Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched the boards for any new word on this.  Someone reported a weird chemical smell to the purple Roof of Heaven design.  I have one on pre-order and am getting concerned.  I will not be able to tolerate any odor like that, especially if it doesn't dissipate.  Has anyone asked Oberon about this?  I don't wan't to bug them if someone has already asked.  ???

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I'm waiting to hear too.  My saddle journal is fine and I don't want my purple butterfly to stink!  Anyone have the problem with other purple covers?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I believe it was Lindnet who was having the problem. I think she said they told her it would go away, but if it didn't, they'd replace the cover.

L

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Leslie said:
I believe it was Lindnet who was having the problem. I think she said they told her it would go away, but if it didn't, they'd replace the cover.

L
Thanks. Good to know. Not quite so worried now. I've heard their customer service is great.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I think I was a part of the original conversation and it was not a color purple issue.
But in any case the odor did go way quite quickly.

I think it is in the dye or tanning process of the leather or maybe in the gluing.

If you get it delivered fast after manufacture then the odor might be stronger.
If it takes a couple more days to get to you I think it will be much less so...

But it did go away on my Saddle Maple journal.

FWIW,
Eric

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hi, yes it was me who was asking about it recently.  I got my cover on Thursday.  So far, it still stinks.  I did write to Oberon, and they said it was possible that the dye they use on the edges was what I was smelling.  And they thought maybe I was really sensitive to odors.  But it's NOT just on the edges, and other people smell it as well.  I'll see how it goes, but I may have to have them replace it.  I really love the smell of leather and this cover has a very unpleasant odor to it.

They said they would either take it back or replace it, if it was still noticeable after a week or so.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ELDogStar said:
I think I was a part of the original conversation and it was not a color purple issue.
But in any case the odor did go way quite quickly.

I think it is in the dye or tanning process of the leather or maybe in the gluing.

If you get it delivered fast after manufacture then the odor might be stronger.
If it takes a couple more days to get to you I think it will be much less so...

But it did go away on my Saddle Maple journal.

FWIW,
Eric
Eric, do you remember how long it took to go away? And does yours just smell like leather now?

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lindnet said:
Hi, yes it was me who was asking about it recently. I got my cover on Thursday. So far, it still stinks. I did write to Oberon, and they said it was possible that the dye they use on the edges was what I was smelling. And they thought maybe I was really sensitive to odors. But it's NOT just on the edges, and other people smell it as well. I'll see how it goes, but I may have to have them replace it. I really love the smell of leather and this cover has a very unpleasant odor to it.

They said they would either take it back or replace it, if it was still noticeable after a week or so.
Good to know they will take care of it. If others in the room wth you smell it it can't just be that you are sensitive to it. It would upset me if my cover didn't have the pleasant leather smell I'm expecting.

·
Registered
723 Posts
lindnet said:
Eric, do you remember how long it took to go away? And does yours just smell like leather now?
A few days. I don't remember exactly but it was way less than a week.
I did put it near an open window, in a closed room (it is winter), like I was cooling a pie.
Yes it smells like leather now. (I just buried my nose in it.)

Eric

·
Registered
790 Posts
Thanks, I'll try the open window thing.

LOL, and thanks for burying your nose in your cover for the sake of research!

DD, I'm with you, I want this thing to smell like leather!!  Not chemicals.

·
Registered
368 Posts
kari said:
I'm waiting to hear too. My saddle journal is fine and I don't want my purple butterfly to stink! Anyone have the problem with other purple covers?

I have the purple butterfly and it does not stink. It does have a leather smell...it is leather. If you don't like the smell of leather Oberon probably is not for you. Of course even the leather smell is less after you have it for a while and it gets "aired out".

·
Registered
790 Posts
It just seems weird that mine (and Eric's) had the smell and others don't.  It makes me wonder if some of the people making the covers wipe them down with something different that the others do?  Is my nose (and most of the people at work's) that sensitive?

I have it by my open bathroom window now.  And I'll leave it in there when I shower, sometimes that takes the odor out of stuff. 

·
Registered
455 Posts
Maybe your's was just shipped to you faster after the leather was dyed than others? I have World Tree for my K1 and it only ever has smelled like leather.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My purchases from Oberon have to come across the country and take a week so maybe they have more time to air out! 

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I am super sensitive to smells and my cover didn't have an odor. I would try airing it out and see, but if it doesn't quit I would return it. Oberon seems to have wonderful customer service.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Kathy said:
I am super sensitive to smells and my cover didn't have an odor. I would try airing it out and see, but if it doesn't quit I would return it. Oberon seems to have wonderful customer service.
I am also in California. If I stick my nose almost directly on the cover I smell a very slight chemical odor. I am very sensitive to smells, and smells can sometimes trigger a migraine, but have had no problems with my Oberon Designs cover. I have the cover in Fern.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I got my purple roof of heaven k1 cover on Friday, and didn't notice a smell.  But I'm way over in GA, so maybe the travel time helped.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
MonaSW said:
I am also in California. If I stick my nose almost directly on the cover I smell a very slight chemical odor. I am very sensitive to smells, and smells can sometimes trigger a migraine, but have had no problems with my Oberon Designs cover. I have the cover in Fern.
Mine is also Fern also. I wonder if the purple dye has a stronger odor. Smells trigger my asthma and migraines.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts