boasts some advantages (the increased number of grays being a biggie), I still wouldn't trade in my K1.

Reasons? Here are a couple that matter to me: quite a few K2s have had problems with screen contrast/readabilty and text fading in direct sunlight -- issues far more rare in the K1 -- and, of course, the K2 also lacks an SD card slot. External storage is something that I'd never want to give up, no matter how much hard drive space was increased. When I'm done with a book, it goes on my SD card, and my SD card goes into the little pocket inside my Oberon cover -- that way, a finished book isn't taking up space on or visually cluttering my Kindle, but it's still accessible without relying on Whispernet to access the Amazon archive. Some people also use SD cards as a method of organization: a card for sci-fi titles, one for romances, another for non-fiction, etc. With the K2, you don't have that option.

If you have the opportunity, of course, it'd be a good idea to check out a K2 in person. For some people, just the changes in physical design (the thinness, the symmetry) are enough to convince them to make the switch; for me--well, I think my dad's K2 is lovely, but getting to try it out didn't make me want to put my first-gen Kindle up for sale and buy a K2 of my own. New is nice, but I've always been a fan of the classics.  ;D

Good luck making your decision!

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had the chance to have the K1 and K2 at the same time. After using both of them, I decided to return the K2 and keep the K1. I really liked the scroll wheel, keyboard, and the SD card slot of the K1. I didn't like using the K2's keyboard and the 5-way controller was annoying when I wanted to know a word's definition, especially if the word is in the middle of the text, but I liked that images looked better on the K2. Good luck with getting a new kindle! (be it K1 or K2)  :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hey there Allusion. Welcome aboard :)

I recently bought a used K1 from eBay. My reasons for doing so were mostly to do with reliability. I'm in Australia, so I can't just exchange the unit if I found there was something wrong with it, and it seems to me that there's some quality control issues with the K2's screen; fading text in sunlight and low contrast between text and background. Obviously, not all units have these problems, but it was something to consider. The removable battery on the K1 was also appealing for the same reason; since I can't just send the unit back for a battery replacement, with the K1 I can just buy a brand new battery.

Since (I'm guessing) you're in the USA, these reasons probably don't have as much weight for you. If 2GB storage is enough for you, spending a little more isn't a problem, and the extra shades of grey appeal to you, you might want to go for the K2. It's also better designed, both aesthetically and the user interface and controls. Battery life is improved as well. I'm sure you know all this though, having compared the two.

Having said all that, I still don't think the K2 is all that much improved over the K1. There really aren't too many differences. The next iteration of the Kindle (not the DX) will probably have the biggest jump in tech. Well, hopefully. :)

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I really prefer my K2... you can see my list of reasons why at http://www.kboards.com/blog/2009/04/buyers-tip-kindle-2-vs-used-kindle-1/ so I won't rehash it all here. It definitely seems to be a matter of preference though. Some people swear by the scroll wheel and I really hated it >< There's definitely still merit in buying a K1, and seeing as you can get them used on Craig's List for as little as $125 there's definitely advantages. Both read books which is what they're built to do, and as much as I dislike the scrollwheel and the lack of being able to move left and right across the page or easily access definitions of words, I would use the K1 before any other ereader out there.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have both the Klassic Kindle and the Kindle2.  I much prefer reading on my K2 - it's just better organized than the original.  Nothing against the original, and if it were my only Kindle I'd be perfectly happy with it.

However, if I were going to purchase a new one, I'd go with the Kindle2, if for no other reason than you get a full warranty.  Unless you can find a really good bargain on a K1, I don't think a $60 savings is enough to give up the warranty on a new one.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have been reading with a K1, bought new a year ago and have no complaints.  I have had to reset the unit only twice, and the first battery lasted almost a whole year, and I see no reason to spend money for a K2 when my K1 does just fine.  I bought another K1, used, for my mother.  i just don't see how the K2 is much better than the K1, however, that is just my opinion...  no SD card, no user battery replacement...  My Mom is 90 years old, but sees and hears pretty darn well!  LOLOL  she just loves her K1, named Lisa, after the lady who sold her to us...  after I showed her how easy it was to just read with it...  She is on my account and I have downloaded many of my books to Lisa, and we are both having a lot of fun reading books together.  She didn't want it at first, but when I told her that she had no choice, it was coming to her, she got excited and is having a good time reading with it now. 
I have had no problem with the K1, and you may be able to get one at a reasonable price...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I have a Kindle 1 and just bought a used backup Kindle 1, instead of going for the Kindle 2.

As some have mentioned, the Kindle 2 has some improvements, but also some drawbacks.
It's a bit flimsier, no external card for storage, and a biggie to me...no user replaceable battery.
I have three batteries, which I rotate in use.  If I need to replace one, it's $19, and I can do it myself.
With the Kindle 2 and Kindle DX, I believe a battery replacement is about $79 plus the postage and inconvenience of not having your Kindle for several days (or weeks).

Just my thoughts...I'm sure you will get lots of alternative opinions.  Good luck.

Bruce

·
Registered
314 Posts
JetJammer said:
However, if I were going to purchase a new one, I'd go with the Kindle2, if for no other reason than you get a full warranty. Unless you can find a really good bargain on a K1, I don't think a $60 savings is enough to give up the warranty on a new one.
Wow, Amazon doesn't offer a warranty with a refurbished unit? (Allusion mentioned noticing that s/he could buy "a refurb of the K1 for $60 less than the K2," remember, not just a used Kindle from someone on craigslist or whatnot.) If true, that really surprises me; I thought offering a one-year warranty was standard in the case of factory-refurbished merchandise. Everything Apple sells refurbished, for example, is covered by the same warranty as a brand-new item -- effectively proving to the customer that their refurbished products are "good as new." Amazon doesn't do the same?

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Honestly, it's a judgement call on your part.  I have both of them and there are things that I like about each.  But see if you can find someone near you who has a K2 so you can make a good comparison.
I's also check into the warranty issue.  I thought the Amazon refurbs came with a warranty.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
If it is truly an Amazon refurbished unit, it does have the warranty.  If, however, it is a used one from someone else, it does not (unless their warranty has some time left on it, I think).

I am not aware that Amazon has been selling refurbished units, though.  I think you can only find them used.  My guess is that Amazon is keeping any refurbished ones as replacements for those under warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I own a K2 and a friend of mine has the K1.  After trying each others out for a little while, I prefer my K2 and she prefers her K1.  I think most of the answers you will get are from people who are used to one or the other.

Why I prefer the K2:  slimmer design fits nicely into whatever bag I am using, without adding huge bulk and weight.  With the font hack installed, I love the text readability and prefer over K1.  SD cards:  I wasn't happy when I first found out I wouldn't have a slot, but I've found since then I prefer the new set up.  I don't want to worry about losing memory cards, I much prefer to archive my books and pull them on my Kindle any time I want them, and when done, just remove from the device back to the Amazon account archive.  I much prefer the button layout and the joystick on the K2, but I think that's a personal preference not something that will be true for everyone.  K2 doesn't have battery issues and require replacements every year or so at your cost.  Some people don't like not having control over the battery, however as a long time owner of many electronic devices that charge up the same way, I've never had a problem yet with them and love the way the K2 holds a charge forever on a few hours of charge.

Also, you'll find suppliers are more geard to coming out with new skins, covers, bags, and other accessories to the K2.  K2 is also getting updates frequenty, I'm not sure when the last time K1 got an update... not sure if this is a plus or minus though!

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I have used the K2 very briefly, when I was teaching my soon to be MIL how to use hers. I did not like the five way remote. I much prefer the scroll wheel. I like having the external memory. I have every intention of placing my books onto a SD card before going to Australia so I can download what I want, when I want it and not have to worry about finding a computer to make the transfer. I like having a removable battery. I am bringing two batteries with me to Australia, that way I have a back up and hopefully won't have to worry about recharging my Kindle.

I love my K1. I see no reason to get a K2. I don't consider it an upgrade, the two are too similar. The 16 grey scale is nice but most of my books don't have pictures so I could really care less.

If I were to upgrade, it would probably be to the DX and then only if it came with folders or something like that. I would use my K1 for travel and the DX at home.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Read the screen fading thread. Some people have returned multiple K2s for what is being called sun fade of the text.  I'd go with a K1 if there is any chance you want to take the kindle in the sun. At least until they find and fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Rasputina said:
Read the screen fading thread. Some people have returned multiple K2s for what is being called sun fade of the text. I'd go with a K1 if there is any chance you want to take the kindle in the sun. At least until they find and fix the problem.
Keep in mind that some K1s had the same issue. Granted, it didn't seem to be as many, but it is a risk no matter which way you go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a Kindle 1 and sold it to "up-grade" to a Kindle 2.  There are difinitely differences between the two Kindles but for me it boils down to the following:

With the Kindle 2 I like the fact that you don't have to take the kindle out of the cover to turn on the whispernet and there is no accidental page turns.  I also like the sleek style.  For me the "text to speech " is rather useless because its like a monotone computer reading to you.  As far as the contrast is concerned despite the fact that pictures are suppose to have better resolution ( I can't tell the difference) reading the text in my view ( I know this is controversial) is worse.  I also found the navigation stick and the smaller buttons to type more cumbersome to use than the Kindle 1.

With the Kindle 1 if the accidental page turns are not an issue for you (was not a problem for me because I always used it in a cover) and you don't mind how the whispernet is turned on, then Kindle 1 might be the better choice for you.  As I said above, I believe the contrast is actually better with the Kindle 1 because the fonts are paler and the background  is darker with the Kindle 2, making it harder to read.  The only issue with the Kindle 1 (and it is a big issue) is the warranty.  Need to check this but I believe Squaretrade.com will allow you to buy an extended 3yr warranty on re-furbished kindles (if bought within the last 3 months).  Alternatively you might find a used  Kindle 1 with an existing SquareTrade warranty.  However for me I would not buy a Kindle ( 1 or 2 ) without an extended warranty.

For me ( and I realize others may have a different opinion) after everthing is considered I actually prefer the Kindle 1--mostly because of the contrast issue and the navigation stick of the kindle 2.  I even contacted the person who I bought my Kindle 1 and offerred to trade her my new Kindle 2 if she gave me back my old Kindle 1 (in addition to a little extra money).  She politely refused my offer stating she loves the Kindle 1.  I am happy for her.

Anyway I know this is a difficult decision but I hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. I did some thinking this morning, and read the Kindle 1 v Kindle 2 pro and con that was linked, and ultimately I think I am going to get a K2. It seems like most people were happy with the K2, and if the sun fade issue does happen, Amazon does not seem like they give too hard a time getting it replaced.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, I guess I lied. The more I keep re-reading this thread, the more unsure I am. Seems like a split between "who likes what" but it seems the few people that have responded that had both seemed to actually prefer the K1.

I like the size/form factor of the K2, but the concern I'm having is the idea of readability- seems like doing some lurking on the forum, that the contrast can be a huge issue on the K2 making it uncomfortable to read for longer time frames, which kinda bothers me. I personally would rather *not* have to jump through hoops of doing swap after swap with Amazon to get a perfect unit (and if I'm spending 300+ on an item, I'm going to want it to be perfect!). These may have been isolated incidents, but it still leaves me a bit wary.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I've been one of the unlucky ones, but really you shouldn't worry about anything, MOST people get kindles with beautiful contrast that are easily read; I even had one, myself. All things considered you should have nothing to worry about in getting yourself a KIndle 2.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts