Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've used e-readers since the Rocketbook. I've had ebookman (my only regret), and the Sony 505, 700, Kindle 1 and Kindle 2. Is there anyone else on the board who remembers the good old days ? Remember...when we paid $499 for the Rocketbook, in the mid to late 90's, and plugged it into the phone jack and it called the bookstore over a built in modem. The bookstore bragged 500 books, and the device held 50. I found mine in the bottom of a drawer yesterday, dusted it off, plugged in the charger. The rechargeable battery still took a charge yesterday! I pulled up my books, and read parts of Anne Rice's The witching Hour, which isn't available on Kindle or Sony. Just for kicks I plugged it into the phone jack. The modem dialed. I got a "that number is no longer available". Bummer. Anyone else remember the days when we carried our bulky readers up the hill both ways in the snow to read ;) ?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Before my Kindle, I used the e-reader application on all my Palms. I have had a Palm since the Palm III.  I have read 100's of books on my Palm Pilots and loved it. So the Kindle was a life changing experience for me when I got it. I love reading electronically and just don't enjoy reading the DTV's anymore.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
As a general rule I'm not an electronic gadget person, I love technology, just not gadgets.  I've never owned a mp3/ipod player or even a Sony walkman when they came out god only knows how long ago.  I got my 1st cell phone 2 years ago only because my daughter was going to college and she really did need one by then and I could add extra phones for $10/month.  I still don't use it but once or twice a month and don't know how to text yet.

I ordered the K2 on impulse against my better judgment.  I have become enamored with the thing so much so I have already pre-ordered a DX.

So as far as being an "old" e-reader person, no, I'm just a newbie, but  I am curious about the things.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Before my Kindle, the closest I had to an e-reader was my Compaq iPAQ 3635. I read a couple of books on it but didn't enjoy it and it really drained the battery. I did like having several bible translations on it and still like to use it on occasion because it is so easy to look up reference and passages. I much prefer reading books on the Kindle.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Before Kindle I also used e-reader on Palm's.
Also did some messing with various different e-book readers on my laptop.

Red,
Here's a link to a RocketBook fan site -- http://www.geocities.com/mjposner2000/
Supposedly it has info in the Misc Section on creating books for the RocketBooks

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Gaah!  When I was in middle school, they, uh, had books. . .yeah.  . .and, uh,. . . . .oh!  newspapers and magazines!  Yeah!  And the card catalog was. . . well,  a card catalog. . . .  There might have been microfiche. . . . . .

And for adding, we had a pencil and pad of paper. . . .bet you had calculators, huh?  :D

Ann

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tip10 said:
Red,
Here's a link to a RocketBook fan site -- http://www.geocities.com/mjposner2000/
Supposedly it has info in the Misc Section on creating books for the RocketBooks
Thanks, ahhh yes, the memories. $499 in 1998'ish money. It holds 50 Books :D ! Guess I won't complain about the price of Kindle DX. I've tossed more money at less worthy :eek: . But the rocketbook is a fun little reader, I've been playing with it today. I am still surprised the battery took the charge, yesterday, and has maintained it. My second graders use the ancient pencil/paper/eraser tools. But, they aren't impressed.
Ann, I will admit to microfiche, reluctantly ;)

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
I started reading ebooks in the mid-90s with my Newton Messagepad. Nice big screen, but it was an early generation of LCD screens and not all that easy to read. I still have the last one I bought, and it still works just fine.

Mike

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Gaah! When I was in middle school, they, uh, had books. . .yeah. . .and, uh,. . . . .oh! newspapers and magazines! Yeah! And the card catalog was. . . well, a card catalog. . . . There might have been microfiche. . . . . .

And for adding, we had a pencil and pad of paper. . . .bet you had calculators, huh? :D

Ann
lol.

·
Registered
597 Posts
My DH bought me a Gemstar in 2002 because he was sick and tired of having to lift my luggage with the 8+ books that always went with me on vacations. I promptly fell in love with e-readers and was brokenhearted when Gemstar went out of business in 2003. However, I purchased about 40 books just before they closed up shop and figured that if I only used it on vacations, that would last me a few years until someone came out with another reader. Just as I was down to my last 5 books in 2006, I discovered that Gemstar had been resurrected by e-bookwise and that I could start buying books again. By then the Sony reader had been announced, but I hate Sony, so I figured I'd wait until my trusty Gemstar gave up the ghost before buying a new reader. In 2008, even though the Gemstar was still limping along, a friend gave me a Kindle and that was that. Haven't plugged the Gemstar in for awhile but I'm pretty sure it still works although the battery was getting pretty wonky.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I'm not an old e-reader person myself. I remember someone, vaguely, who had a Rocket book, I think, but he never said much about it. I think the Kindle did a world of good for the e-reader community.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I had and adored my eBookwise reader which was basically the RocketBook reader. It did mostly stay at home though. I bought it just before a trip and was hooked.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Well, I'm kinda old and I'm an e-reader person, does that work?  ;D

I started reading on my Palm T/X about 3 years ago, and enjoyed it and still like a couple features that aren't on the Kindle.  On the other hand I like a whole lot of features of the Kindle that aren't on the T/X...

Betsy

·
Registered
7,212 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Well, I'm kinda old and I'm an e-reader person, does that work? ;D

I started reading on my Palm T/X about 3 years ago, and enjoyed it and still like a couple features that aren't on the Kindle. On the other hand I like a whole lot of features of the Kindle that aren't on the T/X...

Betsy
I am also "kinda old and I'm an e-reader person" who reads on a Palm T/X. Would those additional features be categories (tags), security, color, backlight (set low for battery life), autoscrolling with adjustable speed, touch screen, ability to set text orientation, and smaller size?

While I miss the categories (tags) and security settings, I usually prefer the Kindle. I will probably only read on my Palm T/X when it is dark and using a book light is too noticable.

Anna

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
worktolive said:
My DH bought me a Gemstar in 2002 because he was sick and tired of having to lift my luggage with the 8+ books that always went with me on vacations. I promptly fell in love with e-readers and was brokenhearted when Gemstar went out of business in 2003. However, I purchased about 40 books just before they closed up shop and figured that if I only used it on vacations, that would last me a few years until someone came out with another reader. Just as I was down to my last 5 books in 2006, I discovered that Gemstar had been resurrected by e-bookwise and that I could start buying books again. By then the Sony reader had been announced, but I hate Sony, so I figured I'd wait until my trusty Gemstar gave up the ghost before buying a new reader. In 2008, even though the Gemstar was still limping along, a friend gave me a Kindle and that was that. Haven't plugged the Gemstar in for awhile but I'm pretty sure it still works although the battery was getting pretty wonky.
Yep, I had one...still do. I didn't realize that there was material available to buy after Gemstar shut down. I'll admit though, it's nice not to have to plug in and dial up on a way too short phone cord :p

·
Registered
201 Posts
Several years ago, late one night I turned on QVC and they were hawking an RCA reader.  I thought it was the neatest thing I'd ever seen and had to have it.  I read some books on it, but then it went out of business, I think, don't know if it was the same as gemstar or not.  I still have it in a drawer and charged it up not too long ago, and it still works.  But, since I have my KK, it went back to sleep in the drawer.

Kathy

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
Annalog said:
I am also "kinda old and I'm an e-reader person" who reads on a Palm T/X. Would those additional features be categories (tags), security, color, backlight (set low for battery life), autoscrolling with adjustable speed, touch screen, ability to set text orientation, and smaller size?

While I miss the categories (tags) and security settings, I usually prefer the Kindle. I will probably only read on my Palm T/X when it is dark and using a book light is too noticable.

Anna
I never used the categories...but I do miss the backlight in certain situations, and I really miss the autoscrolling.

Betsy

·
Registered
21,588 Posts
I must admit that I have never used an "ereader" before.
Have been using computers to read .PDF files for about as long as Adobe has provided it.
Always was happy to cart around a DTB.
But now I am really happy with my K2.
Just want more of the books that I normally read on it.
But also real happy with the new authors I have discovered here.
Jeff, Mike, Boyd, Gertie and you others.  Neat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts