Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had any success developing connections with fans... so I can't even say that I do have "fans" but I am getting some follow through buying of my titles.

It's my guess that folks don't really want to sign up to be notified of releases from an erotica writer.  Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to build a connection with an erotica fan base?

Thanks!!!   :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I have almost 200 people on my mailing list, and most of my work is erotica (under a different pen name). Even though it's not a phenomenal sign up rate in comparison to the numbers that I have sold, it is better than nothing and it does help when you have new releases. So, I definitely recommend putting a link to your sign up form in the back of all of your books.

It also helps to put an excerpt to one of your similar works in the back of your books with a link that will take the reader to where they can buy that book, as well as links to the other stuff that you've written. Leave as many breadcrumbs as you can without getting too annoying about it.

You could also link to your Facebook page.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! 

I haven't built in live links to my other works yet via my published works although I do list my other titles.  But, I do see the value of making it as convenient as possible for the reader.

As for a sign up list, I've been giving them my email address in a live link dedicated for the purpose of being added to a mailing list -- but I've had no takers.  I don't have a built in link to take them to a form -- but it's sounding like I need to do that.  To be fair, up to just prior to March, I only had 6 titles out (not all the same series, 2 each for 3 diff series) so that could have been a pretty big limiting factor in getting people to connect.

I'm considering pushing my twitter account recommending people "follow" to get notified of when I have a new release out.  I'm not very active on it but figured that might be a good reach out option that people might feel safer on?  Just guesses here.... 

I'm not active on Facebook at all (although I do have an account).  I am really resisting being active there until I'm able to quit my day job.  It's hard for me to be able to fit in the writing work because of time issues. I really need to keep my reach out efforts streamlined for now and I am scared to death of fb as a time hog!!!

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
There a Facebook erotica page called What To Read After Fifty Shades. Check it out, reach out to the owner (which isn't me nor are we connected), by sharing your book in a post. It's okay to do so and they have thousands of fans. I've done it...worth a shot a couple times a month.  ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
There a Facebook erotica page called What To Read After Fifty Shades. Check it out, reach out tothe owner (which isn't me mor are we connected), by sharing your book in a post. It's okay to do so and they have thousands of fans. I've done it...worth a shot a couple times a month. ;)
Thanks! :D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
That's what I'm here for...plus, we erotica authors really have to stick together, pun intended. ;D
Okay Sean, now I've gotta harsh on you a little. I was kinda thrown when you said us erotica writers have to stick together. From your covers I would have never guessed that you wrote erotica! Then, of course, I took a closer look at your books. Wow... I LOVE the premises you've got going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also watched the author video you have up (was that you playing the male lead?... Please, please tell me that was you.... Ohhh MY!)

And, I read your bio and it strikes very close to my own heart. I am no where near being lucrative through my writing and while it is initially earmarked to take care of some things close to home first, I've got big big plans that have everything to do with my money going out the door to help others. I fantasize about helping others with the money about ten times as much as I do about what I want to do with it for myself.

As for the fussing -- Sean, your covers!!!! Your premises are so solid and intriguing!!! But I didn't get that from your covers. Your Jessica covers look rock solid to me from the premise (though I don't have the best of eye for it yet). But your other covers could be freaking awesome based on what you have to offer within the story. Maybe you could start a thread and get some of the others to chime in. Like I said, I'm quite the novice at such things. But... I am kinda proud of my Daddy Substitute covers. ;)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:
Okay Sean, now I've gotta harsh on you a little. I was kinda thrown when you said us erotica writers have to stick together. From your covers I would have never guessed that you wrote erotica! Then, of course, I took a closer look at your books. Wow... I LOVE the premises you've got going on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I also watched the author video you have up (was that you playing the male lead?... Please, please tell me that was you.... Ohhh MY!)

And, I read your bio and it strikes very close to my own heart. I am no where near being lucrative through my writing and while it is initially earmarked to take care of some things close to home first, I've got big big plans that have everything to do with my money going out the door to help others. I fantasize about helping others with the money about ten times as much as I do about what I want to do with it for myself.

As for the fussing -- Sean, your covers!!!! Your premises are so solid and intriguing!!! But I didn't get that from your covers. Your Jessica covers look rock solid to me from the premise (though I don't have the best of eye for it yet). But your other covers could be freaking awesome based on what you have to offer within the story. Maybe you could start a thread and get some of the others to chime in. Like I said, I'm quite the novice at such things. But... I am kinda proud of my Daddy Substitute covers. ;)
I'm going to jump in and ask a question here - Sean, who is your primary fan base? eBooks are international, and from my travels throughout India and Africa, for example, I have learnt that the taste in design can vastly differ from country to country. In the west we are used to a certain style, but in those countries shining glowing letters on black backgrounds such as Sean has are pretty popular. Images are also judged from a different perspective. I won't be surprised if he has a large amount of fans on the African continent...so Ada I think he should study his fan base and I wouldn't suggest changing his covers if they are already popular...

Melody

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Melody Simmons said:
I'm going to jump in and ask a question here - Sean, who is your primary fan base? eBooks are international, and from my travels throughout India and Africa, for example, I have learnt that the taste in design can vastly differ from country to country. In the west we are used to a certain style, but in those countries shining glowing letters on black backgrounds such as Sean has are pretty popular. Images are also judged from a different perspective. I won't be surprised if he has a large amount of fans on the African continent...so Ada I think he should study his fan base and I wouldn't suggest changing his covers if they are already popular...

Melody
Ahhhh, good point! Like I said, I'm a pretty serious novice with covers still.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:

Hi, Ada, love your post and thanks! First off: Yes, that's me as the male lead in my Michigan based t.v. series, Great Lake State, which is a romance/suspense drama. The book series of the same name was launched after the series pilot episode in fall 2011. Maybe I should clarify my response. I'm an author who writes many genres of literary works, erotica being one, but as well as romance suspense, paranormal, horror and vampires. As for my covers, most are screenshots taken from my t.v. series, moments in time, if you will. I'm quite happy with them, but will certainly be improving them as time and more book launches take place. Glad you enjoyed my Amazon profile video clips...some of my acting since ABC'S Detroit 187 in 2010. I played a co-star cop in episode six alongside Michael Imperioli! ;D

Yes, Melody, great observation. We're quite popular overseas as well the States. I love our covers, but I understand the critique if one thinks they're mostly erotica. Actually, I'm mostly a romance author, but enjoying the indie freedom to write whatever I like and when I like. ;D

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Facebook is where I have most of my action, but I have to say--it's hazardous for an erotica writer. I had to finally turn off chat as I was getting to many WAZZZUP, LET'S CHATZ messages.

I have links to forms in all my books (six) and a few sign ups, but not a lot.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
Yes, Melody, great observation. We're quite popular overseas as well the States. I love our covers, but I understand the critique if one thinks they're most erotica...actually, I'm mostly a romance author, but enjoying the indie freedom to write whatever I like and when I like. ;D
Oh, I just wanted to point out that often we have preconceived ideas about what a cover should look like and what it should not look like - but we have to judge by results. If you are selling thousands of books and your fans love your covers, then no need to change! But if you are not getting good results, then you may want to try different covers.

Melody

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Melody Simmons said:
Oh, I just wanted to point out that often we have preconceived ideas about what a cover should look like and what it should not look like - but we have to judge by results. If you are selling thousands of books and your fans love your covers, then no need to change! But if you are not getting good results, then you may want to try different covers.

Melody
Agreed, it's all about results. 1202 books sold since November 2010. I think I'll stay with the covers that are responsible for nearly 100 sales a month now. However, I truly appreciate you and Ada taking the time to offer me your valuable insights. Much success to you both!! ;D

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
TexasGirl said:
Facebook is where I have most of my action, but I have to say--it's hazardous for an erotica writer. I had to finally turn off chat as I was getting to many WAZZZUP, LET'S CHATZ messages.

I have links to forms in all my books (six) and a few sign ups, but not a lot.
Ohhhh... the black hole of space and time that is Facebook. I will admit, I am a total dunce when it comes to fb. Seriously. I at some point plan to go watch some videos or something on how to navigate it. I get in there and stuff just isn't where I think it should be!!! I gotta say, I get frustrated with it. And I'm not a total techie noob -- I use GIMP for Pete's sake.

Good to know about the hit-on stuff. lol ... Sigh, I should probably get into creating a presence there now but my time is so limited. Maybe if I give it one hour a week....

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
Agreed, it's all about results. 1202 books sold since November 2010. I think I'll stay with the covers that are responsible for nearly 100 sales a month now. However, I truly appreciate you and Ada taking the time to offer me your valuable insights. Much success to you both!! ;D
Oooo Sean... You've got 22 titles out on Amazon. 100 sales a month isn't very many for that many titles. Another author I know has roughly the same number of short stories up, albeit all in the same genre, and she sold over 400 last month (if I've got my info right). Like I said, your premises are intriguing and pulled me in big time. But, I wasn't connecting emotionally through the cover art. I really, really feel that you could triple your sales easily. It could be an interesting month-long experiment if nothing else.

All that said, they are your books and what you want to do is the bottom line and I've got to respect that. I just wanted to put it out there that I think your potential for sales is Much greater than what you're currently experiencing.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Ada O'Flaherty said:
Oooo Sean... You've got 22 titles out on Amazon. 100 sales a month isn't very many for that many titles. Another author I know has roughly the same number of short stories up, albeit all in the same genre, and she sold over 400 last month (if I've got my info right). Like I said, your premises are intriguing and pulled me in big time. But, I wasn't connecting emotionally through the cover art. I really, really feel that you could triple your sales easily. It could be an interesting month-long experiment if nothing else.

All that said, they are your books and what you want to do is the bottom line and I've got to respect that. I just wanted to put it out there that I think your potential for sales is Much greater than what you're currently experiencing.
Thanks, Ada. Remember that I'm selling singles of series as well as series sets. I'm grateful for 100 sales a month and rising. I don't compare my books or success to that of others...too many dynamics come into play for such comparisons. I'm pleased and so are my book fans. I only see higher heights from here. ;)

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SEAN H. ROBERTSON said:
Thanks, Ada. Remember that I'm selling singles of series as well as series sets. I'm grateful for 100 sales a month and rising. I don't compare my books or success to that of others...too many dynamics come into play for such comparisons. I'm pleased and so are my book fans. I only see higher heights from here. ;)
Very graciously said! :D
I do hope for you all the success your heart can find joy in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.