Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing the "Any other "old" e-reader people out here?" I felt like I had to do computer people.

I started with a TRS 80 went on to:
Commodore Vic 20
Commodore 64
Commodore SX64
Commodore Amiga
Acer PC
Dell PC
HP Laptop
Toshiba Laptop (2)
I also hand built 4 different PCs over the years

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I still have a complete C64 with tape drive, floppy disk, and monitor in storage, don't know why, I'll never use it again, I have a wrist watch that probably has more computing power.

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
The first computer I bought had 256k of memory and I thought it was a lot. Everything had to be stored on floppy disks. Worked on older models, but that was my first buy. It actually had Windows, the first version on it. I was working for EDS and was assigned to the Enron account in Houston. They were moving from the DOS world to windows. I had to teach 5000 people how to use Windows and most didn't want to learn. The mouse was the hardest thing for the secretaries get use to. They didn't want to give up their electric typewriters. There was one secretary who was 2 years from retiring and she was not happy using computers. She was in the class and kept telling me that her mouse wasn't working. I walked to the back of the class and I couldn't find her mouse. I looked down and she had it on the floor, trying to use it like you do with a sewing machine. Needless to say, it was downhill from there. :)

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My first computer was an Atari 800 I got for Christmas... I think I was 14 at the time. I didn't get another until my Mac Classic II, which would have been around 1990. From there I have owned several other Macs, and a few PCs.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
How about an old Tandy TL2? I think it had the first 20MB hard drive. ;) It still had DeskMate instead of Windows.

·
Registered
921 Posts
My first one was while I was in Grad School.  It was a Packard Bell with 25MB hard drive.  I think I had Word Perfect for Windows V 2.0 on it.  No internet connection.  I have had 8 computers and laptops since then.

·
Registered
10,391 Posts
Computers I've owned:
  • TRS-80 with 4k RAM*
  • Atari 1200 XL @ 64k RAM (eventually added an external 5-1/4" 360k floppy drive and thought I was in heaven)
  • no-name PC clone running MSDOS with two 5-1/4" floppy drives, probably about 256k RAM, eventually replaced one of the floppies with a Seagate hard disk with an amazing 30MB of capapcity: how could you ever need more storage than that?!
  • As assorted history of desktop PC's and OS's ensued, each going through evolutions of updated CPUs, peripherals, storage devices, etc.
  • My first notebook computer was from Commodore - don't remember model, but it was IBM/PC compatible running Windows (probably 3.1)
  • I've gone through a number of notebooks (though not as many as desktops) and am now using a DELL Inspiron 1501 with 2GB RAM.**

The first computer I had any real contact with outside of a few games of Star Trek in college was a Honeywell DPS-8/70 with 2 CPU's running the Multics operating system. Note that each "CPU" was roughly the size of a tall refrigerator, and each disk drive about that of a small washing machine. This was at the Software Development Facility for the Enhanced Naval Warfare Gaming System in Moorestown NJ (for the US Navy).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I can hardly remember all of them. We started with an Osborne 1, then an Osborne Executive, then a Zenith. Then we marched through the processors: Intel 286, 386, 486. A Toshiba laptop was next, I think. Then a variety of laptops for home use and different desktops at work. My workhorse at the office is a Dell. My current laptop is a Sony. Name a brand, we've probably owned it at one time or another.

L

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Our first computer (1986 or so) was an IBM clone 80286.  Top of the line.  Two -- count 'em TWO 5 " disk drives and a 20MB Hard drive on an installed card.  Fancy.  I think on board memory was something like 256 K.   That actually lasted us quite a long time.  We upgraded here and there -- DH likes to build them from parts -- and at one point had a Pentium processor computer in a box that said 80286.  We called it the stealth computer.

Our first 'on line' experience was when we lived in England and singed up with CompuServe.  My dad had gotten an America On Line account so having an e-mail address kept the telephone cost down.  That was in 1994 or so.

Ann

·
Registered
530 Posts
tecwritr said:
After seeing the "Any other "old" e-reader people out here?" I felt like I had to do computer people.

I started with a TRS 80 went on to:
Commodore Vic 20
Commodore 64
Commodore SX64
Commodore Amiga
Acer PC
Dell PC
HP Laptop
Toshiba Laptop (2)
I also hand built 4 different PCs over the years
Too Funny! That is almost exactly what my progression has been except I have gone through about 7 computers in the last 3 years between work and home.

·
Registered
392 Posts
My first computer was an Atari 800xl - I dearly loved that little machine. with its 300 baud modem, single sided single density 5 1/4 disk drive. <sigh>

I worked at a computer store then and we worked with: Kaypro, Epson QX-10, Zenith, H-P, and Columbia (IBM clone) Those were the days.

I later got a used Epson QX-10. That was a beautiful cpm machine.

My first Pc was a Zeos custom built 386 machine.

·
Registered
234 Posts
The lovely Tandy 1000 RL...at the time, I thought it was awesome!  Mono. screen, Deskmate and Dot Matrix printer!  Used it to post on local Bulletin Boards with the "screaming fast" modem and do college homework.  Was in my 20's at the time and fell in love with computing so I took DOS and Lotus classes to learn more as I was working full time in Banking.  LOL! 

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
While I try very hard to think about the very first "home" computer, some items are:
I have programmed on things like the IBM 609 calculator, some old tube memory (don't ask) "computers". but.....
I still have an 8bit Northstar Advantage - ran both NorthStar Dos and CPM.
Also have a working Osborne 1 - 8bit with only a small screen - have to scroll just to ready 80 chars.
Have a TRS 100 one of the early "laptops".
Did own an early compaq portable - 30 pounds and only 10meg harddrive.
Also had the original IBM portable - just like the compaq.
And as I build machines for special purposes, it just goes downhill from there.  Have a lot of old equipment in boxes in the workroom.
I prefer however to just buy a good system from HP these days.
Just sayin....

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I used an "old" computer at work - wanted a trash 90 but couldn't afford it.  I'm so old I don't even remember the name of my first very own computer, but I do remember thinking I had enough memory for ever!  I think it was one that I had "built" for me!  Also remember using the first Apple at work - but all the engineers hogged that so I didn't get on it all that often.  Did have a word processor - wow was that ever nice! 

·
Registered
904 Posts
I started with:
Atari 400
Atari 800 with 5 1/4" Floppy drive
Epson Equity PC, I upgraded to a 20 MB Hard Drive (WOW)..
I then had several Gateway Computers and several Dell Computers, the next one will be built by my computer Geek daughter...
jp

·
Registered
116 Posts
First systems for me were as follows:

Sinclair
Apple IIe
Apple Macintosh 512K (with upgrades along the way including memory and external HDD.)
Apple IIgs

- Walter.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My first computer was a Commodore 64.  Next computer I built with my cousin...cost me the low cost of $1,500.00...it was amazing...I connected to the internet in 7 minutes...LOL!!!  Back then that seemed awesome. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This will scare hell out of some of you.  When I worked on the space shuttle external tank program I knew engineers who were running design computations on Commodore 64's

1 - 20 of 34 Posts