Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading numerous threads about Happy Oberon owners.....I began to wonder if anyone ever bought a Oberon Kindle cover and NOT like it.  ??? (I'm sure there must be a few..)
If so, Why didn't u like it?? And what did u end up doing with it (being they don't accept returns)? Selling here on the K boards? <<which I've heard members do.

Oh...and for those that didn't like the Oberon K cover....What kindle cover did you end up buying & liking? Why did you like it (the cover u ended up with) more than the Oberon?

Sorry for all the ?'s just curious if there is anyone that didn't like the Oberon cuz I know everyone loves them sooooo!! They are soooo beautiful!! So pretty! (don't have one..) But just kinda interested to see if anyone didn't like them for whatever reason.

Thx all!!  ;)

·
Registered
723 Posts
My ONLY constructive criticism about the Oberon covers, journals and it seems all their products.
Is that the edges are hard right angles and hence rather "sharp".

There is not bevel, even a very modest bevel makes for a much nicer edge to hold onto and carry etc... I do some leather work (no products like journals or covers) and everything gets the edges beveled.

Other than that I do like the products very much.

I have a Journal, checkbook cover, biz card golder, and a K2 cover with corners waiting for me at my mailbox location (I will pick "her" up tomorrow).

FWIW,
Eric

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I believe that the edges can be beveled with some fine grit sandpaper....My husband does some leatherwork as well and this would fix the edge.

I have had 2 Oberons and neither had sharp edges.  I sold my Tree of Life in saddle because I wasn't swtching back and forth like I thought I would once I got my dragonfly pond in fern.  (bother had straps)  I sold it to a friend who will love it like I did!

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
The only thing I didn't like was the Kindle 1 right hand side button was working as well as it should as that edge wasn't raised enough. I fixed that by adding another layer of Velcro to the black plastic stiffener and slid it back in. Made it perfect. I did the same thing to my boyfriend's cover before he got it.

·
Registered
860 Posts
I have liked mine okay.  If I could have returned it, I would have.  What's funny is Oberon sent me two on accident.  They sent  me a shipping label to return the extra one and didn't even say thanks or anything when I sent it back.  Not that I ever would have, but I could have sold it on ebay or here and they never would have known.

I don't hate it, but don't love it either.  Yes, the edges are a little sharp, the cover doesn't fold back as well as I'd like, the "previous page" button turns everytime I fold back the cover (I have a K1), and it's too large for my small hands.  Functionality stinks, basically.

But it sure is pretty. 

·
Registered
288 Posts
I like my cover, but probably won't buy another one.  I might go with a M Edge next time.  I'm kind of locked into a certain theme or color scheme with the Oberon... I think I'd have more versatility with another cover.  I'm considering selling mine, actually.

Also, I don't get why everyone raves about Oberon customer service.  I have had two distinct negative interactions with them, and something else which just plain bugged me.  Go figure.  Maybe it's me?  :'(

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought the Tree of Life cover for my Kindle 2, and absolute love it! I also would lobe to have the Roof of Heaven in purple, but don't think I would change Kindle covers... just not my style. I did contact Oberon and asked for a large journal, ROH, but do not like the leather thong. I DO like the bungee (with charm attached for ease of opening) on my Kindle cover. My request was the bungee substitution for the ROH on a journal. Their response was that it would not be possible. So my curiosity is piqued. If they are indeed custom covers, as they say, why could they not merely punch two holes for the bungee rather than one hole for the thong? I realize I could modify after receipt, but the one hole they would punch would be in the wrong place, so I would have to punch (some way) two holes for the bungee and put up with a third hole (the original hole punched for the thong). I guess I am too picky, but am also confused. If they are indeed custom, why can I not get it the way I want? To date I have not ordered a journal... still want one, but don't want to compromise.

This should not be a surprise, as I believe anybody who sees the value of Oberon quality and craftsmanship would also be a bit picky about their personal preferences, too. Am I being unreasonable?

·
Registered
921 Posts
docjered said:
I bought the Tree of Life cover for my Kindle 2, and absolute love it! I also would lobe to have the Roof of Heaven in purple, but don't think I would change Kindle covers... just not my style. I did contact Oberon and asked for a large journal, ROH, but do not like the leather thong. I DO like the bungee (with charm attached for ease of opening) on my Kindle cover. My request was the bungee substitution for the ROH on a journal. Their response was that it would not be possible. So my curiosity is piqued. If they are indeed custom covers, as they say, why could they not merely punch two holes for the bungee rather than one hole for the thong? I realize I could modify after receipt, but the one hole they would punch would be in the wrong place, so I would have to punch (some way) two holes for the bungee and put up with a third hole (the original hole punched for the thong). I guess I am too picky, but am also confused. If they are indeed custom, why can I not get it the way I want? To date I have not ordered a journal... still want one, but don't want to compromise.

This should not be a surprise, as I believe anybody who sees the value of Oberon quality and craftsmanship would also be a bit picky about their personal preferences, too. Am I being unreasonable?
After getting the idea from someone here on the boards, I put an elastic hair bungee in my journal. It works pretty well. I got annoyed with that leather strap after a while.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I didn't buy one as I was able to check out some of the Oberon organizers at my local fine leather goods store. I loved the craftsmanship but wanted a softer leather/feel for my Kindle...and from a functional standpoint, I thought there were better options for less money.

I originally bought an M-Edge Executive Cover for the light. But I had problems with the light and didn't like wider spine given the light was not useful to me. So I returned them both.

I heard M-Edge was fixing the light issues and while awaiting the new release saw a used M-Edge cover for sale here and grabbed it. Surprisingly, the spine seems to be less noticeable (perhaps because of its used condition). So I am now anxiously awaiting the May 26th order date for the new light.

That being said, I have been contemplating buying the Oberon large organizer (for work) but given the price, decided to wait as my current planner is still in good shape...that was until I found a new one on ebay for half off! If I really love it, perhaps I'll splurge and get one in the color/style I really want in another 2 years.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
I have a purple RoH for K2 and I love it so far. I can see if other people have had negative experiences though and alot of controversy is going on lately with the "custom order" thing. I can completely see both sides on that.
My experience has been good so far but that doesn't mean I can't see how someone else isn't quite as thrilled with Oberon.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have the Butterfly cover for my K1.  I called Oberon before I ordered it and asked if Three Graces was going to be available.  I was told no.  Before I even received my Butterfly cover Oberon posted Three Graces.  I called and explained that I had asked about it and was told no exchange.  As I have said before I think their customer service is very inconsistent.  They bend over backwards for some and brush others off.  The quality of my cover is nice.  I did not like the wool felt and covered it.  My husband ordered Tree of Life for his K2 and is pleased.  I would order the Three Graces but, I would never change them back and forth so it would be a waste of money.  I don't think I will personally order from them again because I do not feel I was not treated as a valuable customer.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx everyone for all your input on the Oberon covers!! Very interesting hearing all the different reasons, etc.

So seems the edges being somewhat rough is an issue. What about being able to bend the cover "completely" back --flat...? Do you find "in time" the cover gives enough to be able to be bent back or is the leather just too thick unable to give..What about the weight or bulkiness of the covers? I've read some say that the weight isn't a issue...seems it would be a bit heavy being the leather (from pics I've seen) seems to look a bit thick...Hmm.. ???

Thx again! ;)

(ps. If you're wondering...All the ?'s--Well, in case I were to buy a Oberon down the road....not now though. Just trying to learn more about them I guess). ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
JUNEBUG5 said:
Thx everyone for all your input on the Oberon covers!! Very interesting hearing all the different reasons, etc.

So seems the edges being somewhat rough is an issue. What about being able to bend the cover "completely" back --flat...? Do you find "in time" the cover gives enough to be able to be bent back or is the leather just too thick unable to give..What about the weight or bulkiness of the covers? I've read some say that the weight isn't a issue...seems it would be a bit heavy being the leather (from pics I've seen) seems to look a bit thick...Hmm.. ???

Thx again! ;)

(ps. If you're wondering...All the ?'s--Well, in case I were to buy a Oberon down the road....not now though. Just trying to learn more about them I guess). ;)
I have a red Sky Dragon cover. It was a couple of months old when I bought it and my Klassic Kindle from a board member. While in my possesion, the cover has always been very easy to fold back. Yes, it is somewhat heavier than most of the other covers, but only a few ounces. It and the Kindle still weigh less than most hardbacks and some paperbacks. As to the sharp edges, I have not found them to be uncomfortable in the least. The K2 covers would be slightly bigger and therefore slightly heavier as well. Hope this information helps.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
intinst said:
I have a red Sky Dragon cover. It was a couple of months old when I bought it and my Klassic Kindle from a board member. While in my possesion, the cover has always been very easy to fold back. Yes, it is somewhat heavier than most of the other covers, but only a few ounces. It and the Kindle still weigh less than most hardbacks and some paperbacks. As to the sharp edges, I have not found them to be uncomfortable in the least. The K2 covers would be slightly bigger and therefore slightly heavier as well. Hope this information helps.
I have the same one as intinst...originally it didn't fold as flat as it does now. The leather has softened up a little bit and the edges were never sharp but you could "feel" them. I've had mine since November and they've also "softened" up but they were never sharp to the point where it would aggrivate my hands or fingers.

I believe they weigh about 2 ounces more for the KK cover.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I have the purple butterfly for the K2 and it has folded back just fine from the very first day. That's how I read with it on. I fold the front cover behind the back cover. I also don't find the edges to be sharp though aesthetically I think beveling the edge would indeed be a good idea.

EllenR

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I have the Fern Forest for K2, and it also folds back completely since day one (for one-handed reading), even though it is a wraparound design. So no worries on that front  ;D.

1 - 20 of 128 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.