Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm not the only teacher around here! And as we all know, teachers count down the days at least as much as the kids. ;D

I teach science grades 4th-8th. We get out at noon on Friday. We have a workday on Saturday and then an annual Survivor-themed party where all the teachers get intensely competitive doing insanely silly challenges. Great way to end the year.

So what's your countdown?

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
drenfrow said:
I know I'm not the only teacher around here! And as we all know, teachers count down the days at least as much as the kids. ;D
One day near the end of the school year, when my kids were in middle school, I realized how close we were til the end of the year and had this conversation with them:

Me: Hey - did you know there's only 20 school days left?
DS: Yeah, yeah, that's all we hear about.
Me: Oh, the kids are pretty excited, huh?
DS: No, it's all the teachers talk about!

:D

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I am a student counting down the days

·
Registered
882 Posts
DH is a counselor and is really counting the days. I think they have 1 student day left (after today), but he has an extended contract. There were MAJOR cuts to education this year, and there will be more next year.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
4Katie said:
One day near the end of the school year, when my kids were in middle school, I realized how close we were til the end of the year and had this conversation with them:

Me: Hey - did you know there's only 20 school days left?
DS: Yeah, yeah, that's all we hear about.
Me: Oh, the kids are pretty excited, huh?
DS: No, it's all the teachers talk about!

:D
I am so not surprised. ;)
cheerio said:
I am a student counting down the days
I've seen references lately on KB to people being out of school and I always wonder if it's teachers or students.
Hoosiermama said:
DH is a counselor and is really counting the days. I think they have 1 student day left (after today), but he has an extended contract. There were MAJOR cuts to education this year, and there will be more next year.
My tiny school has cutbacks too. We are losing three staff members this year and replacing one. Ugh. The school is so small, everyone has to do so many jobs already, and the past few years, it's just been more and more... Oh well, I am glad I have a job!

·
Registered
9,515 Posts
drenfrow said:
;)I've seen references lately on KB to people being out of school and I always wonder if it's teachers or students.
Well, I am a college student and have been out since May 2. Taking the summer off before *hopefully* starting Nursing school.

And my HS kids get out this Friday, and my mom who teaches in California gets out June 11th.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Hehe I'm a grad student and finished school at the end of April, so I've been out for awhile! I actually worked in a school earlier this year though (I have my teaching license), so I know all those teachers are counting down the days, as are all my friends who went through the same teaching program as me and got teaching jobs. :D

I'm actually going to be doing a bit of teaching this summer at a summer though. Teaching the basics of engineering to a bunch of elementary school students at a summer program!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm a full year worker, so I watch and despise all you teachers that incessantly BRAG that you get the summer off  ;D !! 
Every May/June I wish I was a teacher.  But I'd be terrible at it, so you should thank me that I'm not ha ha!! 

·
Registered
882 Posts
I'm a full year worker, so I watch and despise all you teachers that incessantly BRAG that you get the summer off Grin !!
Every May/June I wish I was a teacher. But I'd be terrible at it, so you should thank me that I'm not ha ha!!
It's worse being MARRIED to one! I'm jealous every Christmas vacation and summer vacation. Then I watch what's going on in education, and think not only would I be AWFUL at teaching, but I look at the stress with all the cutbacks and just the general lack of respect teachers/educators get, and I know I would have a baaaaad attitude.

We have schools year who are laying off people with 10 years of experience. Essentially, if you are in teaching and have a few years of experience and get laid off, that's the end of your teaching career. Sad times right now in education.

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
I am a school librarian.  We finish for the summer on June 17, which is about a week later than our usual start of summer vacation.  We have made up all of the days we had off because of snowstorms, so I am not sur why the year was extended.  I do know that I get NO sympathy from any of my family members when I whine about the extra days.  It does remind me of that very old joke: What are the three top reasons for being a teacher?  June, July, and August

·
Registered
700 Posts
We're homeschoolers.  Although we never completely stop schooling, we do scale back quite a bit for six weeks or so during the summer.  So yeah, I'm counting the days!  Eight more school days and we'll go from six or seven hours a day to just one or two.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jen said:
I'm a full year worker, so I watch and despise all you teachers that incessantly BRAG that you get the summer off ;D !!
Every May/June I wish I was a teacher. But I'd be terrible at it, so you should thank me that I'm not ha ha!!
My husband is a wildland firefighter and he has ~3 months off in the winter. So we both have jobs with the big chunk of time off but not at the same time! And both jobs are the type that you can't take a week off in the middle of your work time. So two weeks at Christmas is pretty much the only time we ever have off together. So he's jealous of me now and I'm jealous of him in November. :D

·
Registered
9 Posts
Oh sure, you guys are counting down the days till freedom - I'm counting down the days until my house is overfull when I'm used to being alone during the day.

My youngest graduates HS this year, but then her best friend is moving in with us (her parents are moving to a house without enough room having previously heard from their daughter she was getting her own place??). Then in July my son and his family (two grandkids making a total of 4 of them) will be moving up here from AZ and staying with us until they find a place of their own. There will then be eight people living in this house that was only intended for no more than four at best.

Oh, and did I mention my cats??

What a fun place this will be and all while all of you are enjoying your freedom for the summer.  ;D

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eternal_Naturist said:
Oh sure, you guys are counting down the days till freedom - I'm counting down the days until my house is overfull when I'm used to being alone during the day.
Well that just seems unfair. You get the last one graduated and they all start moving back! ;)

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
Picnic day tomorrow... Splash Day on Thursday which is a 1/2 day... Friday is Pizza Party day and another 1/2 day... Monday is a holiday. Tues-Fri we only have 1/2 our children, then I teach summer school Monday - Thursday in June... BUT I am off in JULY! :D So... yea... I don't know... how many is that? ::)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
DD is a second year teacher in Norfolk.  She is definitely counting the days, but they have weeks to go; I think they finish June 21. 

As much as she wants the year to be over, she is concerned about what next year will bring.  They were told that contracts might not be issued until July or August.  She has to make a decision on her apartment lease in June.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts