Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love rock operas. I don't care if its Tommy or Jesus Christ Superstar or the new Repo: a genetic opera. I love them all.

I am really getting into Repo lately:
http://www.repo-opera.com/flash_home.html

I have the DVD and soundtrack.
WARNING: If you do not like goth/industrial rock music and are squeamish to gore this opera isn't for you.

I cannot say enough great things about Repo. Its Blade Runner, Wagner and NIN combined.

The plot is SciFi. In the future an illness causes organ failure. People died due to not being able to afford transplants. In comes a company called GeneCo. They offer payment plans on organs (and plastic surgery) and invent a high addictive pain med called Zydrate(its a synthetic form of endorphins). People soon become addicted to surgery and Zydrate.

If a person doesn't make their monthly payment to GeneCo they send out a Repo Man. He takes back the organ and in the process kills you.

If you like goth/industrial rock aren't afraid of gore and love elaborate costumes this opera is for you.

Jesus Christ Superstar use to be my favorite rock opera. Not anymore!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bacardi Jim said:
My favorite has to be The Wall.
Woah I forgot about The Wall!
D'oh!!

B

·
0 Posts
chobitz said:
Woah I forgot about The Wall!
D'oh!!
Many don't consider it an "opera" because it has three or four lines of spoken dialogue, but I include it because... I want to. ;)

·
Registered
261 Posts
We saw Tommy in Toronto about 15 years ago, second row center - so close you could see the sweat beads on their foreheads. It was great! My brothers had the JCS soundtrack and played it so much that I think I still know all the words...

chobitz said:
If a person doesn't make their monthly payment to GeneCo they send out a Repo Man. He takes back the organ and in the process kills you.
MR. BROWN:
Listen! I can't give it to you now. It says, 'in the event of death'. Uh. Oh! Ah. Ah. Eh.

MAN:
No one who has ever had their liver taken out by us has survived.

MR. BROWN:
Agh.

ERIC:
Just lie there, sir. It won't take a minute.

MR. BROWN:
[screaming]

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
I really like Everygrey.... They are a grubby looking lot, but their albums are quite good. Fortunately, their albums are available as MP3s from Amazon.... You can click on these to go to the previews, I have all four of these albums....

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
We're going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in March here in Washington, DC.  It's touring again with the original Jesus (the actor not the Son of God).  I couldn't pass up the chance to see Ted Neeley in it.

Betsy

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Betsy the Quilter said:
We're going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in March here in Washington, DC. It's touring again with the original Jesus (the actor not the Son of God). I couldn't pass up the chance to see Ted Neeley in it.

Betsy
Oh Neeley as Jesus sends chills down my spine. I've seen him twice live. Once with the original Judas (I forget the actor's name) and that was really great.

You are in for a treat! Wait till he does Gethsemane, it is awesome.

I wanted to see Sabastian Bach (the ex lead singer of Skid Row) in JCS but his touring group never came close to me.

B

·
0 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
We're going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in March here in Washington, DC. It's touring again with the original Jesus (the actor not the Son of God). I couldn't pass up the chance to see Ted Neeley in it.

Betsy
Ditto. It's coming here too.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bacardi Jim said:
Ditto. It's coming here too.
I am sooo jealous.

BTW this one of my favorite songs on Repo:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Repo the Genetic Opera should be coming in today via Netflix.  I am really hoping I like it, I am starting out without high hopes so I am not disappointed.  I will give it a try, I am really hoping its good... I kinda hope Paris Hilton dies in it (crosses fingers).

·
Registered
569 Posts
I'm definitely not a fan of rock opera's but in between the cover art catching my interest at Walmart, and seeing it mentioned here, I had to check Repo out.

The trailer was interesting/weird but the thing that really sold me was that Anthony Stewart Head was in it. It shipped from Amazon today so I should have it by Friday.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Selcien said:
I'm definitely not a fan of rock opera's but in between the cover art catching my interest at Walmart, and seeing it mentioned here, I had to check Repo out.

The trailer was interesting/weird but the thing that really sold me was that Anthony Stewart Head was in it. It shipped from Amazon today so I should have it by Friday.
He plays the main character, the Repo. He has an awesome solo called Legalized Assassin where he has to basically switch between two personalities which are Nathan ,dad to Shiloh(female lead), and Repo a licensed murderer.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Okay... just got done with Repo.  I liked it, I didn't love it but I did like it.  I really enjoyed the story and maybe about half of the music, but some of the music just sounded a little too jarring for me personally.

Oh but after seeing what happens to Ms. Hilton it was so worth watching (over and over again lol).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
We're going to see Jesus Christ Superstar in March here in Washington, DC. It's touring again with the original Jesus (the actor not the Son of God).
Thanks for clarifying that Betsy. Now I have to see if we have enough industrial solvent to get the iced tea off my screen and keyboard.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Thanks for clarifying that Betsy. Now I have to see if we have enough industrial solvent to get the iced tea off my screen and keyboard.
I can always rely on you to get it, Robin.
;D

Betsy

·
Registered
569 Posts
chobitz said:
He plays the main character, the Repo. He has an awesome solo called Legalized Assassin where he has to basically switch between two personalities which are Nathan ,dad to Shiloh(female lead), and Repo a licensed murderer.
I read this before watching the movie and it made me expect quite a bit, and I have to say that it more than delivered. Legalized Assassin was awesome, no exaggeration, in fact, the entire movie was.

I absolutely loved it and I'm very happy that I found out about this movie and that I watched it. It was a great experience, almost like it was tailor made just for me. It's just so incredible to go from seeing an interesting cover to being blown away by the movie, it makes it feel like an absolute gem to me.

I've actually ordered the soundtrack for it, which, if I'm not mistaken, will be the second time that I've ever gotten a soundtrack, The Crow soundtrack was the first one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts