Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious about the pros and especially any cons about archiving on Kindle?  Do any of you think there is any reason NOT to delete your books on Kindle?

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Not really as Amazon is unlikely to go out of business.  Though the Kindle has a lot of storage space so there's really no need to delete books as you're unlikely to fill it up.  You can just put your read books in a "Read" collection if you don't want clutter on the home screen.  Or whatever type of collection system you want to use.

That said, if you want peace of mind you can easily hook up the Kindle to your PC and back up the folder full of books on your computer.  They can only be put back on the exact same Kindle though--barring removing DRM (which can't be discussed here) as the DRM is tied to device rather than account.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I make backups, just to make backups (I have a pair of noids that keep telling me to do it). The backups I have of ebooks from my K1 won't work on my K3, so I really don't have a need to keep them anymore. I've always made backups of data, so I will probably do the same thing with the K3, even though I'm pretty confident that they will still be available through Amazon.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks...so...let me see if I get this PC thing.  If my books are on my PC (which they are) and I delete them off my kindle, they are still on the PC and can be read there if I want?

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you use the Kindle for PC app to download the ebooks, they will be on your PC and readable on the PC.

If you copy the ebooks from your Kindle via USB, they will be stored on your PC, but still only readable on your Kindle. You would have to copy them back to your Kindle to read them.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
Yeah, you can't read them on the PC--not even in the Kindle for PC app--as the DRM is tied to the specific device/app.

It's just a back up that could be copied back to that exact, same Kindle at a later date if need.

If you want them in the Kindle for PC app, or a new Kindle down the road etc., you'll have to go in the app (or new device) and download them through the archive.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I really wish Amazon would DRM to the account rather than to the device.  That way you could make a backup of your books and not have to worry about making new backups every time you get a new device.  As long as the device was registered to your account the book would load onto it.

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
I am not worried about Amazon going out of business, or their cloud exploding in a puff of smoke, or anything of that sort.  So I don't bother with a local back up.

When I buy a new book I send it to my Kindle and sort it.  When I've read it, I delete it -- noting in 'my collection' how I rated it and when I finished it so I will know that I read it if I get a new kindle and want or need to reload things.

·
Registered
7,185 Posts
If you highlight or annotate your books and did not have Annotation Backup enabled when you made the annotation then there is the possibility that your notes will be lost when you delete the book copy from your Kindle. I backup on my PC for this reason. My new notes are at Amazon but my old ones aren't.

·
Registered
478 Posts
There has been at least one instance where I had to restore factory defaults and it would have saved some time if I'd copied all of the user data at some point prior to that.

But apart from that, there's nothing on my Kindle that I can't easily get another copy of for free, even if I don't back it up myself.

Samples are an exception, since they are not in Archives and so there is nothing to restore from there. But the only practical way to back them up is to back everything up, and I am just too lazy. I could wish list them also, but in fact they are all things I am far from certain that I want to purchase, so it does not quite fit the definition of wish list. Fortunately even if they were lost I could quickly build up another set of Samples to browse through.

·
Super Moderator
67,346 Posts
You make a good point about samples. . . .I thought I read somewhere that when you connect the Kindle via USB and look at it as a drive, it's pretty obvious in the documents folder which files are samples. . .different extension or something.  So maybe you could sort by file type and then just select those files to copy to your computer.  AND, samples have no DRM so you'd be able to re-copy them to a new Kindle and they should still work.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I tend to delete books I don't think I'd want to read again, but keep ones I really enjoyed. That way I remember what author's names to look up next time, or sometimes I use it as a reminder to keep an eye out for a sequel, etc.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
You make a good point about samples. . . .I thought I read somewhere that when you connect the Kindle via USB and look at it as a drive, it's pretty obvious in the documents folder which files are samples. . .different extension or something. So maybe you could sort by file type and then just select those files to copy to your computer. AND, samples have no DRM so you'd be able to re-copy them to a new Kindle and they should still work.
Just to get the answer in the thread in case it's still needed or searched later on:

Samples have not quite a different extension, but a different part in the file name -- any files with EBSP near the end is a sample (versus EBOK, which is a book).

And Ann is correct, you can copy them onto a new Kindle and they'll work fine, no DRM. I've done it several times.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I don't archive anything. At all. Ever. My Kindle is my library.
I am not worried about Amazon going out of business or anything like that, but I find it much easier to have all my books at my fingertips at all times. I have a K3 with 3G and even so, there are times when I can not get a connection. I'm also an impatient person so the time it takes my K3 to connect and to download a book from the archive would drive me crazy. Having all my books in one place means I don't ever have to have a connection in order to read a book. Also, about half my books are non-Amazon books and I find it a hassle to store them on my computer then side load them onto the K3 when I want to read them. What I read on any given day depends on my mood, so I would be hard pressed to just pick a few books to store on my K3 for immediate reading. By the way, I have 1,068 books in my Kindle library. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts