Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm definitely enjoying June right now. With the Kindle DX coming out in 9 days, and the Sims 3 coming out tomorrow - I'm in a pretty good mood. Any other Sims fans out there?

I've been waiting for the Sims 3 to come out for about a year. I was not very happy when they postponed the release date to June, when it was supposed to come out in February. Ah, well. The long wait better have been worth it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
God yes!

Though according to Amazon my copy doesn't ship until June 8th???  I pre-ordered the second it was available on their site.  (I got the collector's edition.) 

I love playing.  I have two neighborhoods.  The first one is Sunnydale, where every character is someone from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (aging turned off).  The second one is my Scottish farming community that has turned rather wealthy.  I'm in the fourth generation (fifth is on it's way) of McGreggors, MacKeans, McCulloughs, and Abercrombies, lots of redheads running around and having fun digging up realistic names and building houses that fit.  They've got a great town square and a Scottish church with graveyard.  I've got families worth anywhere from 1/2 million to 1.5 million.  I'm not using money cheats, but while great-grandpa was poor, by now the family farm is paid off and a fat nest egg is in the bank.  ;D

Lara Amber

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Yep.

I'm going to have to remove 2 to make room for 3.

But I'm excited to see if the characters are really as unique and complex as hyped.  :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
I love playing Sims, but do not do it often because I end up staying up too late! When Sims 3 gets here it will be hard to decide -Sims or Kindleboards ;D.

I like building houses a lot and tend to use money cheats because I'm just not patient enough ;)

Lynn L

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I never understand why these things are called cheats. It's open-ended game play. Some people like to build. Some like to make everybody start stupid and poor, and other people like to create a community with poor, middle-class, and rich -- and the only way to do it is to give some households  more money than others.

When I first started with 2, of course I did the whole family with no skills and little money thing, but it seems to me that if you make families, they should have different skills and assets so that you can imagine they have a past.

I had the Reeds -- they were very much the perfect family, at least at the beginning. :D The mother was a cooking, cleaning SAHM, and I gave her the starting skills to be that. The Ivy family was about education, so the parents started out with lots of logic (Sophia and Jason), and the kids focused on that -- Yale, Harvard, Athena, and Socrates.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oh man, I haven't played in years, like REALLY played.  I've loved ALL forms of the Sims and sim games (I even had Sim Tower!).  I've only seen Sim 3 print advertisements, haven't even looked into this new version.  I'm a house-builder though, loving to build my dreams :)

·
Registered
921 Posts
I have to say I never understood how to play those Sims games.  It must be me, but I never got it. 

·
Registered
780 Posts
Kevin- I have only really played Sims, never really could get into Sim City  and the others. I think I just like messing with these people's lives ;D.
It's amazing how the game has evolved. In Sims 1 I know I spent way to much time micromanaging my families, now at least they are pretty good about going to the bathroom and feeding themselves! With Sims 3 your Sims can actually leave their own lot and wander the neighborhood- should be cool. Just got my notice from Amazon saying my game shipped- should be here tomorrow. I also got the collector's edition

Lynn L

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LaraAmber said:
God yes!

Though according to Amazon my copy doesn't ship until June 8th??? I pre-ordered the second it was available on their site. (I got the collector's edition.)

I love playing. I have two neighborhoods. The first one is Sunnydale, where every character is someone from Buffy the Vampire Slayer (aging turned off). The second one is my Scottish farming community that has turned rather wealthy. I'm in the fourth generation (fifth is on it's way) of McGreggors, MacKeans, McCulloughs, and Abercrombies, lots of redheads running around and having fun digging up realistic names and building houses that fit. They've got a great town square and a Scottish church with graveyard. I've got families worth anywhere from 1/2 million to 1.5 million. I'm not using money cheats, but while great-grandpa was poor, by now the family farm is paid off and a fat nest egg is in the bank. ;D

Lara Amber
I originally preordered mine back in December, but decided this week that I would just preorder it from Best Buy, and pick it up this tomorrow. So, now I get it on the release date, and I canceled my original order from Amazon. :)

I have also created families based off stuff - such as Twilight. I know, I know what everyone's thinking on that. It's my guilty pleasure.

I also do not use money cheats. It's fun to try to build money, instead of having an infinite amount of it.

kevin63 said:
I have to say I never understood how to play those Sims games. It must be me, but I never got it.
You really have to get into the whole simulation and RPG type thing. Which is what I loved about the Sims. You can run someone else's life basically. It's so entertaining, and can amuse me for hours. Though, it does get boring. Then eventually, I'll stop, but sometime later, I'll hop right back into it. I go through phases, just like everyone else does with different things.

Shadowraven said:
Oh man, I haven't played in years, like REALLY played. I've loved ALL forms of the Sims and sim games (I even had Sim Tower!). I've only seen Sim 3 print advertisements, haven't even looked into this new version. I'm a house-builder though, loving to build my dreams :)
I was definitely one to try to build houses as fast as I could, so I could get right into the gameplay. Normally, I just add stuff as I go, and it ends up looking cluttered. *sigh* I just don't have much patience. But since Sims 3 is coming out with a ton of new building tools, I think I'll be messing around with it.

MichelleR said:
Yep.

I'm going to have to remove 2 to make room for 3.

But I'm excited to see if the characters are really as unique and complex as hyped. :)
I made room for it as soon as I heard about it, but then it got postponed! So, I went without Sims for a long period of time. I can't wait!

·
Registered
607 Posts
It appeals to the storywriter in me. (Since I don't have the energy to say, sit my butt down and write!)

Example:

Jasmine McCullough is a romance Sim. She went off the college and went to the same wealthy fraternity as my other sims, after college she moved to my Scottish neighborhood with two girlfriends who quickly got married and moved out. In college she had one boyfriend, the school mascot, and was really into music. She wanted to be a rock star. She was too busy in school trying to catch up with everyone else to really go crazy, so after college she went a little overboard. Even though she was still occasionally seeing the mascot, she started dating other men, including hooking up with one of her college professors. So now she has five lovers while busily pursuing her music career. She's finally made it in her career, and boom, she's knocked up by one of her boyfriends. He wants to marry her (family Sim) and while she occasionally thinks life would be simpler, she's got commitment issues. Especially since the men she's really attracted to are all married to her best female friends, and she does have some morals. So a single mother she remains. Though now she has to make sure both her son's father and her son don't find out about the other men in her life. A little difficult with Daddy stopping by unannounced all the time. So she has to juggle 5 lovers (some of which are providing financial support), a baby, and still working on making ends meet in a neighborhood out of her price range while her career takes off.

Between the storylines and the getting to build neat houses, what's not to love? Plus you can mix in paranormal elements while you play house (aliens, vampires, werewolves, witches, plant people, robots).

Lara Amber

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
My oldest daughter and I love Sims 2. The only problem is that we both lose track of time and get way too wrapped up in it. School and house work don't get done by either of us...I have all the expansion packs.

It doesn't get played much anymore. Too many other things to do.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hells yes!

I've been waiting very.... very.... very very very patiently... And now there's only 2 more days to go for us here in Australia. Yay!

The fact that it's going to be a hybrid disc for both PC and Mac is very awesome. Most developers don't care too much for us Mac users (though there likely is a huge chunk of Sims lovers who use Macs). I'm curious to know if they've just relied on emulation for Mac, though (as they did with Spore). If it runs better in Windows, I'll just play on my XP partition on my iMac, no big deal. It would be nice to have it run natively in OSX though.

We should all probably start coming to terms with the fact that it's going to be a huuuuuuge time-waster for all of us. Haha. I can spend HOURS playing the Sims, non-stop. I hope my Kindle won't feel too abandoned.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
reemixx said:
Hells yes!

I've been waiting very.... very.... very very very patiently... And now there's only 2 more days to go for us here in Australia. Yay!

The fact that it's going to be a hybrid disc for both PC and Mac is very awesome. Most developers don't care too much for us Mac users (though there likely is a huge chunk of Sims lovers who use Macs). I'm curious to know if they've just relied on emulation for Mac, though (as they did with Spore). If it runs better in Windows, I'll just play on my XP partition on my iMac, no big deal. It would be nice to have it run natively in OSX though.

We should all probably start coming to terms with the fact that it's going to be a huuuuuuge time-waster for all of us. Haha. I can spend HOURS playing the Sims, non-stop. I hope my Kindle won't feel too abandoned.
Haha. I haven't even gotten my Kindle DX, and I have a feeling that it'll feel abandoned after it has lost its newness to me. Until the Decalgirl skins arrive, and I'll get all hyped up again. But then again there are 9 days apart from when I will get them. So, maybe I'll get bored of the Sims 3 too soon. Who knows?

luvmy4brats said:
My oldest daughter and I love Sims 2. The only problem is that we both lose track of time and get way too wrapped up in it. School and house work don't get done by either of us...I have all the expansion packs.

It doesn't get played much anymore. Too many other things to do.
I totally agree with you. I'm so glad that it's coming out during summer break. Otherwise none of my schoolwork would of been done.

LaraAmber said:
It appeals to the storywriter in me. (Since I don't have the energy to say, sit my butt down and write!)

Example:

Jasmine McCullough is a romance Sim. She went off the college and went to the same wealthy fraternity as my other sims, after college she moved to my Scottish neighborhood with two girlfriends who quickly got married and moved out. In college she had one boyfriend, the school mascot, and was really into music. She wanted to be a rock star. She was too busy in school trying to catch up with everyone else to really go crazy, so after college she went a little overboard. Even though she was still occasionally seeing the mascot, she started dating other men, including hooking up with one of her college professors. So now she has five lovers while busily pursuing her music career. She's finally made it in her career, and boom, she's knocked up by one of her boyfriends. He wants to marry her (family Sim) and while she occasionally thinks life would be simpler, she's got commitment issues. Especially since the men she's really attracted to are all married to her best female friends, and she does have some morals. So a single mother she remains. Though now she has to make sure both her son's father and her son don't find out about the other men in her life. A little difficult with Daddy stopping by unannounced all the time. So she has to juggle 5 lovers (some of which are providing financial support), a baby, and still working on making ends meet in a neighborhood out of her price range while her career takes off.

Between the storylines and the getting to build neat houses, what's not to love? Plus you can mix in paranormal elements while you play house (aliens, vampires, werewolves, witches, plant people, robots).

Lara Amber
That's a great storyline! I do the same thing you do. It's quite entertaining when you're running the lives of other people. Now that the neighborhoods are seamless, it'll be much more easier to do. I can go all over town and meet people.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If anyone is interested, Sims 3 for the iPhone / iPod Touch is now available.

I'm pretty surprised - didn't think it would be released 'til OS 3.0. Not sure if I'll buy it yet; I tend to play iPhone games for all of 5 minutes before becoming bored. But if anyone else buys it, please let me know what you think.

·
Registered
148 Posts
  oooh, I just love Sims.  I have most of the expasions for 2 & tend to play forever when I play.  ;D  I;m not good at the actaul building but I do like the interior decorating.  & tend to use cheats... LOL
  I tend to have a few paranormal families on my block too... makes for interesting game play  :)

Please let me know what you think of Sims 3.  I am considering buying it but DH is worried about the space to play it... thinks we may need a new PC just for it....  ;D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I played the original SIMS game and aftera while I realized how time consuming it was and addicting

·
Registered
257 Posts
cheerio said:
I played the original SIMS game and aftera while I realized how time consuming it was and addicting
Hahaha, The Sims is many things, including time-consuming and addictive. It's almost as addictive as an MMORPG, and that's reeeaaally saying something. But that's all part of it's charm. It's just *that* type of game. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

There's only about 9 hours 'til I'll have a copy of Sims 3 in my hot little hands. I can't wait! With all the E3 stuff that's been announced, I'm so pumped to play a brand new game right now. Yeah, I'm a dork. :D

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you heard all the problems with the game? I'm one of those people. Whenever I launch the game, the no disc in drive message comes up. I have succumb to downloading the digital version, in hopes of playing it sometime soon. It's still downloading, and it's taking 11 HOURS. I'm was so angry yesterday. I just don't have the strength anymore to care. I just want the game to work. One more hour to go... I pray that it works. I waited so long for this game to come out and it doesn't even work. I'm jealous of those who just popped it in, and worked magically for them.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah... I've heard about all the problems, but haven't looked into it in-depth yet 'cause I won't have the game until tonight. If it was me, I'd probably try creating a disc image of the DVD and mounting it using daemon-tools or something similar (assuming you're on a Windows machine). Have you tried that? I've had this happen with previous games, but that usually solved the problem for me. Though, if you're downloading a digital copy, I'm pretty sure that will work just fine.

It's a pain when stuff like this happens, though. And the worst part is, the game publishers (I'm looking at you, EA) usually don't care.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts