Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any others seen slower performance on Kindle 1 since the 1.2 software update?  I thought it was my imagination at first but I am now sure it's not.  My k1 is slower to wake, to return to home page, to open books etc.  Has anyone else seen this?

Sioux

·
Registered
77 Posts
I haven't noticed any problems. Actually,I like it even better,if that's possible!
Maybe it is just me, but my Whispernet even seems to hook up faster-and I am in a rural area.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Actually, yes. I remember I got the "upgrade" the weekend prior to K2 coming out and it has been slower ever since. It isn't a huge deal to me, but noticeable.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mine is noticeably slower.  It's enough to bug me. 

I do have a lot of stuff on my SD card, but I did before the upgrade too.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
CherylH said:
Mine is noticeably slower. It's enough to bug me.

I do have a lot of stuff on my SD card, but I did before the upgrade too.
Me three.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Try changing your home page sort to "most recent first". If mine is "by title", everything is slow - coming out of sleep, going to the home page, etc. When it is set to Most Recent, it goes back to the old speed.

The biggest problem I now have is that often the Content Manager is completely blank. I have to resort it several times to get it to display anything.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
My home page is always at "most recent first."  The slowdown I'm noticing is when waking MyK up from a nap.  ;D

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
I haven't noticed a problem, but here's a suggestion.  The Kindle is a computer.  Sometimes the computer's brain gets full.  Try doing a soft reset and see if that fixes things.

Ann

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I do have a lot of stuff on my SD card and perhaps that's related as several others here noted the same thing, but i did have most of those things before the upgrade and we're talking seriously slower to wake (3-4 times). I have done a number of soft and hard resets to no avail - it's now way slower since the update. Don't even get me started on what happens if I search now - I might as well run to the store for a few groceries.

I'm curious if this is related to having both a lot of stuff on an SD card (I have over 1500 books on my K1 now between the Kindle and SD card) and the upgraded bios. Those of you who have seen a slowdown - do you have an SD card? And if so do you have say 1000+ things on it?

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
SongbirdVB (but you can call me 641) said:
My home page is always at "most recent first." The slowdown I'm noticing is when waking MyK up from a nap. ;D
Same thing here ;)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Mine reallly REALLY started to slow down yesterday and froze I logged on to the web browser. Since the reset its been running just as quick (or close to) how it did pre-firmware

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Sioux, just a suggestion, but you might try putting a different SD card in for a while that doesn't have as many books on it.  That could be a test to see if the 1,000 plus items might be what's bogging it down.
If you do decide to try that, please let us know the results.
Thanks, deb

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've got over 100 pages of content on mine.  (I may have gone a "little" nuts collecting free and bargain books).

The slowness after the update has really been making me nuts. 

I finally got frustrated enough to try the directions for re-indexing last weekend (posted on Amazon--you hook it up to the computer and delete all the index files).  After a week of chewing up the battery (and still being slow), my Kindle finally seems to be returning to preupdate speed.  It's still slow in the content manager, but at least it wakes up and opens books in a fairly reasonable amount of time.

I did delete a bunch of titles that I'd emailed to Amazon for conversion that I figured I'd never read, so that may have been a factor as well.  I also went through and deleted a few duplicates that I had.  This was done just prior to deleting the index files.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts