Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after going through all the proper steps of starting my own self-publishing company and getting my first novel out, I am now forced to pull it down due to hiring a terrible editor who missed dozens upon dozens of simple errors at the tune of 1200$. Sigh, as I'm sure other writers know, I'm just too close to this to successfully edit this myself. I was just wondering if any of you fellow writers who already have books out could recommend me any editors you have personally used. Just send me a message if you know of anyone. I really need a proof editor right now more than anything. Thanks, I would GREATLY appreciate it!

·
Registered
401 Posts
I have been incredibly happy with Red Adept. Her prices are very reasonable and she does a great job of getting to know the author, the author's intent, the author's voice, and..well...she's just very good to work with. My books have improved immeasurably thanks to her.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Wow, J.C., that's awful!  :eek: Did you pay through paypal?  You might be able to challenge the charges if you did.  Did you both agree he was proofreading and not substantive editing?  Yikes, this is what I'm afraid of.  And I don't have $1200 for an editor!  I hope you find someone good and cheap.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  :(

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone for all these great results! I'll look into them all and make my decision :) And Emelia, thanks for your kind words and concern. Yes, it was awful and yes, we agreed on both and I already paid through paypal. I could see all the track changes he made and to me it looked like he was doing a great job. My friends that I had read it aren't grammar pros either so they didn't notice much. What stinks though is that four hundred people downloaded when I did a free download sale and now all of them have a crappy version, ugh!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
Red Adept Editing will do a free sample for you, actually any good editor should. That, and a price quote before getting started.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I would like to recommend Lynn Fund of this forum.  I cannot find her email but if you find the thread for editors, illustrators, etc, you can find her there.  Great job, quick turnaround, good price.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Derek Prior's substantive edit should be under that price, and that's the most comprehensive one.  A few typos happens to even the best editor. However, dozens and dozens sounds really bad. Is it bad form to ask who this is so I can stay away from them in the future?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
While we're on the subject, does anyone know any good editors for children's chapter books? The editing requirements here are quite a bit different than for novels and I'm having trouble finding someone in an affordable range.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Even the best editors are going to miss something. I used my copyeditor at work and she did a good job, but there were still things she missed... she has human eyes after all ;). I would also recommend using Arkali and her Oops Detection service even after having the book edited. I was amazed by how many Oops she found in my latest book! She's reasonably priced, reliable and all-around fantastic. You can find her thread right here on KB, just search for "Oops Detection." 

1 - 20 of 28 Posts